New law in Taiwan makes parents limit their kid's computer time

GoodBytes

A new law in Taiwan was put into place which forces parents to limit their kid's computer time.

The law states "may not constantly use electronic products for a period of time that is not reasonable." This applies to kids under the age of 18, Neowin reports.

The regulation states that parents who let their children use an electronic device, or stare at a screen for an extended period of time that makes them "mentally or physically" ill, will be charged a fine that can reach as much as $1,600 (converted to U.S).

While no time on the law is given, take it as you will, but the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends to spend no more than two hours a day of "screen time" for children. As for teens, some of them, can spend at least 11 hours each day looking at electronic displays, based on a study conducted (more info: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/pediatricians-no-more-than-2-hour-screen-time-kids/).

Taiwan is not the only country trying to limit this time, China and South Korea are trying too. South Korean is even considering regulating video games like drugs and gambling.

Source1: http://www.neowin.net/news/parents-in-taiwan-are-now-legally-obliged-to-limit-their-kids-computer-time

Source2: http://qz.com/332675/parents-in-this-country-are-now-legally-obliged-to-stop-their-kids-spending-time-on-computers/

Source3: http://www.dailydot.com/esports/south-korea-video-games-drugs-law/

Source4: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/pediatricians-no-more-than-2-hour-screen-time-kids/

Do you think video games should be considered like a drug and/or gambling?

Do you think it is due that parent gives a tablet or phone to kids so that they shut up, and not actually take care of them, or discipline them?

Do you think that the the problem is actually far deeper than this, where it is a social issues, where some people use video games to escape and that causes serious mental issues, much like they are people stuck in reading books all day long, in trying to escape reality?

I don't know the society of these countries, nor experts, obviously, but I think game addiction is real in some, and that is due to a mixture of society, and parenting. To me it is a bit sad that regulations needs to be put in place instead of educations on parenting, and looking into social issues. I see no way the government can regulate this until a special case arrives, like lately, 6 days ago, a 32-year-old man died from cardiac failure at a gaming internet cafe, and no one noticed, until the morning by an employee. And the worst is that apparently (based on CNN) no one even payed attention while the paramedic arrived, and continued their gaming session. (http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/19/world/taiwan-gamer-death/index.html), maybe when such event occurs, the police can investigate on the person paste, but that is very difficult without any actual evidence.

The regulation states that parents who let their children use an electronic device, or stare at a screen for an extended period of time that makes them "mentally or physically" ill, will be charged a fine that can reach as much as $1,600 (converted to U.S).

So how do they determine this "extended period of time"?

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

Wow, I can't believe Taiwan's bullshit. This is utter rubbish. They better veto this law.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Taiwan is the new South Korea? (they had/have this too)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Kinda good that Children are learning that PCs could be addictive, I learned it the hard way ^^

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

how are they going to regulate this, 2 hours a day of computer time they recommend yet i bet that they spend 15 hrs a day on computers taking in that info

2 hours, one of my classes requires me to be on the computer for a hour, and then i often can spend at least a hour just typing a essay, oh and there all my time goes. i still have 2 hours of homework i need dont then i was going to watch tv for a hour. i still need about 3 hours more MINIMUM.

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

So how do they determine this "extended period of time"?

Well it is defined that if it results in mental or physical problems then it qualifies as this extended period of time.

Edit:

I think this is good thing to a certain extend. Kids shouldn't just be thrown a tablet or phone to keep them quiet, and kids that play too many computer games can get addicted quite easily. Although 2hrs a day seems a bit low, it might be good for kids under say 10, but 17y/o's probably need more

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

This isn't a bad thing. 

Too much time on anything can lead to addictive behaviours. Computers can be to me what cocaine is to an addict. Same principles. Its better to STOP that association from being drilled into kids heads while they are young. 

Then again, some people on this site think its healthy to spend a dozen of hours a day on a computer doing god knows what, because its a hobby. No, thats not a hobby. Thats a dangerous obsession. A hobby is 1-2 hours a day. Or 1-2 times a week like my drone flying. I don't spend 12 hours a day flying, I don't even spend 12 hours a day taking photos (even when it was my job!) 

But I abstain. People will still try and twist this as "OMG STAY OUT OF ME LIFE GUBERMENT"

Doctors left right and centre will tell you to limit how much time you spend in front of the TV or computer if it isn't required. Sure, some people actually need to and thats fine. I have protein structures to look at, and I prefer the computer versions over the boring and poorly made diagrams on textbooks by a wide margin. Stock traders kinda have to. Many jobs require you to. 

No job or hobby requires you to blow 12 hours a day on reddit, LTT or even on gaming. Thats what they want to cut out, the really harmful associations and addictive behaviours. Too much of anything can be substantially detrimental to ones health, even computer time. 

This isn't a bad thing. 

Too much time on anything can lead to addictive behaviours. Computers can be to me what cocaine is to an addict. Same principles. Its better to STOP that association from being drilled into kids heads while they are young. 

Then again, some people on this site think its healthy to spend a dozen of hours a day on a computer doing god knows what, because its a hobby. No, thats not a hobby. Thats a dangerous obsession. A hobby is 1-2 hours a day. Or 1-2 times a week like my drone flying. I don't spend 12 hours a day flying, I don't even spend 12 hours a day taking photos (even when it was my job!) 

But I abstain. People will still try and twist this as "OMG STAY OUT OF ME LIFE GUBERMENT"

Doctors left right and centre will tell you to limit how much time you spend in front of the TV or computer if it isn't required. Sure, some people actually need to and thats fine. I have protein structures to look at, and I prefer the computer versions over the boring and poorly made diagrams on textbooks by a wide margin. Stock traders kinda have to. Many jobs require you to. 

No job or hobby requires you to blow 12 hours a day on reddit, LTT or even on gaming. Thats what they want to cut out, the really harmful associations and addictive behaviours. Too much of anything can be substantially detrimental to ones health, even computer time. 

Especially computer time. At least being a couch potato you can get comfortable instead of being hunched over for several hours. It's terrible.

Do you think video games should be considered like a drug and/or gambling?

Video games can be addictive. But drug addictive? I don't think so. Although what drug do you wish to compare them to? 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I can see only one way this can backfire.

if parents find out there kid needs glasses at like age 7 or something then the government could try to say that the use of screens caused this.

Especially computer time. At least being a couch potato you can get comfortable instead of being hunched over for several hours. It's terrible.

Most places recommend that for every hour you spend in front of the screen, you should take 5 minutes and walk around. Not this "look away for 20 seconds" bullshit. Physically move away. Get some water, coffee, food; maybe chat with a family member or coworker. Then go back to it. 

Just sitting there is bad for you, mentally and physically. 

Video games can be addictive. But drug addictive? I don't think so. Although what drug do you wish to compare them to? 

They can be drug addictive. All pleasurable activities activate the same areas of the brain (the same areas that addictive drugs activate), the so called pleasure centres of the brain. Your brain will start making associative connections that go like this:

"Playing a game makes me feel good, when I feel good my brain starts releasing good chemicals that make me feel good/satisfy me, playing games makes me satisfied". Thats all it takes to develop an addiction because you always WANT that feeling and now your brain is wired to always go to that specific activity to feel good. At the very least, to not feel like crap. 

I know a fair amount on addiction and how it forms. Gaming, in its excess (like most things) can be as bad as any drug. 

Discipline is good,no more nerds/weebos/otakus sitting at gaming sessions/anime marathon's for 8+ hours in a row or more.But only when this discipline comes from parents proper education,not from the fucking government silly law's.

On the otherhand . . . . Computers can be used to gain knowledge for your self . . . learn a language (spoken, or computer), read (or rather watch) up) on some material you may want to get back into . . . . . . . . .

Pick up a book, how do you think we learned languages before? 

Pick up a newspaper, how do you think we got the news before? 

Don't act like computers are the only way to function anymore. 

Wow, I can't believe Taiwan's bullshit. This is utter rubbish. They better veto this law.

I guess you're under the age of 18?

Do you also live in Taiwan? Why do you care if you don't?

Not a terrible thing but I would rather Taiwan educate their children about spending too much time on the computer instead of making it a law. They might be able to avoid another walrus fiasco. 

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

I guess you're under the age of 18?

Do you also live in Taiwan? Why do you care if you don't?

Cause something like this might come to the US.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

They can be drug addictive. All pleasurable activities activate the same areas of the brain (the same areas that addictive drugs activate), the so called pleasure centres of the brain. Your brain will start making associative connections that go like this:

"Playing a game makes me feel good, when I feel good my brain starts releasing good chemicals that make me feel good/satisfy me, playing games makes me satisfied". Thats all it takes to develop an addiction because you always WANT that feeling and now your brain is wired to always go to that specific activity to feel good. At the very least, to not feel like crap. 

I know a fair amount on addiction and how it forms. Gaming, in its excess (like most things) can be as bad as any drug. 

Ah yeah the science bit. forgot about that. Now that i think about it it does make sense. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

whats the worst that would happen? Doritos and Mountain Dew lose sales?

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I hope it does, or something like it to encourage parents to actually parent their kids. There's too many people who have horrible sleep schedules, are overweight and addicted to telling other kids on the interwebs that they've been rekt, had sex with other people's mothers and so on. If that's allowed to fester, it's likely that person will had no idea how to live once the parents either kick them out or have no way to support their kid once they've grown up.

Neglecting kids as they're unsupervised on the internet these days should be considered a serious matter.

Ah yeah the science bit. forgot about that. Now that i think about it it does make sense. 

Trust me, before I took a more in-depth look at the causes of addiction I never really understood how serious it can be either. 

The actual processes of addiction play on the already existing natural responses, just cranked up to 11. The body can't defend against its own metabolic processes and it certainly can't stop this almost "hard wired" pleasure response that causes your brain to make those associations in the first place. 

Addiction is a downright dangerous thing because it physically alters the brain itself to the point where some people simply can't function anymore without that "fix". Its truly scary. 

We often scream "think of the children" in response to stupid decisions but this isn't one of them and ironically enough, this truly involves thinking for the sake of children. Kids don't know any better, they function far more simply than adults and their brains are for more malleable. I consider it a social responsibility that we stomp out these kinds of behaviours while you still can. Its easier to attack addiction in its infancy before it has made a lasting change than it is to try years down the line when the very chemical makeup of your brain has been altered due to the addictive behaviours. 

I don't know what to say. From one perspective this could be good but at the same time I don't know how I should feel about laws that are targeted at limiting people's freedom within their own home...