The developers of The The Witcher 3 want to make a stand against paid DLC

Rohith_Kumar_Sp
D Projekt co-founder and joint CEO Marcin Iwiński tells IGN that the developer is releasing 16 free The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt downloadable post-launch content packs to make a statement against the “steeply priced” paid DLC economy.

“Because people just paid full price for our game,” Iwiński responded when we asked why the developer is releasing its next 16 DLC packs for free. “We owe them.”

“Yeah, we are making a statement,” he added. “We, as gamers, would like to be treated this way, 'Hey, give me free DLC.' It doesn't have to be something huge. And I'm saying we aren't giving out huge stuff, we aren't giving tens of hours of storyline here, we are giving small bits of pieces that don't cost a lot. And I think people would feel better about our game, and, so, they will enjoy the adventure even more.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Recap Video
03:20
“And maybe the ones who thought about pirating would not pirate it,” Iwiński added. “Maybe the ones who wanted to trade it back and get something else will keep it on the shelf. That'd be great, I would like this to happen and if not that's fine as well. I hope they'll have fun.”

Iwiński added that despite past suggestions from potential publishers to go to multiplayer with The Witcher titles, it stands by its continued dedication to single-player with Geralt as the main protagonist.

“Initially, when we were talking to different publishing partners, they were coming over to our studio with focus tests saying, 'Hey! RPG is the trend now. There has to be multiplayer, and multi-character selection, and there has to be a female character.'” said Iwińsk. “And we said, 'No, no, it's about Geralt. We have the books, we have the lore. It's true, it works, it's consistent.'

"So we're not talking to these guys anymore,” he added. “But we've always had a strong vision of what we want to achieve and even having that, it's not easy. And overcomplicating it and adding something on the side, just because it looks better on the box, or maybe it works better in the press or promotion, [multiplayer] was never our style. And its truly a single-player game. And I think that's what people appreciate, nothing artificially stuck on the side just to make it look better. It's the story of Geralt, the professional monster hunter, and that's it."

CD Projekt Red revealed in November that The Witcher 3 will be receiving 16 DLC packages, free of charge across all platforms without pre-order or special edition purchase requirements.

Iwiński stated at the time that the developer believes consumers shouldn't have to spend "steep" amounts for “lots of tiny pieces of tempting content” post-launch. "Haven’t we just paid a lot of cash for a brand new game? As CD Projekt Red, we strongly believe this is not the way it should work and, with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, we have decided to do it differently,” said Iwiński.

The Witcher 3's Second Playable Character is Revealed - IGN News
00:59
Launching May19 on PC, PS4 and Xbox One, players will be able to download the first two pieces of DLC on shortly after its release: the horse armour 'Temerian Armour Set' and a 'Beard and Hairstyle Set' for Geralt. A DLC bundle containing two components will be released every week for free after this date.

"DLC, it’s small content," said head of marketing and PR Michal Platkow-Gilewski last September. "Like one-thousandth of the whole game. Why should you charge for that? If it’s small, give it for free. I know it’s not always possible or easy but this is what we want to give gamers; a little bit of love, which we’d like to get from other developers as gamers ourselves."

10872946_10152731756551633_9198366867486

Source : http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/26/the-witcher-3-dev-on-making-a-stand-against-paid-dlc

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Thats all well and good, I still won't preorder from them or make a purchase till a week after release so I know EXACTLY what I'm getting into. 

I don't get why people think CDPR are "good guys" and deserve a pass. Bungie were good guys too, they went and did Destiny. Ubisoft were good guys too, they did last year. EA and DICE botched up BF4 so bad, I am SHOCKED they managed to fix it all this past summer. 

And I don't get people who still encourage this pre-order/day one DLC nonsense. The only DLC that makes sense is DLC that was developed after the game went Gold. After the games been on market for 6 or so months. Not 3 months later because screw you, you'll pay. That kind of DLC doesn't make a lick of sense. 

I like paid DLC When it comes out after a good time after the game has gone gold...

No one is going to stop paid DLC. Money is power, the more the better and everyone wants more money.

So... Yeah.

Thats all well and good, I still won't preorder from them or make a purchase till a week after release so I know EXACTLY what I'm getting into. 

