I heard that some time ago apple was better than pc

MatejAustria
Go to solution Solved by theodoro,

so what does it even mean that the memory usage is better?

Hmmm i find it a bit difficult to explain it to you... 

First of all, the computer won't use that much memory, but that's not an issue if you have more than 4GB/6GB or RAM. (this is not the only reason people say Linux has better memory usage, i'll  explain that later)

Also, the programs "communicate" with your OS a bit differently. Generally speaking, it's very complicated to explain because you need to understand what's happening with the OS. 

The benefits of the good memory usage is better performance and consistency. The Linux and the MacOS are "light" OS and they usually feel snappier than windows. (specially Linux). 

Because of that, the requirements of Linux are very low and low-end PCs can perform much better on Linux.

Going back to that "Better memory usage", If you use windows for a long time, you wanted to format your drive and re-install windows, at least once. This shows some flaws of the OS. I've personally never had a "blue screen"/error with OSX or Ubuntu, but i had some windows bugs many times. Of course i use windows a LOT more, but in the other hand i've never had any unexpected problems with Ubuntu (i had some weird bugs, but that was my mistake)

In general, MacOS and Linux are more futureproof than windows and probably that's what people mean by "better memory usage". You can use Ubuntu for years and you won't need to format your drive & re-install the OS, but with windows you can notice the performance decrease after some years.

In conclusion, are MacOS & Linux better OS? No... The have some Pros and Cons as every other OS. It's your choice to use whatever suits you best. 

The reason for it was some kind of better memory usage.

Does anyone know details?

It depends what you mean... 

OSX is better optimized than windows, but that's due to it being compatible with only a handful of components/software. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Apple is better in any way than PC thats a fact

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

The reason for it was some kind of better memory usage.

Well, if you mean OSX, then yeah it's still better optimized then Windows today

But the hardware hasn't been better for the money since the 80's

"Rawr XD"

Hardware:nope
Software:Depends on whom you ask

CPU:AMD FX-8320, RAM:Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600, GPU:MSI Radeon R9 280, Case:Cooler Master 690 III, PSU:Thermaltake Smart 650W

Storage:WD Purple 1TB, CPU Cooler:Hyper 212 EVO, Keyboard:SCI Granite, OS:win 8.1 64bit, Display:Samsung SyncMaster SA100, Mouse:CM Storm Spawn

Apple is better in any way than PC thats a fact

don't start a war, we don't need one here

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

don't start a war, we don't need one here

Obviously was a joke 

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

MacOS has better memory usage indeed. Ubuntu or some other Linux distro have even better memory usage. 
That doens't mean Linux or MacOS are better OS than windows.  I like MacOS and Linux, but windows is my favourite OS.
Can't pick a "winner" OS. This is just a preference. 

MacOS has better memory usage indeed. Ubuntu or some other Linux distro have even better memory usage. 

That doens't mean Linux or MacOS are better OS than windows.  I like MacOS and Linux, but windows is my favourite OS.

Can't pick a "winner" OS. This is just a preference. 

First of all, the computer won't use that much memory, but that's not an issue if you have more than 4GB/6GB or RAM. (this is not the only reason people say Linux has better memory usage, i'll  explain that later)

Also, the programs "communicate" with your OS a bit differently. Generally speaking, it's very complicated to explain because you need to understand what's happening with the OS. 

The benefits of the good memory usage is better performance and consistency. The Linux and the MacOS are "light" OS and they usually feel snappier than windows. (specially Linux). 

Because of that, the requirements of Linux are very low and low-end PCs can perform much better on Linux.

Going back to that "Better memory usage", If you use windows for a long time, you wanted to format your drive and re-install windows, at least once. This shows some flaws of the OS. I've personally never had a "blue screen"/error with OSX or Ubuntu, but i had some windows bugs many times. Of course i use windows a LOT more, but in the other hand i've never had any unexpected problems with Ubuntu (i had some weird bugs, but that was my mistake)

In general, MacOS and Linux are more futureproof than windows and probably that's what people mean by "better memory usage". You can use Ubuntu for years and you won't need to format your drive & re-install the OS, but with windows you can notice the performance decrease after some years.

In conclusion, are MacOS & Linux better OS? No... The have some Pros and Cons as every other OS. It's your choice to use whatever suits you best. 

Great answere, thx  :)

So does that mean that windows is programmed in a more complicated way than Linux?

If for example Games would be optimized on Linux as much as on Windows, would they run faster on Linux?

What are the advantages of Windows, if Linux is better (except DirectX because it is being replaced by Mantle)?

Great answere, thx  :)

So does that mean that windows is programmed in a more complicated way than Linux?

If for example Games would be optimized on Linux as much as on Windows, would they run faster on Linux?

What are the advantages of Windows, if Linux is better (except DirectX because it is being replaced by Mantle)?

Yes, i guess you could say windows are more complicated. 

However i don't know if a PC with Linux could perform better in games. I guess if you have a low end PC, it could perform better with linux, but in most cases i don't believe the OS matters that much. 

I would say the biggest advantage of windows is the fact that it's the "mainstream" os. That's a good thing because you get support for most software, unlike linux. :(

Yes, i guess you could say windows are more complicated. 

However i don't know if a PC with Linux could perform better in games. I guess if you have a low end PC, it could perform better with linux, but in most cases i don't believe the OS matters that much. 

I would say the biggest advantage of windows is the fact that it's the "mainstream" os. That's a good thing because you get support for most software, unlike linux. :(

so aside from compatibility advantages and easy interface, windows can't compete with Linux

so aside from compatibility advantages and easy interface, windows can't compete with Linux

Eh... All OS are getting better and better. Windows are getting faster and Linux is growing. I personally also like MacOS because it's a fast OS with great software compatibility. All of them are great OS IMO, but all of them have some cons. It's up to you to decide if these cons are important or not. :)