Cyanogen Wants to Wrestle Android Away From Google

Cyanogen, the company behind the popular open source operating system and the OS of choice for last year's OnePlus One, wants to be even more independent from the Google-based software that lies at its foundation. According to Cyanogen's CEO, Kirt McMaster "We're attempting to take Android away from Google."

Bold move, Kirt. Bold move.

McMaster made this brave declaration during The Information's "Next Phase of Android" event in San Francisco. Essentially, McMaster wants to live in a world where Android is a completely open platform, all the way down to its core, so that more developers can create highly integrated services and platforms on the OS. As Android Authority points out, Google Now would be one such example of an application that no third-party developer could even dream of creating on the Android platform.

McMaster and Cyanogen wants to solve that, by building a Android-based platform that anyone can develop on no matter however deeply they want go. Of course, this means losing Google services, like Gmail and Google Maps, which often prove tough to replicate, but Cyanogen also took the opportunity to announce plans to build its own app store within the next 18 months.

The idea behind Cyanogen's revolt against its software overlord is a well-documented one. Back in August, McMaster spoke about "Google's tyranny" with Android in a comment to Re/Code, after putting out fires concerning OnePlus' misfired "Ladies First" promotion. But the unfortunate mishandling of hardware partnerships didn't stop there. Cyanogen made an exclusive deal with Indian smartphone maker Micromax, which in turn outlawed the OnePlus One in the country for a short time in December. OnePlus is now building its own custom ROMto avoid future issues.

So yeah, talks of complete openness with no restrictions seem a little skeptical considering the company's sluggish batting average, but the idea is intriguing one. In the short run, Cyanogen will continue to dance to Google's tune, but as McMaster says "Today, Cyanogen has some dependence on Google. Tomorrow, it will not. We will not be based on some derivative of Google in three to five years." [The Information via Android Authority]

Source: http://gizmodo.com/cyanogen-wants-to-wrestle-android-away-from-google-1681642100

I'm not sure what to say about this. As a oneplus one owner, my feelings toward cyanogen aren't as positive as they were before the whole india/micromax thing. Cyanogen can make a hell of a rom, but I can't agree with how they operate internally. Also the loss of google services is a HUGE hit in my opinion. I have integrated my life into many google services and loosing them might not be the greatest thing. However, I do support an open-source environment as it brings a lot of interesting things to the table. If cyanogen really wants to play rough with google, they better come correct.

Lost respect for Cyanogen

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Not again. First it was Samsung with this crap and now it's Cyanogen. Also they have quite a limited audience. If they think their own app store will be any more successful then the Windows Phone app store then they should rethink their stradegy. TouchWiz is much more widely known and used then Cyanogen's ROMs, and Samsung has already willingly let go of their whole "take over Android" BS.

"Rawr XD"

I doubt this will happen I mean maybe it will end up like linux. A new open-source OS that some devices come with & can be installed on android phones.

(Yes android is basically linux but... never mind.)

blackshades on

Lost respect for Cyanogen

Simply because they want to go independent? The thread was literally posted a minute ago did you read it?

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I would cry if Cyanogen got there hands on Android

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Fine. Let them have it their own way. I want them to attempt to make their own os and then watch as it crashes and burns.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

Cyanogen is one to talk about anything. 

They are a ROM maker. That is it. They are skid marks on the road created by the wake of Android itself. They're really nothing. 

What, Cyanogen thinks Google maintains Android out of some desire for a "open" OS? No. Not really. Google maintains Android to mine and sell data for their profit. They run Google Services because they own that data. They made Google Now a thing because they have the capacity to analyze all that data and spit back useful things back to the consumer.

What, Cyanogen thinks they can use all that data and spit it back to consumers in a way that makes sense to consumers? In a way that is useful? The only reason Google can leverage something like Google Now is because they have the server space and the know-how to take all that raw data and do something with it. No other developer could do that because 1. No resources and 2. Not enough data. What does Cyanogen have? A couple servers and two sticks to make a fire? 

Well, good luck. Google can yank the rug from your feet without giving a shit. Its their OS. Have fun making a forked version with no Google services (which people care a lot more about than some custom ROM) and have fun trying to run Android without the protection of Google and their patents. Guess what keeps MOST lawsuits against Android at bay? Googles massive patent library and their desire to use it, thats why Google can flex their muscle in maintaining Android even in the sea of BS patent trolling. 

