Should I get the xps 13 2015?

Kyuubixchidori

hey everyone! so off to college. Right now I have a budget of 1300ish. 

right now, I have a adequte PC priced out at 500. that leaves me a 800 for a laptop. I been looking at the xps 13 2015 edition because of its amazing size to screen ratio, and how thin and light it is, with still having a I5. 

Im looking at this 1000$ model http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-13-9343-laptop/pd?oc=dncwt5130s

I love that, but then id have to get a xbox instead of a pc. so anyone have some sub 800$ laptop recommendations? I want atleast a I5, 8 gigs of ram, but other then that specs dont matter. Dont need a graphics card, as I will have a PC for gaming. I just want build quality, and to have a nice experience over a powerhouse.

thanks!

Sure why not go for it, I mean if it fits what you need go for it but if you're looking for something lighter maybe a Surface Pro 3 or something like that. Only problem with the Surface option is that the cheapest i5 model is more than what you can/are willing to spend.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Sure why not go for it, I mean if it fits what you need go for it but if you're looking for something lighter maybe a Surface Pro 3 or something like that. Only problem with the Surface option is that the cheapest i5 model is more than what you can/are willing to spend.

exactly. its 800$ for a I3.

Id be going with a xbox then. Or i can just go all out and get the I7 with a 1800P screen. seems overkill on something thats 13 inches though

Or i can just go all out and get the I7 with a 1800P screen. seems overkill on something thats 13 inches though

I'd do that.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

give up on gaming 100% in that case then

Why, it'll perform just as good as any $500 desktop can.

And also, you're going to college. How much time will you realistically have for gaming?

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

Why, it'll perform just as good as any $500 desktop can.

And also, you're going to college. How much time will you realistically have for gaming?

um. I dont think integrated graphics can run far cry at 1080P60fp on ultra settings

because this 500$ pc can http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rgtbrH

People have enough time to party and get drunk and party some more. Im sure ill have some free time. honestly Im not 100% sure how much time ill have. but a hour a day aint bad, and if I dont have a hour of free time, Ill probably lose it. You cant expect someone to only work and sleep, and thats it. thats unrealistic. 

um. I dont think integrated graphics can run far cry at 1080P60fp on ultra settings

because this 500$ pc can http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rgtbrH

Are you sure? I honestly have no idea, since I'm not a gamer, but Far Cry looks graphically intensive and that PC doesn't look up to the task.

People have enough time to party and get drunk and party some more. Im sure ill have some free time. honestly Im not 100% sure how much time ill have. but a hour a day aint bad, and if I dont have a hour of free time, Ill probably lose it. You cant expect someone to only work and sleep, and thats it. thats unrealistic.

Those are the people who shouldn't be in college.

Are you sure? I honestly have no idea, since I'm not a gamer, but Far Cry looks graphically intensive and that PC doesn't look up to the task.

Those are the people who shouldn't be in college.

100%. my brother burrowed my extra 7950 for his 8 gig stock clocked fx6300 system and it ran beautifully. 

here let me put it this way, theres people that can balance a part time job and college full time. Im not that heavy of a gamer. I have dual 7950s and I havent gamed in over a week. its just nice that if i want to just calm down or relax, I can kick back and game if I want to and it looks damn beautiful. 

Hi,

Yes.. Its a pretty good laptop and performance wise also too good. Worth of buying...

Im looking at this 1000$ model http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-13-9343-laptop/pd?oc=dncwt5130s

I love that, but then id have to get a xbox instead of a pc. so anyone have some sub 800$ laptop recommendations? I want atleast a I5, 8 gigs of ram, but other then that specs dont matter. Dont need a graphics card, as I will have a PC for gaming. I just want build quality, and to have a nice experience over a powerhouse.

You could possibly wait later on for more Broadwell-based laptops to start rolling out. There will definitely be some with similar if not same specs to the 2015 XPS 13 but will be cheaper. However keep in mind these cheaper models likely won't look anywhere near as nice.

"Rawr XD"

You could possibly wait later on for more Broadwell-based laptops to start rolling out. There will definitely be some with similar if not same specs to the 2015 XPS 13 but will be cheaper. However keep in mind these cheaper models likely won't look anywhere near as nice.

right now, quailty and weight matter the most. As long as its 8 gigs of ram/I5, I want a light well built laptop. any idea/estimate how long until those come out? or start to?

right now, quailty and weight matter the most. As long as its 8 gigs of ram/I5, I want a light well built laptop. any idea/estimate how long until those come out? or start to?

Laptops are very light now so with an ultrabook weight isn't really an issue between different models but quality is definitely a differentiating factor. If you want a really well-built laptop consider a prosumer-grade option, such as my laptop which is part of HP's Elitebook series. In a business-class laptop aesthetics are traded for build quality, and although mine does not look anywhere near as nice as some of the other Haswell ULV laptops out there, it is definitely built much better, and is also very upgradable. If build quality and ease of upgrading is more important to you then aesthetics, definitely hold out until Broadwell-powered prosumer notebooks like Elitebooks or other competing lines from other manufacturers are released.

You wouldn't be able to get anywhere remotely close to this easy of cleaning and upgrading with a traditional "ultra-thin" ultrabook.

hpelitebook840g13.jpg

"Rawr XD"

Laptops are very light now so with an ultrabook weight isn't really an issue between different models but quality is definitely a differentiating factor. If you want a really well-built laptop consider a prosumer-grade option, such as my laptop which is part of HP's Elitebook series. In a business-class laptop aesthetics are traded for build quality, and although mine does not look anywhere near as nice as some of the other Haswell ULV laptops out there, it is definitely built much better, and is also very upgradable. If build quality and ease of upgrading is more important to you then aesthetics, definitely hold out until Broadwell-powered prosumer notebooks like Elitebooks or other competing lines from other manufacturers are released.

You wouldn't be able to get anywhere remotely close to this easy of cleaning and upgrading with a traditional "ultra-thin" ultrabook.

Not only is build quality better, you also get much better support from the manufacturer and also better product support. I'm surprised that Dell is still supplying bios updates to my laptop (Dell Latitude E7440) even almost 2 years after release. If you buy a refurb from the likes of Dell Outlet, you'll get a great deal on a pretty good laptop with good specs. Mine even came with 3 years of on-site service free.

Another benefit of getting a business laptop is that it's not screaming for attention as some other laptops so your laptop is less likely to be stolen :D

-snip-

-snip-

thanks guys. so basically go for broadwell prosumer products. I appericate it, because for a college student working at mcdonalds whos giving up his pride and joy, a 1000-1500 purchase is a HUGE deal.

thanks guys. so basically go for broadwell prosumer products. I appericate it, because for a college student working at mcdonalds whos giving up his pride and joy, a 1000-1500 purchase is a HUGE deal.

No problem. The HP EliteBook 840 G2, an updated version of my laptop with Broadwell chips and better display panels, is coming soon, and Lenovo will also be updating their prosumer Thinkpad line of laptops with Broadwell chips as well, so if you wait probably around a month, you'll have a LOT more options available.

"Rawr XD"

Same as last year's model with an updated CPU. Still 6lbs though.

lol, I posted it without even clicking on the link to look at the full specs. Just looking at it now, I did not expect to see a discrete graphics in that at all. If it wasn't so thick and heavy, this would have been a great deal lol.

Just saw this https://twitter.com/slickdeals/status/560934077948125184i7 5500U, 8 gb ram, 512gb ssd, 1080p for $899

Same as last year's model with an updated CPU. Still 6lbs though.

was actually considering that laptop. what killed me was what, the 3-5 hour battery life? and the 6lb. right now I have a 5 pound laptop, and If I have to carry it around every single day, all day, that 2.6lb laptop sounds really freaking nice. Honestly I want 8+ hours of battery life, and a laptop that will last me the 4 years of college, then be as light as possible. Dont need discrete graphics, Dont need A I7 really. Nicer integrated graphics, or some discret card might be nice for super light games, but not a big deal. 

I mean, I was also considering the yoga 3. if Im getting up to the 1500$ price point, it might be viable. My parents seem like they might help because this is actually for school

was actually considering that laptop. what killed me was what, the 3-5 hour battery life? and the 6lb. right now I have a 5 pound laptop, and If I have to carry it around every single day, all day, that 2.6lb laptop sounds really freaking nice. Honestly I want 8+ hours of battery life, and a laptop that will last me the 4 years of college, then be as light as possible. Dont need discrete graphics, Dont need A I7 really. Nicer integrated graphics, or some discret card might be nice for super light games, but not a big deal. 

I mean, I was also considering the yoga 3. if Im getting up to the 1500$ price point, it might be viable. My parents seem like they might help because this is actually for school

Y40 can easily get 8-9 hours of battery life doing light stuff as long as you turn off the dedicated graphics. However if you're going to turn off the dedicated graphics anyways then it'd be pretty pointless to buy a 6lb laptop in the first place.

Don't get the Yoga 3. It's only a Core M chip which is noticeably less performance then the full-fledged Core i5 chips.

"Rawr XD"

Y40 can easily get 8-9 hours of battery life doing light stuff as long as you turn off the dedicated graphics. However if you're going to turn off the dedicated graphics anyways then it'd be pretty pointless to buy a 6lb laptop in the first place.

Don't get the Yoga 3. It's only a Core M chip which is noticeably less performance then the full-fledged Core i5 chips.

yeah. thats what killed it for me. I dunno. I want a "tablet" or 2 in 1, but they are all top heavy, and cant really be used in a lap. I was looking at the yogas, because they just fold, which is great. or the xps 12, which is what linus has and just flips. I love that. but again, its 1300 for 4 gigs of soldered ram I believe. it sucks. Guess Need to just wait a tad longer for more broadwell. 

yeah. thats what killed it for me. I dunno. I want a "tablet" or 2 in 1, but they are all top heavy, and cant really be used in a lap. I was looking at the yogas, because they just fold, which is great. or the xps 12, which is what linus has and just flips. I love that. but again, its 1300 for 4 gigs of soldered ram I believe. it sucks. Guess Need to just wait a tad longer for more broadwell. 

Well with the Yogas it's really only great for laptop and tablet mode. Tent mode puts it at an awkward angle and the edges are slippery so it's hard to use it without it sliding, and the other mode where keyboard lies face down on the table and screen is propped up is horrible to use as every tap makes the whole screen bounce as the hinge isn't solid enough.

What would you use the tablet function for personally?

"Rawr XD"