Smash the PS4 v2 ($392.44)

Jack.EXE

Okay, that's true about the controllers and TV. Eh, it depends on your PC hardware. If it is cheap, sure, but you also have to worry about that hardware not being sold anymore when it does die. The chances of a console not being found new or pieces of it new are a lot less likely. At least in my experience it has been easier.

Okay, what is the final price of the build (you don't mean the OP one, right?)? 600$, 700$ or 800$? More?

My price considers OP's build.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

IMO "smash da PS4" build should have a budget of $650-700. Simply because it's cheaper to maintain long-term, most of the games are cheaper and finally, because PC does way more stuff than a console.

Best regards, PC & PS4 user.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Doesn't everyone have a random keyboard and mouse laying around?

Or, I would assume that most people already have a pc, so therefore have a mouse and keyboard.

I have the PS/2 version of Microsoft's mouse (the old yellowish beige ones, I've also got a serial one as well with 'patent pending'-both work), plus the Media Center keyboard from my old AMD K6-2 rig (they keyboard still has more functions than anything else currently available). And honestly, its not that hard to pickup a decent second hand keyboard, I could go to the nearest computer shop, and get a laser mouse for $10, and a Keyboard for $5 (PS/2 versions are $2.50)

IMO "smash da PS4" build should have a budget of $650-700. Simply because it's cheaper to maintain long-term, most of the games are cheaper and finally, because PC does way more stuff than a console.

Best regards, PC & PS4 user.

Plus for those that build it right, it can go in the living room as well near the TV.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Or ... 

you-are-a-pirate-2-o.gif

Not that I am recommending doing that sort of thing. OEM Windows 7 isn't that expensive these days.

XBox Ones are free if you steal them, too...

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($166.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 

Memory: Kingston Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($59.67 @ Amazon) 

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card  ($199.99 @ Amazon) 

Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($29.98 @ OutletPC) 

Total: $653.49

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-25 07:29 EST-0500

Add peripherals/OS of your choice.

Oh yeah, and I've stumbled across this while choosing the PSU: NCIXUS

EVGA 400W for ten bucks, anyone? :D

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Although I don't want to jump into a shitstorm here, when the argument about the need for peripherals for a console killer build is made, consider the fact that you're going to save that money back by getting much cheaper games on PC, as well as no subscription for multiplayer etc. It's still a larger investment upfront, but it's like having solar panels, it pays itself off.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

XBox Ones are free if you steal them, too...

Touche

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

okay, so we have a $400 PC that includes an R9 7790 ( considered to be as powerful as PS4, and rebranded 260X), no keyboard or mouse, or if there is everyone suggest the cheapest on the shelf, whereas the consoles first party included controller are quite decent quality, they are pricey alone as well

OS is not included, I would not go for Win 7, Win 8.1 is £50 student, and there are dodgy ways like g2a

This PC will not play 1080 60FPS as long as PS4 can play 900/60//1080p 30 and occasional 1080/60, that will play games for a long long time

Consoles are perfect, if you just want to have fun. You can deny it, you can fight against it but it is pointless. there are better things to do rather than argue day long which platform is better for entertaining for everyone

Okay, let's do an honest to god "Year" of gaming.

How many games does the typical person buy in a year? Let's assume two popular games, and two not-so-popular games. A new game every 3 months is fair.

Console:

$400 Console Cost

TV you already have

($60 x 4) = $240 (games)

$5 x 12 = $60 ($5 a month for online)

Total: $700 (this is very generous IMO)

PC:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($166.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus H81M-D PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($44.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Elite Plus 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($58.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270 2GB TurboDuo Video Card  ($131.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Raidmax ATX-249B (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N150PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($11.59 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  ($27.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $535.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-25 10:07 EST-0500

TV you already have (or monitor or whatever, the GPU has hdmi outputs just like the console)

Games: ($60 + $15 + $0 + $0)

Total: $640.86

Let's face it, the best PC games are free (LoL, Dota2, Planetside 2, Hearthstone, Path of Exile, Black Mesa Source, etc). The other games are cheap ($15 for CS:GO at full MSRP, steam sales enabling you to get games like the Tomb Raider reboot for $4, Bioshock Infinite for $5, etc). I mean, yes if you want to play the newest AAA title on release day it's going to cost $60 same as console, but wait a bit and it'll drop to $30, $20, or even $5 on a steam sale even within the year sometimes. Stretch this from 1 year to 2 and it gets downright nasty in cost comparison.

And don't say that's not a good PC. That PC will last years. A simple GPU upgrade halfway through will let it last around the same lifespan as the console depending on your preference, with no other changes. I even threw in ALL of the stuff that people are likely to complain about: keyboard, mouse, and even a WiFI card. Most people are likely to either already have these (keyboard and mouse) or not want to use them (wifi adapter). That's another $40 in favor of the PC that honestly should count. Also, I'm not even forcing the console gamer to buy a second controller to play with their friend.

Okay, let's do an honest to god "Year" of gaming.

How many games does the typical person buy in a year? Let's assume two popular games, and two not-so-popular games. A new game every 3 months is fair.

Console:

$400 Console Cost

TV you already have

($60 x 4) = $240

$10 for the yearly subscription

Total: $650 (this is very generous IMO)

PC:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($166.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Asus H81M-D PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($44.49 @ Newegg)

Memory: Team Elite Plus 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($58.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.88 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270 2GB TurboDuo Video Card  ($131.98 @ Newegg)

Case: Raidmax ATX-249B (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($19.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($24.99 @ Newegg)

Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N150PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($11.59 @ OutletPC)

Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  ($27.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $535.89

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-25 10:07 EST-0500

TV you already have (or monitor or whatever, the GPU has hdmi outputs just like the console)

Games: ($60 + $15 + $0 + $0)

Total: $640.86

Let's face it, the best PC games are free (LoL, Dota2, Planetside 2, Hearthstone, Path of Exile, Black Mesa Source, etc). The other games are cheap ($15 for CS:GO at full MSRP, steam sales enabling you to get games like the Tomb Raider reboot for $4, Bioshock Infinite for $5, etc). I mean, yes if you want to play the newest AAA title on release day it's going to cost $60 same as console, but wait a bit and it'll drop to $30, $20, or even $5 on a steam sale even within the year sometimes. Stretch this from 1 year to 2 and it gets downright nasty in cost comparison.

And don't say that's not a good PC. That PC will last years. A simple GPU upgrade halfway through will let it last around the same lifespan as the console depending on your preference, with no other changes. I even threw in ALL of the stuff that people are likely to complain about: keyboard, mouse, and even a WiFI card. Most people are likely to either already have these (keyboard and mouse) or not want to use them (wifi adapter). That's another $40 in favor of the PC that honestly should count. Also, I'm not even forcing the console gamer to buy a second controller to play with their friend.

A wifi card is always a big one for me, not everyone is able to have their router in their office or bedroom.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

What "genius" uses WiFi on a DESKTOP?! Also, don't lie to me when you say you didn't consider gaming when you bought that TV of yours. Also, you need to buy additional controllers for friends and plus, you can't honestly tell me you use the stock headset? because no one uses stock headset.

i will be that genius..i have my internet connection over a cable one, but I'll be getting a peripheral to have wifi, since my internet port is already quite faulty..

add-on card will be used but then i'd still have that wifi peripheral

this topic is great..instead of buying an actual ps4, why not this. =) albeit desktop games still though

cheers

Caseless i3 build incoming ;)

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($105.75 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Biostar B85MG Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($31.98 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($31.98 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270 2GB TurboDuo Video Card  ($149.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($34.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $425.06
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-30 09:11 EST-0500