AMD is already designing products on the 14nm node

Deletive

2a.jpg

AMD updates from January 20th in their Company earnings call meeting. AMD is already working on products based on the 14nm process node, according to CEO Dr Lisa Su.

Advanced Micro Devices on Tuesday confirmed for the first time that it is actively designing several chips that will be made using 14nm FinFET process technology. The announcement from AMD indicates that the company will manufacture its new chips either at GlobalFoundries or Samsung Electronics, not at Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., which is a huge surprise.

Advanced Micro Devices on Tuesday confirmed for the first time that it is actively designing several chips that will be made using 14nm FinFET process technology. The announcement from AMD indicates that the company will manufacture its new chips either at GlobalFoundries or Samsung Electronics, not at Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., which is a huge surprise.

It so far isn't known which AMD products will be getting a 14nm-makeover first, but it is presumed semi custom chips (not including console chips).

Word on their financial analyst day has been put on hold since mid-november to reshape it's long term roadmaps. More infomation about future nodes and products such as maybe FX line to be discussed at this event.

For more in-depth infomation:

http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/79758-amd-already-designing-products-14nm-node/

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/amd-we-are-actively-designing-14nm-finfet-chips/

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Well.  This could really give AMD an advantage over the competition.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Great! Can't wait for their GPU's right now but if we will get "Zen" Cpus at 14nm that would be awesome!

Lets hope. Nvidia and Intel really need competition... Seriously, we need competition now!

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

they should, their main competitor has chips using that node already out in the public

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

This ^. Intel barely has competition now and Nvidia takes everything over the 970 price bracket

Without competition they can slack a lot and not really have any worry on where their products need to perform... And with 4K here, we are lacking hard in the GPU department to run games at 60FPS 4K. :/

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Ok, so I want a low power, high performance chip with awesome battery life and possibly passive cooling for Windows 10 tablets/hybrids (even better than Core M) and I want high performance chips in both laptops and desktops. I guess I'm asking too much! :D

Without competition they can slack a lot and not really have any worry on where their products need to perform... And with 4K here, we are lacking hard in the GPU department to run games at 60FPS 4K. :/

Think about the performance difference between Ivy Bridge to Haswell Refresh. And the smallest the 760 and the 960.

Steve

Ok, so I want a low power, high performance chip with awesome battery life and possibly passive cooling for Windows 10 tablets/hybrids (even better than Core M) and I want high performance chips in both laptops and desktops. I guess I'm asking too much! :D

As long as they're under 100w for the cpus i dont mind. Heck, Ive got a 850w PSU with an I5 and 760. I got plenty of power to spare

Steve

Lets hope. Nvidia and Intel really need competition... Seriously, we need competition now!

This ^. Intel barely has competition now and Nvidia takes everything over the 970 price bracket

Yes, so much this. More competition is never a bad thing. It's silly to think that AMD is at what, 28nm for their current CPU's? When Intel is already at 14nm.

I want AMD to be more competitive in the higher end market again.

As long as they're under 100w for the cpus i dont mind. Heck, Ive got a 850w PSU with an I5 and 760. I got plenty of power to spare

Agreed, even 125w is acceptable for the highest end chip but with a decent stock cooler or don't ship them with coolers at all.

That reminds me, I did a power draw test on my rig today. Plugged in a device that measures current and maximum power draw in W (don't know what you call them in English).

Turns out my PC pulls 80-100W in normal use and 225W as a MAX in ASC:U. :D

Meh

In America 290's are $240 and the cheapest 970 is $315, I don't see a reason why someone would spend the extra $75 for 10% performance unless they really wanted the Nvidia features and/or power consumption is a big deal to them (it shouldn't be for most people). 

edit: 290x's are $270 (cheapest one) and they are about the same at 1080p and significantly better at 4k, I don't see many reasons to go with a 970 atm :S

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Agreed, even 125w is acceptable for the highest end chip but with a decent stock cooler or don't ship them with coolers at all.

That reminds me, I did a power draw test on my rig today. Plugged in a device that measures current and maximum power draw in W (don't know what you call them in English).

Turns out my PC pulls 80-100W in normal use and 225W as a MAX in ASC:U. :D

Mine would probably be similar

Steve

This is great, although I don't expect this to be avilable from them before 2016.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Meh

In America 290's are $240 and the cheapest 970 is $315, I don't see a reason why someone would spend the extra $75 for 10% performance unless they really wanted the Nvidia features and/or power consumption is a big deal to them (it shouldn't be for most people). 

edit: 290x's are $270 (cheapest one) and they are the same at 1080p and significantly better at 4k, I don't see many reasons to go with a 970 atm :S

Same but people think that the r9 290 will set their house on fire or its better because its new. R9 380X HYPE!

Steve

the thing is everything from AMD is under the 970 price bracket for no significant losses in performance. The current pricing of R9 290(x) cards put the 970 in a place where it almost doesn't make sense anymore. And for the price of a 980 or even less you can buy 2 R9 290Xs, which makes the 980 pointless... for little more you could even get a 295x2, which is even faster than 2 290xs. The 970 was very good value when it lunched, since the R9 290 was just around that price range, but now...

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I wonder how small the processes can get before we hit a wall and can't go farther. I remember being on a 180nm? Pentium 3 5 years ago, and have made stops at 130, 90, 65, 45, and now 22nm along the way. This is crazy for me. Must be crazier for people that have been around since at least the 8086.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

the thing is everything from AMD is under the 970 price bracket for no significant losses in performance. The current pricing of R9 290(x) cards put the 970 in a place where it almost doesn't make sense anymore. And for the price of a 980 or even less you can buy 2 R9 290Xs, which makes the 980 pointless... for little more you could even get a 295x2, which is even faster than 2 290xs. The 970 was very good value when it lunched, since the R9 290 was just around that price range, but now...

Yup and yet 970s are still flying off of shelves. I mean the 290 isn't much more expensive than the 280x here.

Steve

i really hope this happens. it would be huge for the end consumers to have healthy competition.

Blarg

I guess that it will be around Q2 2016 or 2017 when this fab process goes into production? Encouraging news nonetheless! Hopefully the new R3XX GPU launch goes smoothly and it is up-hill from there. There is a lot weighing on the R3XX launch.

Yup and yet 970s are still flying off of shelves. I mean the 290 isn't much more expensive than the 280x here.

Well, sure, sales nombers never really show what the sensible choice is ^^ iphones sell like cupcakes too for that matter :)

But more than the actual quality of the gpus I think there's marketing to blame for that. Nvidia always made sure they got as much visibility as possible, slapping their logo everywhere and paying OEMs to use their gpus in their prebuilts.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

When's all there new stuff scheduled for launch?

It Won't Fail Cause of Me.