4k native or 4k dsr? is there a difference visually?

hydrodub

I've been considering buying a 4k monitor but I cant find a definitive answer anywhere if there is any difference between a 4k native monitor to a 1080p monitor and nvidia dsr at 4k. Anyone seen both of these in person or have a link to information about this?

also side note. first post! :D

I've been considering buying a 4k monitor but I cant find a definitive answer anywhere if there is any difference between a 4k native monitor to a 1080p monitor and nvidia dsr at 4k. Anyone seen both of these in person or have a link to information about this?

4k native 

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

I imagine 4k native will always look better. Not sure how much better though. I have searched a few times for screenshots in comparison but not able to find any.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

Yes, there's a huge difference. 

1080p with 4K DSR is still physically 1080p. 

Moving the thread o Displays.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Oh sorry should have known it was a display question. thanks for moving it and also for the answers!

There's a clear difference between them. DSR 4K just looks like 1080p with some nice AA, but actual 4K, along with AA looks much sharper. 

1080p < 1080p + 4k downscaling < 1440p < 1440p + 4k downscaling < 4k. That is my opinion when not accounting framerate and staying on 16:9 ratio. 

1080p < 1080p + 4k downscaling < 1440p < 1440p + 4k downscaling < 4k. That is my opinion when not accounting framerate and staying on 16:9 ratio. 

1440p with 4k downscaling would look worse than 1080p, just saying.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

How

pixels don't match up. it would look like ass. 1080p to 4k you have 4 pixels which make a nice square. 1440p to 4k would make a blurry mess.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

pixels don't match up. it would look like ass. 1080p to 4k you have 4 pixels which make a nice square. 1440p to 4k would make a blurry mess.

Opposite way 4k signal being downscaled to 1080p. 4k signal being downscaled to a 1440p display. 1080p / 1440p signal to 4k is upscaling.

Opposite way 4k signal being downscaled to 1080p. 4k signal being downscaled to a 1440p display. 1080p / 1440p signal to 4k is upscaling.

yeah that is what i meant anyway, 4k downscaling looks shitty to 1440p.

Spoiler

yes that is exactly what you need for 1440p, you need 5k resolution so you have 4 pixels to 1, you just proved my point.

Spoiler

How

4k downscaling to 1080p is an even 2:1 pixel reduction in a single dimension. Looks great. 4k downscaled to 1440p doesn't have that nice ratio, so it works out way awkward.

yes that is exactly what you need for 1440p, you need 5k resolution so you have 4 pixels to 1, you just proved my point.

Congrats, you proved my opinion wrong because there is a lack of google images I can link? I still prefer 4k -> 1440p over 1440p. k?

Congrats, you proved my opinion wrong because there is a lack of google images I can link? I still prefer 4k -> 1440p over 1440p. k?

no not k.  :mellow:

Spoiler

DSR does not use naive bilinear/bicubic sampling to scale, so is not particuarly affected by non-integer scaling, and is fundamentally different to the way a display controller in an LCD panel will scale an image.

DSR uses a 13-tap gaussian filter. i.e. a 13x13 pixel region of the 'source' image is sample and weighted to prodiuce every pixel of the output image. This obivously means that each pixel of the input image contributes to multiple pixels of the output image with different weightings, as this moving 13x13 region (called a 'kernel') will overlap..

Scaling a 3840x2160 image to 2560x1440 will look better than scaling to 1920x1080, because you have more output pixels available, which means you take more samples of the input image.

• 3 months later...

From my experience , 4k DSR look exactly like 4k native and the exact same performance hit.

UHD/4K DSR looks fantastic and for most people this will bea great option but nothing can compare to using native 1:1 UHD resolution displays