AMD now has a green team

spartaman64

tdp isnt power consumption i think 900 still consumes more power but less is converted to heat

Right, I always mix those up.  We won't know until the 300 series is really released and put to the test, but initial indicators point to more power consumption and running hot.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Power consumption as a standalone figure is meaningless. If it's 300W and has the power of ten million GTX 980s, that's amazingly green and energy-efficient.

At a rough, half-drunken estimate, 379,000x more efficient (given a 4096 SP count in terms of perf/sp/watt).

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

This is exactly what I expect from AMD

Make childish jokes like "Green team talks trash".

Real mature

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

With collaboration AMD is able to turn trash into usable products. Green team composts paper products into garden soil.

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

LOL AMD AND GREEN LOLOLOLOLOL

now that its out of the way, I really hope they do make their stuff more efficient. but there's always something fun about just throwing power at the problem. (7950 and 7970 running at 1175mhz each over here in the same rig)

7950 and 7970 are not that much hotter than gtx770.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

More like "damage control goes green".

But really, AMD should instead concentrate on what they are supposed to do, as a semiconductor vendor and put some badly needed competitive pressure. How about that?

<_<

This is exactly what I expect from AMD

Make childish jokes like "Green team talks trash".

Real mature

lol i sort of like it when companies break from the rigidness and poke a little fun

Looks like their new gpus will come with an included wind turbine or a solar panel, because green

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

P.S. The 300 series is already rumored to be 300W.

so what you get a heater and a jet engine for the same price

Edited by s3ns3

@ The people with the 300w remarks.

I don't think it'll be a 300w TDP and even if it is it sure as hell will be more than 40% more performance. There would be a lot of problems with having a 300W TDP card.. More problems than it's worth for sure and I'm sure AMD knows that.

As someone who lives in NW, who cares about heat and electricity, BRING IT ON :D

This is a Fully Desktop Architecture compared to a Mobile Focused chip. I doubt Gm200 will be some low wattage glory. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Maybe AMD should spend less time being immature and more time making competitive products, eh?