Cyanogen Wants to Wrestle Android Away From Google

x86 has quite a ways to go before it will take over the smartphone industry. Apple is even ditching x86 on quite a few of their products in favor of ARM (MacBooks). Google's soon to be launched "Rush" Chromebook is to leverage the Tegra 132. ARM is making a big comeback in the hands of licensed manufactures.

May be so, but the new atom cpus destroy basically all arm chips ever put in a phone cpuwise. And quite honestly, the sheer amount of availalbe software that is compatible with x86 makes arm a though sell on anything but phones, tablets and ultracheap laptops. And frankly, what apple does to increase their already ridiculous margins is not something that concerns me... how they think anyone in their right mind would spend more than 1000$ on an arm laptop when with 600 you can get one with a core i7 is beyond me.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please聽馃え

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

May be so, but the new atom cpus destroy basically all arm chips ever put in a phone cpuwise. And quite honestly, the sheer amount of availalbe software that is compatible with x86 makes arm a though sell on anything but phones, tablets and ultracheap laptops. And frankly, what apple does to increase their already ridiculous margins is not something that concerns me... how they think anyone in their right mind would spend more than 1000$ on an arm laptop when with 600 you can get one with a core i7 is beyond me.

So you claim that the new Atom's will bring over a 100% IPC increase over Silvermont?

I think this is a noble cause, but Cyanogenmod are not the guys to do it and my guess is that they will fail.

Google keeps making Android more and more closed source (remember when even the Google Apps were open source?) and imposing more and more restrictions. That's bad for everyone expect Google.

It makes me sad to see people go "well it is their product that they have invested lots of money in" as an excuse. Sure they have the right to do what they are doing, but that doesn't mean we should just silently accept what they are doing.

I thought it was really nice to see a mainstream OS that was open source. These days Android is more like an open source OS buried under a thick layer of proprietary bullshit.

Dear Cyanogen,

Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Yours sincerely,

Google

I think this is a noble cause, but Cyanogenmod are not the guys to do it and my guess is that they will fail.

Google keeps making Android more and more closed source (remember when even the Google Apps were open source?) and imposing more and more restrictions. That's bad for everyone expect Google.

It makes me sad to see people go "well it is their product that they have invested lots of money in" as an excuse. Sure they have the right to do what they are doing, but that doesn't mean we should just silently accept what they are doing.

I thought it was really nice to see a mainstream OS that was open source. These days Android is more like an open source OS buried under a thick layer of proprietary bullshit.

I remember the earlier years of Android and how they boasted that it was an open platform for everyone to enjoy. Since then it has started to shut its doors but, in my opinion, for the better. I think a little bit of regulation and restriction can be beneficial.

"Taking Android away from Google" is a bit over the top. It seems to me that they are simply trying to branch off of Android that doesn't rely on Google services. Which doesn't seem too bad and totally understandable, look at Amazon and their Fire series. I liked that we are getting more competition in the mobile OS space.

"Taking Android away from Google" is a bit over the top. It seems to me that they are simply trying to branch off of Android that doesn't rely on Google services. Which doesn't seem too bad and totally understandable, look at Amazon and their Fire series. I liked that we are getting more competition in the mobile OS space.

I personally don't mind the google services as they seem more useful than average bloat wear.

I heard fire os was bad, but I've never used it.

Google starts great things but its like they drag them trought the mud.

Google Search - great at searching but why cant you customize google search?i cant make it dark theme or different layouts always the same white blue eye burning pages.

Youtube - started strong > lost its way,keeps redisigning the non intuitive interface with bad layouts and many other issues,4k stream broken.

G+ 聽needs no show off here.

Android - barely decent (kitkat) phone OS with some quirks, bad performance and ram hungry.

GoogleFiber- i hope for you guys in US this doesnt fail,hard.