Does dual-channel memory make a difference?

nj4ck

Hey guys, I have a slight problem with my motherboard. Channel B will not post, it says something along the lines of "channel B failed CPU test, prease remove and retry". Well, I have played around with both DIMMs and both work, but only in the first and second slot closest to the socket. The other two slots appear to be dead, since whatever RAM I plug in there will not post and won't be recognized by the system. 

I've had this issue before and it always somehow resolved itself with some unplugging- and replugging, but not this time, at least so far. Does anybody know what could be wrong?

I'm absolutely too broke to get a new motherboard right now, and RMAing it isn't an option either. Can't afford to go several weeks without a PC.

What I've done now is I've plugged both DIMMs into the first two slots, which seems to work fine, but won't run in dual-channel mode. My question is: how much of a difference does dual-channel vs. single channel make? 

Not as much as people say it does.

But 2x4 and 1x8 (or any config similar) are usually the same price.

So, even if it's minimal, it's a no brainier.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

My question is: how much of a difference does dual-channel vs. single channel make? 

In most applications and games: none.

In a handful or memory intensive applications (mostly related to content creation: photo and video editing...3D modeling...) it can be as much as 10%.

Run your RAM in the slots that are working...if it posts it's fine by me.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

In most applications and games: none.

In a handful or memory intensive applications (mostly related to content creation: photo and video editing...3D modeling...) it can be as much as 10%.

Run your RAM in the slots that are working...if it posts it's fine by me.

+1