Should I delid?

nj4ck

Hey guys,

my 4670k (4.4GHz @ 1.3V) has been reaching almost 80°C under benchmarking loads lately. I have a full custom loop with 6x120mm rad space, so I don't think that is the issue. I was thinking about delidding it, since Intel's 4th-gen is known to have crappy TIM under the IHS.

Are any of you guys running delidded chips, can anyone give me an idea on how much the temps drop and whether or not its worth the risk?

You are running 1.3v, so I am not too concerned. And your temps will never be that high excluding benchmarks :P

It's risky, but temperature would drop dramatically.  (9-20C I think)

But as Whip said, you won't ever run at that high of a temperature when gaming/browsing. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

excluding benchmarks how hot does it run

it occasionally spikes up to about 75°C under gaming load.

You are running 1.3v, so I am not too concerned. And your temps will never be that high excluding benchmarks :P

well it used to max out at 65°C with Prime95. Now I just checked again and it instantly jumps to 100°C. Granted, that's Prime95, but it still shows some degradation.

My 4670k runs 4.5ghz @ 1.2v and manages 72c on a cm seidon 120v.

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

it occasionally spikes up to about 75°C under gaming load.

thats completely fine, try some new thermal paste and cleaning your rads. other then that i wouldn't bother delidding

I would change your thermal compound first before even thinking of delidding. But if you do decied to delid, I would find a new wb/braket to make direct contact instead of just intels compound

well it used to max out at 65°C with Prime95. Now I just checked again and it instantly jumps to 100°C. Granted, that's Prime95, but it still shows some degradation.

There is no way that such a new CPU could show any signs of degradation at only 1.3V already. Usually takes years at very high Voltages to see any effects at all. Prime95 applies an additional 0.05V to Haswell CPU's under load so that might be the cause of your issue.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

There is no way that such a new CPU could show any signs of degradation at only 1.3V already. Usually takes years at very high Voltages to see any effects at all. Prime95 applies an additional 0.05V to Haswell CPU's under load so that might be the cause of your issue.

Its not CPU degradation I'm talking about, its degradation of the TIM between the die and the IHS. My guess is that its dried out and isn't performing as well as it used to. As I said, when the CPU was new I tested it with Prime95 under the exact same conditions and it maxed out in the 60s after about 5 minutes. Now it jumps from 25C to 100C in a split second, which leads me to believe that the die isn't able to pass the heat on to the water block efficiently.

thats completely fine, try some new thermal paste and cleaning your rads. other then that i wouldn't bother delidding

My rads are fine and so is my thermal paste, or at least I think it is. I'm using Coolaboratory liquid metal, which shouldn't deteriorate over time. I really do think its the thermal paste under the IHS, because the CPU shoots from 25 to 100C so fast that I'm pretty sure the die is having issues passing the heat on.

OK, so I've been reading things about Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra drying up over time, which given the fact that it's metal, shouldn't be possible. Nevertheless, since I'm using the pads which are similar, I guess I'm going to need to see whats going on there. It could be an issue with the thermal compound, could also be the TIM on the die. 

I would absolutely try replacing your thermal compound first. I personally switched from the stock Corsair stuff on my H80i which actually made really really good contact to Arctic MX-2 and i saw between 4-8C difference under load at same settings.

I also think your voltage is quite high for your clock speed, but you also might just have a bad chip. My 4670k is running 4.5ghz @ 1.28V and ive been up to 4.7 @1.325V but it was mildly unstable. My AIDA64 numbers look around mid 70s under max FPU stress test.

Sometimes i troll...

3D Mark Fire Strike Score: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3854240 +215mhz Core Clock +440mhz Memory Clock @4.6ghz 1.325v

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/b1aze/saved/qQFxFT

I would absolutely try replacing your thermal compound first. I personally switched from the stock Corsair stuff on my H80i which actually made really really good contact to Arctic MX-2 and i saw between 4-8C difference under load at same settings.

I also think your voltage is quite high for your clock speed, but you also might just have a bad chip. My 4670k is running 4.5ghz @ 1.28V and ive been up to 4.7 @1.325V but it was mildly unstable. My AIDA64 numbers look around mid 70s under max FPU stress test.

mB5La2b.jpg

Just delidded, the thermal paste under the IHS was completely dry. Temps are now much better, staying below 75C in prime95 and below 60°C under gaming load. I didn't use the pads though, as I've been reading mixed reports about putting them directly on the die. I instead used some CoolerMaster stuff I had laying around. And yeah, I have a crap chip, that's why I'm pumping 1.3V through it just for 4.4GHz. 

:snip:

Just delidded, the thermal paste under the IHS was completely dry. Temps are now much better, staying below 75C in prime95 and below 60°C under gaming load. I didn't use the pads though, as I've been reading mixed reports about putting them directly on the die. I instead used some CoolerMaster stuff I had laying around. And yeah, I have a crap chip, that's why I'm pumping 1.3V through it just for 4.4GHz. 

Did you find the de-lidding process difficult? Was this your first time? Could you link a guide for me? I would be really interested in trying this once I have some spare cash to upgrade in the future.

Sometimes i troll...

3D Mark Fire Strike Score: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3854240 +215mhz Core Clock +440mhz Memory Clock @4.6ghz 1.325v

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/b1aze/saved/qQFxFT

Did you find the de-lidding process difficult? Was this your first time? Could you link a guide for me? I would be really interested in trying this once I have some spare cash to upgrade in the future.

yeah, it was my first time. Its not too difficult, but it's intimidating and throughout the whole process you feel like you're putting way too much force on it and it might snap at any moment. I used the razor-method because I don't have a vice, but I hear the vice method is safer and easier. There are several good guides for for both methods on youtube, like this one for the razor method: