SWTOR - Playable finally?

Scratchy1215

So I logged back into swtor to see if id be into the game again and see if a lot of issues were fixed, i ended up buying 2months of sub, the expansion and 2400 cartel coins if that says anything..

But a few of my old guildies invited me back, showed me the strongholds, showed me the conquesting stuff, took me on some achiv ops, and then ended with some new huttball and warzones.

Only issue ive had so far is on the new planets youll find some laggy spots, where u just have ur ping jump randomly and its not just me, people on teamspeak that would be with me experience the same issue. Now its not horrible or game breaking but it can get annoying if ur walking somewhere and u glitch out.

Other then that i recommend anyone that wanted to try swtor or has and hated its guts, to give it another chance, its honestly a sweet game now, and im excited to see what comes next.

If anyone is interested just send me a message and ill give u a tour

Last time I checked the shop was completely P2W, not to informed on it recently but watched a few minutes of Towelie on his livestream and that still seemed to be the case. Game is dead honestly, there are still the dedicated fans and the few random newcomers every now and then but other than that I don't ever see them doing the game justice.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

I really like the game... hence, uh, the avatar. I generally play it as if it were single player. The stories are actually really good imo.

I kind of wish more of my irl friends played it. The times when you're violently reminded that it's an MMO, such as the flashpoints and Herioics aren't unenjoyable in themselves, but especially as you get on through the game it can be tedious to wait to encounter someone else who wants to do the same quest.

Nothing in the cash shop even helps in game one bit, i have 3k cartel coins just from past subs and dont plan on picking anything up unless its cool looking. If you dont sub, then u cant run warzones or operations without a pass which u can buy for around the credit cap. If you want ranked pvp u can play as a f2p, just have to have bought the expac and have a friend to que with you.

I personally have played the game a lot and think that the game is doing fine, if u dont have a group of friends or guildies that are active and want to play, you might see the game as not so fun... but in all honestly theres not one way the cash shop is p2w at all unless having gear that looks cool is winning... (which it is ;D)

So I logged back into swtor to see if id be into the game again and see if a lot of issues were fixed, i ended up buying 2months of sub, the expansion and 2400 cartel coins if that says anything..

But a few of my old guildies invited me back, showed me the strongholds, showed me the conquesting stuff, took me on some achiv ops, and then ended with some new huttball and warzones.

Only issue ive had so far is on the new planets youll find some laggy spots, where u just have ur ping jump randomly and its not just me, people on teamspeak that would be with me experience the same issue. Now its not horrible or game breaking but it can get annoying if ur walking somewhere and u glitch out.

Other then that i recommend anyone that wanted to try swtor or has and hated its guts, to give it another chance, its honestly a sweet game now, and im excited to see what comes next.

If anyone is interested just send me a message and ill give u a tour

Well to be fair you have a OC Haswell. First time you tried it, you were probably on a much worse CPU as far as single core. The client is not much better. The game engine is just bad. I think the game could do well if they could port it to DX 12 or something. The game itself I thought was really good at it's core, but they just didn't polish the endgame enough and the game engine was awful. With a year more of polish and a well optimized engine this game could have truly competed with WoW. Agent, Scoundrel, Knight leveling/story was a blast and I thought the agent story was better than many single player games I have played. I think it is well worth a sub fee to play some of the leveling though. Sticking to it as main mmo? Maybe not. If you just rate some of the better story lines as a single player game? I rate it higher than Dragon's Age Inquisition to be honest. 

I used to love the game and spent countless hours on it, but it slowly became P2W after they stopped the subscription system. I may pick it up next weekend just to try it out.

The game is still as sub based as WoW. You can play for "free" but you can't do anything endgame and there are limits on everything, like how much PvP/dungeons you can do in a week etc. People left the game not because of the free to play options added, but because many people game on laptops/AMD CPU's that struggled to get performance in PvP/Raids, and because the first impression of endgame was bad.

This was the day everyone really left. Illum. Was a fantastic idea. Problem? The game engine could not pull it off. Add to that population was imbalanced with no checks and balances to ensure Illum was fun for both factions. Also people who spent a ton of time gathering PvP gear, saw pvp gear basically given to people over night. 

I think SWTOR could rise from the dead, but it needs a engine update and for EA to invest in more than just aesthetic DLC (which you can buy with in game currency as a sub with ease and not have to pay a dime).

There were so many things SWTOR did right that just didn't matter due to the game engine. Holocrons were really fun imo. First MMO I have truly enjoyed leveling in. Huttball was awesome as far as PvP. The Annihilation Marauder, Watchman Sentinel was one of the funnest warrior classes I have ever played (before they made faceroll smash the go to spec).

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

-snip-

First time i played was on a laptop with a dual core amd that i bought 2 years before for 400$ and had 10-15fps on lowest detail near lowest res possible. still liked the game but it wasnt nearly as fun as it is now. Yes there are issues for lower grade pcs as there are with any game. but still, i think they improved the game more then people realize but at the same time the game does need more work. 

I am very excited for the future for swtor and with a new movie comming out im sure people will come back by the dozens...

First time i played was on a laptop with a dual core amd that i bought 2 years before for 400$ and had 10-15fps on lowest detail near lowest res possible. still liked the game but it wasnt nearly as fun as it is now. Yes there are issues for lower grade pcs as there are with any game. but still, i think they improved the game more then people realize but at the same time the game does need more work. 

I am very excited for the future for swtor and with a new movie comming out im sure people will come back by the dozens...

If they redo a engine/api in the game? Yup the game could definately take off. Like I said I really liked the game. Problem is? When people with laptops lesser Intel's can't play it well and they can't do large events and or large scale pvp?

The game will never take off. See Wild Star. See Guild Wars 2. See Tera. 

