Curious as to which card to purchase

riixupvp

Hey guys, I'm Joseph. Just a bit curious as to which card to purchase out there right now, I have a 1080p display and play titles such as,  WoW, minecraft, war thunder, garry's mod, shadow of mordor, battlefield 4 and some racing titles. I want above 60 fps so my gameplay is smooth. I have everything but the GPU currently and my budget is $422.73, I would not like to spend all of that necessarily, but if pointed towards a card I must buy I could justify it, thanks for reading this and helping out. (also amd or nvidia I don't mind which) Have a good day

970, for sure.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Hey guys, I'm Joseph. Just a bit curious as to which card to purchase out there right now, I have a 1080p display and play titles such as,  WoW, minecraft, war thunder, garry's mod, shadow of mordor, battlefield 4 and some racing titles. I want above 60 fps so my gameplay is smooth. I have everything but the GPU currently and my budget is $422.73, I would not like to spend all of that necessarily, but if pointed towards a card I must buy I could justify it, thanks for reading this and helping out. (also amd or nvidia I don't mind which) Have a good day

A 970 perhaps? Might want to wait though as recent VRAM issues should hopefully be addressed by Nvidia with a recall to swap firmware to allocate for all 4GB of VRAM.

Anyways, for what you're doing, go for the 970.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I have a i5 4690k, 16 gigs of ram, 2 tb hard drive, gigabyte motherboard, h100i and a bunch o fans. Now for the 970,  which one would be the quietest version? no coil whine and fans not sounding loud as heck.

I have a i5 4690k, 16 gigs of ram, 2 tb hard drive, gigabyte motherboard, h100i and a bunch o fans. Now for the 970,  which one would be the quietest version? no coil whine and fans not sounding loud as heck.

Probably the Asus Strix, but you can manually idle any card in afterburner. I've heard the strix is great but I have a gigabyte G1 that idles until 50C and its pretty quiet even under load, It only whined when i first got it and stress tessted it, but afterward I never heard anything while gaming or in any other stress test.

Probably the Asus Strix, though any card you get will be pretty damn quiet at idle.

GTX 970 is a crippled POS so go for an AMD card this time or a 980.

r9 290x , it has 4 GB of vram.

Unlike some cards that have 3.5 + 0.5 donkey speed ram.

I second this, since the manufacturer isn't lying to you.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

I second this, since the manufacturer isn't lying to you.

I would change your sig to SLI MSI GeForce GTX 970 3.5GB LOL

LOL.

Done.

At leased your being a good sport and not fanboying it up like some 970 owners LOL. Sorry that nvidia fucked you over mate :-(

3.5 GB is more cinematic anyways.

For that movie like feel LOL.

R9 290x since it has 4GB VRAM. I regret picking a GTX 970 over it because of the better game bundle Nvidia had at the time (that was the tiebreaker for me since the two cards were so close back when we thought the GTX 970 was a 4GB card with 64ROPs instead of a 3.5GB card with 56ROPs).

I think the best bang for your buck is the R9 290. I would recommend either that or the 970, but the 290 retails for as low as $250 and the performance is really similar to the 970. It will run your games just fine. The only problem with it is that it is a bit power hungry, but that is a sacrifice I am willing to pay if the card is $100 less than the 970.

GTX 970 is a crippled POS so go for an AMD card this time or a 980.

I believe the MSI would be the quietest.

I wouldn't buy any 970 though until they stop selling them with 3.5GB VRAM while advertising them as 4GB VRAM.

It doesn't really matter right now, its still a great card. I bought mine a few weeks ago and it runs great, no problems at all. I know that it douchey that they "lied" or whatever but no one knew that before and everyone thought it was an awesome card. If you really are pissed about it I'm no going to tell you what to do, but its still great. Sorry if I sound like an Nvidia fanboy or something but thats just my opinion.

It doesn't really matter right now, its still a great card. I bought mine a few weeks ago and it runs great, no problems at all. I know that it douchey that they "lied" or whatever but no one knew that before and everyone thought it was an awesome card. If you really are pissed about it I'm no going to tell you what to do, but its still great. Sorry if I sound like an Nvidia fanboy or something but thats just my opinion.

I'll say the same thing I just told someone else.

People not being upset about shit like this is the reason companies do this to the consumer. It tells Nvidia "oh, these idiots aren't mad that we lied to them? Okay, cool, we'll do it again in a few years." It goes to show how completely idiotic and careless today's consumer is.

I bought mine about a month ago and they both run well, but we'll see how well they run when I have higher resolutions hooked up to them.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

For 1080p, your best bets are either the gtx 970 or the r9 290.

The 970 is stronger, but costs more. The 290 is much cheaper, but also runs hot, and eats up your power bill. Depending on usage and location, the lower power consumption of a 970 might even pay itself over time. So grab pen and paper, and find out how much each card will actually cost for you, and see which one is worth your money.

Regarding 970 noise, the MSI Gaming 4G is the quietest of the main brands, followed by the Strix. However, it also runs cooler, has better performance and OCs higher, while costing just as much (if not less)... so run away from the Strix.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!