I don't get why people think CDPR are "good guys" and deserve a pass. Bungie were good guys too, they went and did Destiny. Ubisoft were good guys too, they did last year. EA and DICE botched up BF4 so bad, I am SHOCKED they managed to fix it all this past summer. 

And I don't get people who still encourage this pre-order/day one DLC nonsense. The only DLC that makes sense is DLC that was developed after the game went Gold. After the games been on market for 6 or so months. Not 3 months later because screw you, you'll pay. That kind of DLC doesn't make a lick of sense. 

The only time I pre-order a game is if it's a collectors edition that I really really want :P

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

They should also make a stand against price discrimination based on region... $85 USD for Australians because they arbitrarily decided so. Physical copy is actually MUCH cheaper.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

We'll see.

As long as they stay in the clear though and follow up with their word on what they're saying, GG.

I myself hate paid DLC, especially if the original game hardly has any content to begin with.

I'm pretty sure that this is old news.

CD Project RED knows that they will get burned badly if they fail to deliver. So it would be incredibly foolish of them to disappoint their fans after they had earned our trust with the first 2 games. They are a relatively new and small dev so I'm actually thinking that if The Witcher 3 isn't as awesome as they are promising then they might actually set themselves up for failure with their next game which will also be a new IP.

i hate that they call it "Free DLC" when no one pays for it, pre order or not its not really DLC at that point, its just content that didn't make it out the door for release

Its free for everyone, there is no intentive to pre-order

i did because i saved $20, i only pre order when i get a discount.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

I actually don't mind paying for DLC. If it is good and worth the cash, I will shell it out. My problem is when DLC comes out before the game or a month after, and it is super shitty.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

its like the people you want to take all the money wont take it, but the bad ones take every chance to cash in :P

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

I was going to preorder anyways because witcher

glad they dont bring up a multiplayer, this game doesnt need one

and unlike ubi or ea or dice or bungie (console-only, a rpg this big, just on consoles? u kidding me right?) cdprojekt red puts EFFORD into their games you culd call it passion, as well as bioware(ok the consolish-ness of dragon age 2 is crappy as hell but fuck that i loved that game too) they have a fable for detail and they wont screw up with the witcher otherwise gerald is going to kill them :D

Main Rig:

-
CPU: i7-2600k @4.8 GHz - CPU cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD: Western Digital Green 1tb - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi r2 -

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Wisdom: You don't live longer if you're always in a hurry

I'm not against paid DLC if it actually adds something of value to a game. I certainly think that the Europa Universalis 4 expansion The Art of War is most certainly worth the cost

A bit surprised people are preordering this. I thought the community would learn.

Anyway I do expect the game to be good, but what I am really looking forward to is cyberpunk 2077. Am a sucker for Sci fi settings.

Elffriend is right, this was news a few months ago, when more shots were fired ("free horse armor")

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

No one here or in the article was promoting pre-order/day DLC. Their first DLC is planned to  release till a month after release (Enough time to iron out major issues with the game) They even said something against pre-order DLC.

"CD Projekt Red revealed in November that The Witcher 3 will be receiving 16 DLC packages, free of charge across all platforms without pre-order or special edition purchase requirements."

The reason people are giving CD Projekt a pass is because they have shown in the past that they can release properly finished games, give gamers what they want, and more.

I don't like the idea of pre-orders any more than anyone else. But I also think we need aa company in the game industry people cane trust. Companies like (some would sa) Nintendo, Valve 1st party stuff. 

CD Projekt is one of those companies in my eyes.

Well I might actually consider buying the game then.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

They should also make a stand against price discrimination based on region... $85 USD for Australians because they arbitrarily decided so. Physical copy is actually MUCH cheaper.

I believe if you purchase from GOG, they will make up for the price difference by adding free credit to your account.

I believe if you purchase from GOG, they will make up for the price difference by adding free credit to your account.

Problem is, I don't want credit. It's still guaranteed money to CDPRD and GOG that should be mine and remain in my account. Personally doesn't matter because someone bought me The Witcher 3 pre-order on Steam as a gift so I don't have to pay for it anyway. However, this price gouging in the industry is increasing and it's really bad.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor