New build won't turn on, parts all work but not when in the case

ritzbitz24

I just finished my build. I posted perfectly, using the power button on the case connected to my mobo to power it on, and everything worked fine. When I built in the case and tried to power on, I at first got a click from the PSU as if something were about to happen, but nothing ever did. This consistently happens the first time I try every so often. I tried trouble shooting this, removing GPU and RAM, jiggling cables, everything. I took it all out and posted it again, also perfectly fine, still using the case power button. Now when I reinstalled a second time it still doesn't power on.

The problem has to be in the case or something in the case shorting out the motherboard. It's all that's left. I can safely say there are no extra standoffs present, I only have the exact number I need. Please help

SPECS:

mobo - ASRock Z97 Pro3

GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970

CPU - i5 4430

PSU - Corsair CS450

HSF - Cooler Master Hyper 212Evo

Case - NZXT Source 210

EDIT: I had overlooked something basic! I believe my videocard is the problem, as it functions perfectly without it! Should I assume it's dead or are there other tests to ensure it is actually dead before I RMA it?

Rearrange front IO or turn on the motherboard using the 24pin and a paperclip 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Rearrange front IO or turn on the motherboard using the 24pin and a paperclip 

I performed the paperclip test already, the PSU works. If you mean doing that while it's plugged into everything, I feel as if that's a terrible idea, and certainly not a sustainable solution. Also I've tried every configuration, I know which works outside the case, and I also jumped the pins, I just get that click the first time and nothing afterwards.

Do the fans spin up, LED's turn on?

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Do the fans spin up, LED's turn on?

No, nothing happens at all. Outside the case it's fine, but something in the case prevents anything from turning on

No, nothing happens at all. Outside the case it's fine, but something in the case prevents anything from turning on

Are you sure you used the correct screws+standoffs? Best solution would be to rebuild it as carefully as possible following one of Linus' guides

Are you sure you used the correct screws+standoffs? Best solution would be to rebuild it as carefully as possible following one of Linus' guides

I used the screws and standoffs that came with the case, I see no other hardware that would work better.

And I built using Linus' guide.

maybe you don't have enough wattahe in psu

I mean it worked perfectly well outside the case, the only difference is that it's inside a case. Location doesn't affect wattage need, so I'm ruling this out

Try sticking your penis in one of the plug holes maybe? I'm out of ideas too

~Just the tips

The only good human being is a dead human being. 

I5 4690K MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G MSI Z97 GAMING 5 G.SKILL RIPJAWS X 2X8GB 1600MHZ CL10 CORSAIR CX750M CRUCIAL MX100 512GB 2X WD BLUE 1TB CORSAIR 300R BENQ RL2455HM ♦ WIN 8.1 PRO ♦ UBUNTU 14.04

You did plugin the 8-pin CPU power connector and the 24-pin ATX power connector in the case?

Have had a similar issue where due to the location of the 8-pin, the CPU cooler, and the space in the case did not get a 100% connection when I tried to plug it in. Had to take the MB out of the case feed the 8-pin and 24-pin power cables through the cable management holes plug them in securely and then put the MB back into the case.

You did plugin the 8-pin CPU power connector and the 24-pin ATX power connector in the case?

Have had a similar issue where due to the location of the 8-pin, the CPU cooler, and the space in the case did not get a 100% connection when I tried to plug it in. Had to take the MB out of the case feed the 8-pin and 24-pin power cables through the cable management holes plug them in securely and then put the MB back into the case.

I will certainly try some wire rerouting, but everything is plugged in. I know my 8-pin is 100% in, it's my 24-pin that might be problematic. It doesn't seem to ever sit flush with the board socket, but I''ll try to shove it in as best I can

I will certainly try some wire rerouting, but everything is plugged in. I know my 8-pin is 100% in, it's my 24-pin that might be problematic. It doesn't seem to ever sit flush with the board socket, but I''ll try to shove it in as best I can

Congratulations on building your computer, you can do it! 

I would still think it is the PSU, use the papel clip method and if you have a multimeter select the 20v DC option, or the next higher voltage option to 12v you find and check the voltages are OK

You can use this for refference 

http://letsmakerobots.com/files/userpics/u21597/main_connector_atx.jpg

Just check your 20+4 pin/ 8 pin/ PCI.  Yellow wires should give you 12v, and no need to test SATA cables because that cant interfere with POSTING

Aaand after all, make sure you fully discharge everything by switching off your PSU and pressing the ON button for half a minute maybe, and then try to POST again.

CPU AMD FX-6350 @ 4.5Ghz 1.284v Motherboard ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Memory 4x2GB ADATA XPG Gaming v2.0 1600Mhz CPU Cooler Corsair H100i

GPU MSI 270x HAWK Edition Display HP w1907 Storage 1x Samsung 850 EVO 128Gb SSD 1x 400GB Hitachi HDD Case Corsair 450D PSU Corsair CX750M Semi-modular

Keyboard Logitech G105 Blue LED Version Mouse Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 Audio 2x Logitech x230 for a Quad-Channel speaker setup OS Windows 8.1

So just for giggles I tried once again without GPU, and it worked in the case! Should I automatically assume that the card is dead and RMA it, or are there other tests I can run?

So just for giggles I tried once again without GPU, and it worked in the case! Should I automatically assume that the card is dead and RMA it, or are there other tests I can run?

Can be one of 2 things:

1) Gigabyte GTX 970 is bad

2) PCI Express 3.0 x 16 slot is bad

Do you have any other computers that you know work to plug the graphics card into to test it?

Do you have another graphics card to test in the PCI Express 3.0 x 16 slot?

Maybe the mobo is grounded?

meaning that it is in contact with the case's metal parts.