i love reviews like this! The more attention that is brought to these products that are basically a money grabbing exercise the better. The problem is it is always the less tech savvy masses that buy into the hype.

This video raised a lot of questions in the audio noob inside me ^^

-does it actually make any difference to have lossless files compared to a high quality mp3 file? From what I know you wouldn't hear the difference anyway.

-when you're playing a high quality file is there a difference between analog and digital output? Shouldn't the digital signal me more precise?

-what exactly is dynamic range and why is saying that analog has better dynamic range than cd cathegorically wrong?

-if the quality of the file doesn't make that big a difference, what does? @LinusTech mentioned mastering technique, which different techniques are there and which are better?

Thanks!

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

-does it actually make any difference to have lossless files compared to a high quality mp3 file? From what I know you wouldn't hear the difference anyway.

If your your hearing is normally there won't be any difference.

However it is possible that your hearing is damaged eg after a blast injury so that the compression doesn't work for you properly, but that's a rare case.

Also it can be good to know that the music is uncompressed.

-when you're playing a high quality file is there a difference between analog and digital output? Shouldn't the digital signal me more precise?

You can't listen to digital music, you always have to use a DAC.

-what exactly is dynamic range and why is saying that analog has better dynamic range than cd cathegorically wrong?

Dynamic range is the difference between the quietest and loudest sound.

96dB for 16bit(CD) without noise shaping

Compact Cassette ~70dB with Dolby C

Studio grade tape recording ~105dB with Dolby SR

So that's not entirely true.

-if the quality of the file doesn't make that big a difference, what does? @LinusTech mentioned mastering technique, which different techniques are there and which are better?

Stop Loudness War!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

If your your hearing is normally there won't be any difference.

However it is possible that your hearing is damaged eg after a blast injury so that the compression doesn't work for you properly, but that's a rare case.

Also it can be good to know that the music is uncompressed.

You can't listen to digital music, you always have to use a DAC.

Dynamic range is the difference between the quietest and loudest sound.

96dB for 16bit(CD) without noise shaping

Compact Cassette ~70dB with Dolby C

Studio grade tape recording ~105dB with Dolby SR

So that's not entirely true.

Stop Loudness War!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

Ah, I see. Thanks!

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Linus You really went to town on them You may want to give them some burn cream before you are seen as "unreasonable" By all the Pono player fanboys (if there is any)

Do you guys think there is still for a dedicated mobile music player today?

I don't think there really is a place for it anymore. Phones are gaining more and more storage space that most people can hold most or even their whole music collection on their phone and save themselves from carrying an extra device.

Perhaps this was just a  crappy product but Linus admitted that he could not hear an audio difference between this and an Iphone 6. So the whole hi fi argument is kinda lost on me.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Do you guys think there is still for a dedicated mobile music player today?

Yes, because I couldn't find a decent Android music player app.

when i saw the video and heard linus say the device is over $100, i expected it to be in the range of $120s, but when i just saw another post and found out its priced at $399, i was surprised that this stupid device was on kick starter and got lots of backers...., yet again the world is full with ignorant people.

Poweramp does the trick for me.

I think I should download the trial version.

This honestly looks like something that would have come out 15 years ago, especially the build quality.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

What time is it Wendell?

Oh god, it's that time again..

Alright.  I am legitimately mad by the marketing of this bloody thing.  That artists, professional musicians would stand up and claim this piece of.. toss is worth the absolutely insane listening price.  My thoughts during the review were such:

1. Wow, for $400 the design of this thing is fucking terrible.  The materials used are just fucking awful.  This looks like any knock off MP3 player you can buy from China.  Terrible aesthetic and design.
  2. The screen, a god dam joke if you ask me.  I understand audio is the focus.  But for christ sakes that is again, the kind of screen you'd see on a chinese knock off device, not a flag ship "Revolutionary" audio player this is marketed to be
  3. Storage.  If you're going to market high bitrate files, 64GB is honestly unimpressive.  No, it's not terrible.. but come on guys for that much for JUST AN AUDIO player, I'd expect.. 128 at the least.
  4. The UI.. servicable but jesus christ, when it sleeps the only means to wake it is through pausing/playing or changing the volume.. What.. I can't even
  5. Dual Headphone jacks.. not a terrible feature but It didn't look like the contacts inside the connector were gold plated; honestly I'm not too worried about this.  It's the least of the problems.  My main complaint is why have that feature for one for right and one for left?  When will anyone ever use that?  Even if they do, who in their right mind would need that on a portable device?
  6. The shape.  The bloody shape.  What the.. f.. why.  I honestly cannot think of a shape that is less useful for utilizing the maximum area of the device for components, maybe a bloody circle.  Christ that is stupid.  If they made a nice aluminum box with moderate thickness instead of this insane design..  Jesus
  7. Battery Life.  8 Hours.  I get more on my I Phone.  My fucking, thin, multi functioned, I Phone.  Come on guys..

This device is a bad joke, I'm more mad about the incredible price tag.  It's just like Beats, bloody Streets by 50, all of this garbage.. whoever bought this I feel honestly bad for; this is a $50 device maybe.. just ridiculous.

What time is it Wendell?

Oh god, it's that time again..

Alright.  I am legitimately mad by the marketing of this bloody thing.  That artists, professional musicians would stand up and claim this piece of.. toss is worth the absolutely insane listening price.  My thoughts during the review were such:

1. Wow, for $400 the design of this thing is fucking terrible.  The materials used are just fucking awful.  This looks like any knock off MP3 player you can buy from China.  Terrible aesthetic and design.
  2. The screen, a god dam joke if you ask me.  I understand audio is the focus.  But for christ sakes that is again, the kind of screen you'd see on a chinese knock off device, not a flag ship "Revolutionary" audio player this is marketed to be
  3. Storage.  If you're going to market high bitrate files, 64GB is honestly unimpressive.  No, it's not terrible.. but come on guys for that much for JUST AN AUDIO player, I'd expect.. 128 at the least.
  4. The UI.. servicable but jesus christ, when it sleeps the only means to wake it is through pausing/playing or changing the volume.. What.. I can't even
  5. Dual Headphone jacks.. not a terrible feature but It didn't look like the contacts inside the connector were gold plated; honestly I'm not too worried about this.  It's the least of the problems.  My main complaint is why have that feature for one for right and one for left?  When will anyone ever use that?  Even if they do, who in their right mind would need that on a portable device?
  6. The shape.  The bloody shape.  What the.. f.. why.  I honestly cannot think of a shape that is less useful for utilizing the maximum area of the device for components, maybe a bloody circle.  Christ that is stupid.  If they made a nice aluminum box with moderate thickness instead of this insane design..  Jesus
  7. Battery Life.  8 Hours.  I get more on my I Phone.  My fucking, thin, multi functioned, I Phone.  Come on guys..

This device is a bad joke, I'm more mad about the incredible price tag.  It's just like Beats, bloody Streets by 50, all of this garbage.. whoever bought this I feel honestly bad for; this is a $50 device maybe.. just ridiculous.

LOL, I think Logan should review this too. Give Pono some serious double burns.

Toblerone-chocolate-522042_800_418.jpg

not surprised at all at the terrible reviews.  I was expecting it to suck when it was first announced.  $400 for a Toblerone, come on. 

I lol'ed at anyone who funded this kickstarter.

after watching this review i was dissapointed i want a good mp3 player other then apple cause i do not want to use itunes, it seems like if you want a decent mp3 your only option is an apple :(

lives on

BAKABT

after watching this review i was dissapointed i want a good mp3 player other then apple cause i do not want to use itunes, it seems like if you want a decent mp3 your only option is an apple :(

FiiO and Walkmans (Not the latest one) are pretty good too.

That video was excellent. Linus Sebastian continues to impress me.

I'll definitely purchase it and listen to it through my Beats and connect it to my stereo with my Monster Cables

What's the bet that my 4th gen iPod nano sounds better.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Pono Player... More like Poo Player. Heh!

-snip-

Heh heh buttmunch

Butthead.png

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life