What is ACTUALLY going on with 970s?

in 2 years the 290 will probably still be used in high end benchmark charts. the 970 probably won't be. by then DX12 AAA games will start emerging (dev time n' all), and suddenly bus width is going to be even more crucial with the increased size of draw calls and gradual increase to texture size from now until then - meanwhile new AMD and Nvidia flagship cards will both be using HBM at that point. the 290 will probably last longer through this transition, like most AMD flagship cards. I have my doubts the 970 will stay relevant for that long.

I read somewhere that 290 works with DX 11.2 and gtx 970 with dx12

Not true ?

Not true ?

False, every R9 AMD card works with dx12. However, dx12 is coming out with windows 10, so a gtx 970 or a 290 both are running at 11.2 right now. When you update to windows 10, they both will run dx12

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Not true ?

both will be compatible. Microsoft have had a number of AMD's engineers helping them with DX12 for quite some time, because Mantle was doing things Microsoft engineers couldn't figure out.  It's also possibly why Mantle and DX12 seem to share a lot of similarities in CPU overhead and performance. There have also been Nvidia engineers working with microsoft as well, which is why Nvidia know the 970/980 will be "compatible." 

The cpu performance gains are real, thats for sure. my cpu gets pegged at 95-100% in Dragonage Inquisition with DX11, but with Mantle its more like 60-70%. I personally can't wait for DX12 games to start popping up in year or 2. it won't be mindblowing, but smoother performance is always nice.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

You really believe that amd drivers are on the same level as nvidia's? I actually feel sorry for you

Which reminds me of those Nvidia drivers that where killing GPUs....

boy the green team sure has trouble remembering stuff

Main rig. Updated :D CPU: FX8350 @stock Cooler: Corsair h110 Motherboard: Ga-990fxa-ud5 Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 1866Mhz GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (blower cooler)  PSU: Cooler Master Silent pro 850w SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue Case: Thermaltake core V71 Fan controler: NZXT Sentry

Secondary PC: CPU: i5 4670k @stock Cooler: Thermaltake NIC L/31 Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 2133Mhz GPU: ZOTAC GTX 780 (Titan cooler) PSU: Antec 520m Pro SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue & WD 2TB Green Case: Thermaltake core V1

Which reminds me of those Nvidia drivers that where killing GPUs....

boy the green team sure has trouble remembering stuff

Which drivers and please list source and facts? Thank you.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Which drivers and please list source and facts? Thank you.

yeah... short memory, will look them up.

Main rig. Updated :D CPU: FX8350 @stock Cooler: Corsair h110 Motherboard: Ga-990fxa-ud5 Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 1866Mhz GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (blower cooler)  PSU: Cooler Master Silent pro 850w SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue Case: Thermaltake core V71 Fan controler: NZXT Sentry

Secondary PC: CPU: i5 4670k @stock Cooler: Thermaltake NIC L/31 Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 2133Mhz GPU: ZOTAC GTX 780 (Titan cooler) PSU: Antec 520m Pro SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue & WD 2TB Green Case: Thermaltake core V1

yeah... short memory, will look them up.

Was the gtx 680 on the list of gpus that had problems with that certain driver?

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

was it the 8800 series that had the problem where the GPU Boost was actually causing games to run worse rather than better? then I think the 660(ti)'s also had the same issue as the 970 iirc.

Was the gtx 680 on the list of gpus that had problems with that certain driver?

Not sure, from what I haveread in forums mainly older gpus and 660TIs and driver issues with 770 for the most part if i remember correctly, i remember because i had a 660TI which was experiencing problems, this was the 320.18 driver, so far i have found only a shit ton of posts on forums about glitches on games like BF3, and some GPUs dying.

Below the only link I have found so far (other than posts from users with problems on nvidia, techpower up, and anandtech forums)

http://modcrash.com/nvidia-display-driver-damaging-gpus/#.UbS1ePnvtQs

It didn't kill everything it touched, but it did kill some.

Nvidia also acknowledged the problem on their forums, they took down the driver, and worked on a new one.