What does Cyanogen have? Whats their end tally? Jack all. They are nothing. They don't have the resources, intellect or couple decades of data management skills behind their back to help manage anything. 

Oh Cyanogen, stop trying to act like you could be Androids caretaker. 

People still use Cyanogenmod willingly?

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Emmmm I quite like stock Android (and so far I'm getting used to and quite liking Lollipop) and Google seems to be starting a standard (though I'm not sure if Google plans on actually starting it or not) in which makers of Android devices must follow (at least in a software design, of course not as like the Apple attitude that "customization should be limited creating a conformist layout" which can get a little boring and that's part of the reason I've sort of turned away from Apple is that on it's software end it's locked down to how they lay it and even though it's not a bad design it does constrict what you can do with it which is a nice and a bad thing. I mean I love the UI of OS X Yosemite and I want to run OS X on my future build.)

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Good luck lol. Not going to happen. Cyanogen is kind of shitty anyway.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I'm all ears if Android is forked via Cyanogen... as long as it's not Tizen (the Samsung OS)...

Android, the OS, is completely Open Source. He's basically crying that Google's apps, gmail, google now and that sort of thing, aren't also open source. 

As for Google Now being something that "no third party developer could ever dream of developing" that's because they don't have all of google backing it. You could make something like Google Now, and many companies have, but it will never be as good as google now because it doesn't have the huge wealth of data to draw from that google has. 

Basically, he's mad because the services that Google have invested billions into developing and integrating aren't open source.

Ya'think?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Source: http://gizmodo.com/cyanogen-wants-to-wrestle-android-away-from-google-1681642100

I'm not sure what to say about this. As a oneplus one owner, my feelings toward cyanogen aren't as positive as they were before the whole india/micromax thing. Cyanogen can make a hell of a rom, but I can't agree with how they operate internally. Also the loss of google services is a HUGE hit in my opinion. I have integrated my life into many google services and loosing them might not be the greatest thing. However, I do support an open-source environment as it brings a lot of interesting things to the table. If cyanogen really wants to play rough with google, they better come correct.

Could you remind me what Cyanogenmod did that got them into PR trouble? I vaguely remember the got into some hot water but I have since forgotten about what.

snip

Very well said. You should write novels or something. 

Android IS open down to its core

people mistake google play apps for android apps

google play apps arnt "open"

if u want open use AOSP apps instead

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

What are they taking away from google? What does "Wrestle Android Away From Google" even mean?

Or maybe they should make their own OS with blackjack and hookers.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Guys, it's already happening... CyanogenMod doesn't include Google Apps, it's a separate download. And a CM device is usable without them. All what's missing is a place to get apps.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Its just a sensational title.

Android belongs to Google.

Its not something you can steal.

yeah that's what I mean. I like CM I still use it on my m8 even though I can't upgrade to CM12 because of my stupid hboot, but quote is just stupid.

McMaster and Cyanogen wants to solve that, by building a Android-based platform that anyone can develop on no matter however deeply they want go.

How stupid is the guy making these statements. You want to take Android from Google meanwhile you want to build your own flavor directly forked from Google? I hate to bust this guys bubble but his own variant of Android will still be classified as Android. Good luck trying to get your variant out the door to major phone manufactures that Google already has under their belt. A pipe dream that will end badly for them. I know of single guys who's better at making custom ROM's than the CyanogenMod team.

What are they taking away from google? What does "Wrestle Android Away From Google" even mean?

They are angry that Google Apps are locked down and closed source. As they should be, since Google Apps are proprietary and have billions of dollars invested in their back ends.

That's why AOSP doesn't get Google services. Google doesn't share their own toys unless you make an agreement. Cyanogen are butthurt that Google has the gall to actually maintain ownership over their own IP.

With x86 cpus becoming more and more popular in smartphones, couldn't someone just make a fully touch optimized interface for the desktop version of ubuntu and call it a day? In fact I wouldn't mind using unity on a phone.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

With x86 cpus becoming more and more popular in smartphones, couldn't someone just make a fully touch optimized interface for the desktop version of ubuntu and call it a day? In fact I wouldn't mind using unity on a phone.

x86 has quite a ways to go before it will take over the smartphone industry. Apple is even ditching x86 on quite a few of their products in favor of ARM (MacBooks). Google's soon to be launched "Rush" Chromebook is to leverage the Tegra 132. ARM is making a big comeback in the hands of licensed manufactures.