Best place to store photos

Hey guys, I'm in doubt about the best place to keep my family pictures. I care more about safety than availability. Could you give me your insights about this?

Here's my setup:

I have a gaming desktop pc with 500gb of ssd storage. My wife has a MacBook pro with also 500gb of storage that backs up to a 2tb time machine. We also have an raspberry pi around (not being used) and an external 1tb hard drive.

First I tought it would be best to keep everything on Dropbox, but then I would need to buy an hdd to my desktop to keep the folders synchronized and pay for the subscription.

Now I'm considering keeping the files on the time machine and also on the external hdd.

What do you guys think?

By the way, we have about 100gb of photos, but that will increase a lot over time.

on i cloud Kappa 

5820k@3.8GHz| Corsair H100i |Gigabyte x99 SLI | Corsair 16GB | EVGA 780Ti SC ACX SLI x2 |240GB SSD120GB SSD 512GB SSD 2TB HDD | 3x ASUS VN247H 24" ( nVidia Surround)

the extra 1tb drive

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.

If you are concerned about safety, I would put it on a external drive that is not plugged to the PC all the time :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

That's were I keep them now. Should I be worried about the disk getting corrupted or something? It's unplugged and on a safe place.

I would just keep them on an external drive, and maybe back them up on Google Drive for reassurance 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

That's were I keep them now. Should I be worried about the disk getting corrupted or something? It's unplugged and on a safe place.

If they are priceless memories, back up your 1 tb to another drive once every so often and store it offsite like a friends or siblings house.

Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel Core i5 3570k 4.2 GHz, EVGA GTX 780, Corsair Vengeance 16Gb ,

Samsung EVO 250&500Gb, Western Digital Black 2TB,  Corsair RM 750

Custom Water Loop

CPU Block Koolance 380iGPU Block EKWB Clean CSQPump Laing DDC w/ EKWB X-RES 100Radiatiors NexXxoS Monsta 240 & Swiftech 240x35Tubing PrimoChill Primoflex Advanced LRT Elegant White 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFittings White Monsoon Free Centre Compression Fittings 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFans6x Noctua NF-F12 w/Noctua LNA Adaptors

If they are priceless memories, back up your 1 tb to another drive once every so often and store it offsite like a friends or siblings house.

This

Have at least one backup.  If that 1TB drive fails, it will cost quite a bit to let a data recovery firm retrieve the data on there. 

Also look at burning them to Blue Rays as that is know to be a safe and reliable method on top of HDD

For your most precious photos you should have them saved in at least 2 different places. One local and one online. I have my photos saved on my NAS (RAID 5) as well as Dropbox.

The reason why you want at least one online service is because if for example your house catches on fire then it doesn't matter how many USB memory sticks you got them saved on, they will be ruined anyway. The local copy can be on a computer, a USB memory stick, bluray or whatever.

Have them printed out (on proper photo paper with proper ink... see your print shop) and put them in a photo album...

No thief would take interest in your photo album...

A physical photo album cannot be hacked...

A physical photo album will last longer than your hard drive when kept properly...

Thanks for the reply guys!

I guess the best way to keep them safe, for now, is on the external hd and on Dropbox.

But I was thinking, on the long term, that instead of paying $99 a year I could use that money and build my own nas with at least 4 hd for redundancy.

I guess the best way to keep them safe, for now, is on the external hd and on Dropbox.

But I was thinking, on the long term, that instead of paying $99 a year I could use that money and build my own nas with at least 4 hd for redundancy.

You need something off site. Even 2 drives that you take data to on a usb is good if you keep it at your parents house or a close friends

The NAS should not replace online storage. The reason being that in the event of a fire, robbery or anything like that, everything will be gone.

You don't need to pay 99 dollars a year for online backups unless you have A LOT of photos.

Google Drive offers 15GB.

OneDrive offers 15GB (I think).

Dropbox offers like 5GB (you get some more when you upload photos).

Assuming that each photo is ~4MB (that's on the high side for jpeg), that's slightly below 9000 photos.

I am pretty sure OneDrive also gives you an extra 15GB if you upload a few photos from your smartphone app, so that's another 3750 photos for a total of 12500.

The NAS should not replace online storage. The reason being that in the event of a fire, robbery or anything like that, everything will be gone.

You don't need to pay 99 dollars a year for online backups unless you have A LOT of photos.

Google Drive offers 15GB.

OneDrive offers 15GB (I think).

Dropbox offers like 5GB (you get some more when you upload photos).

Assuming that each photo is ~4MB (that's on the high side for jpeg), that's slightly below 9000 photos.

I am pretty sure OneDrive also gives you an extra 15GB if you upload a few photos from your smartphone app, so that's another 3750 photos for a total of 12500.

He already mentioned he has 100GB of photos, so he will definitely have to pay money for a decent cloud service

I use livedrive for mine, and get unlimited online backup (for my server) and 2tb of briefcase (document sync across devices) for £7 a month, if you only want the backup its £3 (uk prices obviously)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Online backup at Amazon Glacier is quite cheap.

You could set up a private Flickr account and back up all your photos there as you get 1TB free storage for photos.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 | RAM: 8GB Kingston Beast 1866MHz

Case: Define R4 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780ti | PSU: Corsair CX600M | SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO

.... and a Partridge in a pear tree! 

If safety is your primary  concern I would store it on an external drive that's unplugged and not in your house.  Also back up to a cloud service like dropbox.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

I really like dropbox bit i find it too expensive. 

It`s the firts time I hear about Amazon Glacier and Live Drive. Will definitely look into them. Thanks!

Hi,

If you wish to save and share then save in Flickr or Snapfish or Photocuket or Canon Irista.