SWTOR had good combat, fun classes, fun leveling. Like I said the core of the game was fantastic.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

If they redo a engine/api in the game? Yup the game could definately take off. Like I said I really liked the game. Problem is? When people with laptops lesser Intel's can't play it well and they can't do large events and or large scale pvp?

The game will never take off. See Wild Star. See Guild Wars 2. See Tera. 

SWTOR had good combat, fun classes, fun leveling. Like I said the core of the game was fantastic.

Wildstar has died down and guild wars 2 doesnt have any type of player base it seems and i really like tera the only issue is im not a anime type person so its just not my type of mmo. swtor has great lore backing and graphics are seemingly great after the few years ive played. i think in time as computers can handle it more and more people will come back and play it, the main reason i quit was due to the fact my computer couldnt handle the game and i couldnt pvp. now i have a beast of a pc and can play the game and enjoy it

I used to love this game. I bought it before it went f2p with two subscription cards. I didn't play it for very long though. I put like 18 hours into a Sith Marauder and then figured out it sucked and then just stopped playing. I would have gone back to it, but Diablo 3 came out and I played that for about a million hours. I might check it out again though since you reminded me. What does having a subscription give you now it's free?

I used to love this game. I bought it before it went f2p with two subscription cards. I didn't play it for very long though. I put like 18 hours into a Sith Marauder and then figured out it sucked and then just stopped playing. I would have gone back to it, but Diablo 3 came out and I played that for about a million hours. I might check it out again though since you reminded me. What does having a subscription give you now it's free?

Sub means you can do everything just like WoW. Free is restricted, but not as much as WoW as far as single player. You can level, but it is slower. You have a limited number of dungeons/instances you can do. You can't effect the economy have that much gold(china farmers would go crazy with it if you could). You don't get the two expansions. I imagine you could level a character from 1-60 though.SWTOR had an absolute @$%load of quests. 

SWTOR1.jpg

Sub means you can do everything just like WoW. Free is restricted, but not as much as WoW as far as single player. You can level, but it is slower. You have a limited number of dungeons/instances you can do. You can't effect the economy have that much gold(china farmers would go crazy with it if you could). You don't get the two expansions. I imagine you could level a character from 1-60 though.SWTOR had an absolute @$%load of quests. 

At least it's still worth it then if you're a regular, without it being necessary. I doubt I'll pay for it though.

At least it's still worth it then if you're a regular, without it being necessary. I doubt I'll pay for it though.

Yeah people played up the free to play thing way too much. If U.S. servers are starting to be populated again I might play again. From what I have heard the game is still popular in Europe. I never really did raiding in SWTOR and just pvp'd alot, but at least I give a @$%# about the lore, unlike WoW lol. 

I was on Fatman server which got changed to a merge, and I think it was prophecy of the 5.

Anyone play on that server and know if the pop is ok again?

Yeah people played up the free to play thing way too much. If U.S. servers are starting to be populated again I might play again. From what I have heard the game is still popular in Europe. I never really did raiding in SWTOR and just pvp'd alot, but at least I give a @$%# about the lore, unlike WoW lol. 

I was on Fatman server which got changed to a merge, and I think it was prophecy of the 5.

Anyone play on that server and know if the pop is ok again?

i play on the Bastion and its usually heavy or so. I dont check the servers to often but all of them are at standard or heavy when im on. to be honest i wouldnt be surprised if a new server is opened soon...

I wanted to enjoy it, but I just can't. There are way too many things that they keep throwing up in your face to tell you that you haven't paid for anything.

I know... I get it. Running an MMO costs money... but if you're going to make the story F2P, at least allow me to get through it without constantly reminding me that I don't have a subscription. I don't want to be given quest rewards I can't use, and slowing down my XP progression so I have to sit there and grind mobs on each planet just to be able to get through the content my account is supposed to be able to see.

If a game is good enough, I'm going to fork over money for it with a big smile on my face and not regret the decision. If you keep shoving ads in my face and telling me I'm a loser because I can't use some item I was given for completing a quest unless I give you dollars... I'm just going to stop playing.

Which is exactly what I did. I played a Jedi Guardian to around level 20 and stopped playing. When I went back a year later, I played a Bounty Hunter to level 25-ish and just stopped playing again.

That, and the combat ended up annoying me... but that's another conversation entirely.

I'm one of the biggest KotOR fans you'll meet... and even TOR being the "spiritual KotOR 3" couldn't make me stick around. I'd much rather play Guild Wars 2.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

Its still tedious and boring though

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Its still tedious and boring though

took 4 hours for raid ready gear and level 60 from 55.... pvp is tedious and lore makes it fun for me at least.

I wanted to enjoy it, but I just can't. There are way too many things that they keep throwing up in your face to tell you that you haven't paid for anything.

I know... I get it. Running an MMO costs money... but if you're going to make the story F2P, at least allow me to get through it without constantly reminding me that I don't have a subscription. I don't want to be given quest rewards I can't use, and slowing down my XP progression so I have to sit there and grind mobs on each planet just to be able to get through the content my account is supposed to be able to see.

If a game is good enough, I'm going to fork over money for it with a big smile on my face and not regret the decision. If you keep shoving ads in my face and telling me I'm a loser because I can't use some item I was given for completing a quest unless I give you dollars... I'm just going to stop playing.

Which is exactly what I did. I played a Jedi Guardian to around level 20 and stopped playing. When I went back a year later, I played a Bounty Hunter to level 25-ish and just stopped playing again.

That, and the combat ended up annoying me... but that's another conversation entirely.

I'm one of the biggest KotOR fans you'll meet... and even TOR being the "spiritual KotOR 3" couldn't make me stick around. I'd much rather play Guild Wars 2.

well, i subbed for 1 month and loved the game as a sub vs f2p and thats what kept me