Inexpensive streaming Solution

TakeiT

I've recently moved away, and i'm trying to ditch cable.  Basically, its $100 per month if you want any more than the networks you get over the air anyhow.  I'm looking for the cheapest way possible to do this in 3 bedrooms.  I've got a shared bell receiver with a family member which I have in the living room.  Now, i'm looking for under $80, being that I need multiple.  I am going to put an HTPC in the living room at some point, I just need to upgrade my main pc to steal the motherboard/cpu out of it.  I was thinking about just buying a few raspberry pi B+ and installing XBMC on it.  All I want it to do is stream youtube, shomi, maybe netflix and media from my media pc, while being simple.  However, i'm not sure how good these rpis are, and after you buy a case, microsd, the unit, remotes etc. its still about $100.

Is a Raspberry pi a good option, is there a cheaper solution?  I saw this while browsing threads before, is this better? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/CS918-Android-4-4-Smart-TV-BOX-XBMC-Quad-Core-8GB-WIFI-FULL-1080P-HDMI-Media-/351255119986?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51c86fc872

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently moved away, and i'm trying to ditch cable. Basically, its $100 per month if you want any more than the networks you get over the air anyhow. I'm looking for the cheapest way possible to do this in 3 bedrooms. I've got a shared bell receiver with a family member which I have in the living room. Now, i'm looking for under $80, being that I need multiple. I am going to put an HTPC in the living room at some point, I just need to upgrade my main pc to steal the motherboard/cpu out of it. I was thinking about just buying a few raspberry pi B+ and installing XBMC on it. All I want it to do is stream youtube, shomi, maybe netflix and media from my media pc, while being simple. However, i'm not sure how good these rpis are, and after you buy a case, microsd, the unit, remotes etc. its still about $100.

Is a Raspberry pi a good option, is there a cheaper solution? I saw this while browsing threads before, is this better? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/CS918-Android-4-4-Smart-TV-BOX-XBMC-Quad-Core-8GB-WIFI-FULL-1080P-HDMI-Media-/351255119986?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51c86fc872

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-forge-tv

You could get this when it comes out and pay for sling TV for 20 bucks a month, or do Netflix...

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Chromecast or wait until the NZXT Dojo come out.

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B