Not sure, from what I haveread in forums mainly older gpus and 660TIs and driver issues with 770 for the most part if i remember correctly, i remember because i had a 660TI which was experiencing problems, this was the 320.18 driver, so far i have found only a shit ton of posts on forums about glitches on games like BF3, and some GPUs dying.

Below the only link I have found so far (other than posts from users with problems on nvidia, techpower up, and anandtech forums)

http://modcrash.com/nvidia-display-driver-damaging-gpus/#.UbS1ePnvtQs

It didn't kill everything it touched, but it did kill some.

Nvidia also acknowledged the problem on their forums, they took down the driver, and worked on a new one.

Thank you. I remember that driver but nothing was affected for the 680 I owned. Sorry to hear about your 660ti.

Thank you. I remember that driver but nothing was affected for the 680 I owned. Sorry to hear about your 660ti.

:')

Those battlefield 4 numbers are hilarious. 30fps? Who is going to use msaa at 4K with a single card?

As for gaming at 4K with 970's. The only real game I play is bf4 and and they had no issues with it on high.

There isn't a real point to MSAA at 4K, unless the game isn't optimized for it.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

The memory issue isn't all.

Wanna see something else?

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/781982/geforce-drivers/nvidia-geforce-gtx-900-series-feedback-gathering-low-gpu-load-and-other-issues-

More than 100 pages of issues.

Dudes with 5820K's and 980's having bad performance.

I have a 970, and it was a PITA to get the performance I should get. I had to manually configure RAM speed (something that didn't happened with my GTX 760), upgrade to Win8.1 (and buying an SSD), getting another case fan because the 970 likes to undervolt itself without reason when you reach 70°C even if you apply extra voltage etc...

At least I got a G1 Gaming 1.0 970, with Samsung VRAM, it seems that the VRAM issue doesn't occur in Samsung memory, I tested it in Far Cry 4 and I can go above 3.5GB with full 98-99% load.

But anyways it took me like 2 months to make the card work like it should. Nvidia is saying that everybody is bottlenecked by CPU's, even dudes with K i5's and i7's (I have an i5 4570, no reason to bottleneck)

Dirty move from Nvidia.

I don't get why people say "well, you don't notice it anyways". You paid for something that isn't cheap, and that isn't working as advertised. We should be mad, we should sue them for false advertising.

That's what we get for being early adopters, personally, it's the last time I buy a GPU at launch. I would rather wait for optimized drivers and better revisions of PCB's.

The memory issue isn't all.

Wanna see something else?

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/781982/geforce-drivers/nvidia-geforce-gtx-900-series-feedback-gathering-low-gpu-load-and-other-issues-

More than 100 pages of issues.

Dudes with 5820K's and 980's having bad performance.

I have a 970, and it was a PITA to get the performance I should get. I had to manually configure RAM speed (something that didn't happened with my GTX 760), upgrade to Win8.1 (and buying an SSD), getting another case fan because the 970 likes to undervolt itself without reason when you reach 70°C even if you apply extra voltage etc...

At least I got a G1 Gaming 1.0 970, with Samsung VRAM, it seems that the VRAM issue doesn't occur in Samsung memory, I tested it in Far Cry 4 and I can go above 3.5GB with full 98-99% load.

But anyways it took me like 2 months to make the card work like it should. Nvidia is saying that everybody is bottlenecked by CPU's, even dudes with K i5's and i7's (I have an i5 4570, no reason to bottleneck)

Dirty move from Nvidia.

I don't get why people say "well, you don't notice it anyways". You paid for something that isn't cheap, and that isn't working as advertised. We should be mad, we should sue them for false advertising.

That's what we get for being early adopters, personally, it's the last time I buy a GPU at launch. I would rather wait for optimized drivers and better revisions of PCB's.

When I did the memory burn in MSI Kombuster, for about the first 3.5GB the vRAM was loading fast, for the last 500MB or so it was a lot slower. The bug does exist. I even put up a post demonstrating how to detect it. (G1 gaming BTW)

People please take note, all 4GB is accessible, but the last 500MB underperforms  badly.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Tsk, tsk Nvidia...  -_-

I'm anxiously waiting their next announcement regarding this issue. But at the moment, I remain skeptical as to whether it can be resolved or not.