Node - 3D Printed Case

UPDATE 2B - Parts, Build and Posting

Hi Everyone,

So I know its been awhile since this last had an update, this was mainly due to putting the final touches on the model for printing, getting the logistics in place to get all of the final pieces....as well as some interesting opportunities you will get to see in the coming days.  

Anyway, onto the important stuff!

SPECS:
i7 4790k
Asus Z97I - mITX
EVGA GTX 970 SC
Corsair  Dominator Platinum  2133 Mhz
120GB Samsung 850 EVO
250GB Samsung 850 EVO
SilverStone SX600-G

Stay tuned in the coming weeks, things will be updating a lot more frequently.

Take this as a compliment, but every time I do something and i started making some videos and stuff I see this it just makes me go sit in the corner, Far out.

Don't get discouraged!  Only way is up from here!  Need tips on anything?

Update!  Now with Sponsors!

FSLaser_logo_blue.jpg

I want to thank Full Spectrum Laser for offering their 3D printing and Laser cutting services to me, without them this entire project would have come to a complete stop.  Thanks again guys!  Be sure to check out their site:

http://fslaser.com/

About Full Spectrum Laser:

Founded in 2010 in a Las Vegas garage, Full Spectrum Laser (fslaser.com) and wholly-owned 3D printing subsidiary
FSL3D (fsl3d.com), designs, manufactures, and sells a full range of consumer and industrial grade laser products and
3D Printers. As a highly-integrated company, FSL produces all electronics, software, mechanical hardware, and
chemistry in-house for the tightest integration of engineering disciplines. FSL creates superior price /
performance products through an emphasis on innovation and engineering excellence. The Company’s
product assembly, sales, customer support, logistics, and administrative groups are also in Las Vegas.

Don't get discouraged!  Only way is up from here!  Need tips on anything?

Did you use After effects to make the last part? 

So I have good news and bad news...The bad news is that my model is too big for the printers I planned on using.  The good news is I know how to fix it...but I need to start from scratch.  So I'll be streaming is here if you feel like stopping by:

www.twitch.tv/complxdesign

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry there have been so few updates with this project,  I have run into some major issues along the road.  But here is they latests on the project.  Currently the parts are being printed, as of writing this, there is one part left to print.  I will be picking them up tomorrow, but so far everything looks OK. 

I have all the liquid cooling hardware ordered and its all sitting next to me waiting for the last few pieces to arrive.   I hope to have the laser cut panel in this week as well as all the mounting hardware.  From here I will be shipping the case down to Texas for to have the sleeving work done.  Once that is finished and I have the case back in my hands, I will be doing the water cooling and the last few pieces. 

I will update as much as I can, however, due to the time constraints, they might be a bit delayed as I need to focus on getting this done before the end of April. 

In the mean time, here are some photo of the printed parts.

DMH2LVk.jpg

tMgeZMG.jpg

jNy8gBC.jpg

Egqic9M.jpg

xi2XmpM.jpg

I was able to pick up the parts yesterday, without doing anything to them or having any mounting hardware. Here is a quick picture of it partially assembled.  Enjoy!  Better pictures will be available soon.

cJQtYlH.jpg

It's looking really good! I think it will be one of the best looking cases humanity has ever seen.

this is awesome dude! 
really great video.
10/10 would totally download haha :lol: 

i find it kinda funny that this COULD be the future, imagine corsair releasing a case for that you can buy and download and then print yourself haha. then people would pirate it n shith. 
but if you put up a download file and a manual i would download it cause it looks awesome and it would be awesome for a LAN machine. what is the weight of this bad boy? and oh yeah subbed ofc. 

i find it kinda funny that this COULD be the future, imagine corsair releasing a case for that you can buy and download and then print yourself haha. then people would pirate it n shith. 

but if you put up a download file and a manual i would download it cause it looks awesome and it would be awesome for a LAN machine. what is the weight of this bad boy? and oh yeah subbed ofc. 

I have thought about putting it up for download....however, I would have to charge for it.  I have put to much time and effort to just 'give' it away sadly.  I have had a lot of inquires about the design, so I'm playing things close to the chest right now.   If i find a way to sell it for an affordable price, I'll be sure to let people know.

this is looking very nice my friend, its not easy to design and build a case from scratch. good job and nice ideas / design.

got to love Asus components

I have thought about putting it up for download....however, I would have to charge for it.  I have put to much time and effort to just 'give' it away sadly.  I have had a lot of inquires about the design, so I'm playing things close to the chest right now.   If i find a way to sell it for an affordable price, I'll be sure to let people know.

i understand. :) i actually expected you to take some money for it :lol:

Oh yeah! Gonna be great. Beautiful

CPU: i5 2500k@4.2 MBO: Asrock P67 Extreme4 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 560Ti 1GB RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600 SSD: Samsung 840 Basic 250 HDD: Samsung F3 1TB + WD 2TB Green + WD MyBook 1TB external; ODD: LG BD/DVDRW; PSU: Corsair TX 650
Case: Fractal Define R3 Black Pearl; Mouse/Keyboard Logitech Performance MX + Wireless K800; Monitor: Dell U2311H 

Nice animations!

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

So I know its been awhile since I had an update to this project.  I have run into a few more issues since the last update so lets dive in!

My biggest problem at the moment is currently trying to find a place to get the case printed at a reasonable price. The quotes I'm getting are ranging from $2000-$4000 just for the printed parts, I knew it was going to be expensive, but not THAT expensive. The first set I had printed where OK, but far from perfect. They were done on a Makerbot Replicator 5, and the quality of the parts left a lot to be desired, but it also had a few other issues with the prints warping and shrinking.  I did discover that a few of the parts needed to be remodeled so that they would work properly so I had to make some edits to them.  Since it was a 1st prototype, I knew there were going to be issues, so hopefully the next set will be perfect or close to it. The biggest problem, like I said, was that the model shrunk way more than anticipated, so a good portion of the acrylic paneling didn't fit correctly or had to be wrestled into place.

Right now I'm trying to find a company or someone to print these parts for a reasonable price. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a printer that can both handle the large parts and are willing to print them at a reasonable price.  So right now the project is in a minor state of limbo, I have everything else ready to go for the build, but I'm missing the case itself.  

I have invested a fair bit of time and money into this project to just give up, so this project WILL be getting completed.  Just not as soon as I had hoped.

y9kf17x.jpg

pUp9X8K.jpg

KEpLSRc.jpg

gyz4o37.jpg

SOTgDbK.jpg

OdaY40f.jpg

aeDatn3.jpg

Hmm, those quotes do seem rather excessive, even for a fairly large object. What's the smallest bounding box that you can fit them all into (minimising the height as much as possible)? Ignore physics when doing that btw, so parts can be floating over each other etc.

Finished Projects: Loramentum, VesperModerne, ExsectusAetos

Current Project: Parvum Argentum

Hmm, those quotes do seem rather excessive, even for a fairly large object. What's the smallest bounding box that you can fit them all into (minimising the height as much as possible)? Ignore physics when doing that btw, so parts can be floating over each other etc.

I'd have to wait to get home and move things around in 3D to get you a more exact dimensional space, but a rough estimate would probably be around L 12" x W 12" x H 10".  That would be with the parts very close together.  I can get a more exact measurement tonight.  Do you know of someone who might be able to help out? 

EDIT: BTW, I've seen your 3D printed NUC cases, I love seeing those things!