What Processor Should I Buy?

Hi,

I'm looking to do my first pc build which I want for gaming.  I'm getting the AMD Radeon r9 290 (not the 290x) so I picked out the Intel i5-4690k to go along with it.  I am thinking of buying this processor so I can overlock a little (which I have never done before) and so it can keep up with my graphics card.  I was considering getting the newest Pentium so I could get into overlocking with a cheaper processor but I was afraid it would bottleneck the gpu.  I've heard the i5s are a good match for the gpu I have and I would prefer a quad core processor over a dual core one.  If anyone has any feedback to this match it would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

i5 is enough for gaming. if you plan on editing/3D or video rendering, etc I suggest you to go with the i7

Get the i5... As long as you're not EXTREMELY Stoopid, you'll be fine with Overclocking it!

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

the 4690k is a great choice

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Hi,

I'm looking to do my first pc build which I want for gaming.  I'm getting the AMD Radeon r9 290 (not the 290x) so I picked out the Intel i5-4690k to go along with it.  I am thinking of buying this processor so I can overlock a little (which I have never done before) and so it can keep up with my graphics card.  I was considering getting the newest Pentium so I could get into overlocking with a cheaper processor but I was afraid it would bottleneck the gpu.  I've heard the i5s are a good match for the gpu I have and I would prefer a quad core processor over a dual core one.  If anyone has any feedback to this match it would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

If you can afford it, get the i5. It'll kick the Pentium's butt all day long. Any of the i5's are good for gaming and remember: the K-series i5 will require a Z97/Z87 board to overclock.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

i5 is enough for gaming. if you plan on editing/3D or video rendering, etc I suggest you to go with the i7

I plan on staying away from  video editing and just doing gaming and other school work.

Thank you to everyone for all the feedback.

You can't really go wrong, just follow a guide and you'll be fine. That is, unless you do what some guy did before on this forum and put his voltage to 1.85. And the i5 will keep up with the 290 without an oc btw. 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

I plan on staying away from  video editing and just doing gaming and other school work.

Thank you to everyone for all the feedback.

i5 is the way to go for you. good luck!

If you're on a budget you can always consider the AMD side for a CPU as well. the 8320 is usually an excellent choice as far as performance for price goes.