[Win 8] Problem with high RAM usage

Stripe103

Hello there LTT Community,

I want to apologize in advance if there is a definitive answer that has already been posted here on the forums. I couldn't seem to find a search feature, so either I'm just blind or there isn't any.

Anyway,

Lately I have had some troubles with my computer, running Windows 8.1 x64, eating up to 89% of my 8 GB (well, 7.9) RAM after a while of regular web browsing usage.
I have managed to track the problem down to being the Non-paged pool memory that lies at sometimes up to 4 GB,
when it seems it should be under 1 GB during normal usage.

At the time of writing the computer is using 5.6 GB of my RAM, running this Chrome window and the Task manager, NP memory being 2.8 of that.

EDIT:

After some more experimenting, I have now found via Poolmon.exe that the tag "NDnd", seemingly connected to my network adapters, is using up over 2 GB by itself.

So I guess this means that there is a problem, but updating the drivers is the only thing I know of that could fix it, although there was no difference afterwards.

There is a problem there, but I do not know how to remedy it.

Things I've tried to fix the problem

Disable the NDU in the registry
On a few search results on Google, I came across people mentioning that the "Network data usage monitoring driver" had problems with memory leaks
leading to the NP Pool going really high, and it's the first thing that comes up searching "Windows NDU" on Google.

So I went into the registry according to all the posts I could find about the problem and changed the Start value to 4, which apparently should
disable it, but after a restart it didn't do any difference.

CPU: AMD FX-6100 (Six Core) 3.31 GHz

RAM: 8 GB 

MB: Asus Sabretooth 990FX

GPU: nVidia GTX 670

Network: Realtek RTL8139

If anyone on here could shed some light on why this problem might occur, it would be really awesome,
because I've had the problem for far too long now, really dried out any ideas I had and is kindof tired of not being able to use my system for
what I built it for, which is gaming, because of something that probably is a tiny bug somewhere.

Regards
Stripe103

Hey there :)

Did you try running something like a MalwareBytes to see if it isn't some kind of malware or infection ?

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Hey there, thanks for the response.

I did try to check if my computer had some malicious software, but it didn't seem to.

However, I did remember today that I had been using an older network card for a while and although it had functioned before, I decided to try to remove it to try.

Sure enough, RAM now seems to stay low and the "NDnd" tag in the Poolmon is nowhere to be seen.

It was probably a combination of using an old network card with no proper Windows 8 driver and me using a network bridge to get network to my Raspberry pi.

Anyway, I guess since it is resolved (seemingly..) I suppose this topic served it's purpose of me basically discussing with myself, so I'll leave it up to the moderators, if they want to remove it, go ahead, or just let it float off into the ether.

Hey there, thanks for the response.

I did try to check if my computer had some malicious software, but it didn't seem to.

However, I did remember today that I had been using an older network card for a while and although it had functioned before, I decided to try to remove it to try.

Sure enough, RAM now seems to stay low and the "NDnd" tag in the Poolmon is nowhere to be seen.

It was probably a combination of using an old network card with no proper Windows 8 driver and me using a network bridge to get network to my Raspberry pi.

Anyway, I guess since it is resolved (seemingly..) I suppose this topic served it's purpose of me basically discussing with myself, so I'll leave it up to the moderators, if they want to remove it, go ahead, or just let it float off into the ether.

Glad it worked out for you :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler