Smash the PS4 v2 ($392.44)

Jack.EXE

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($70.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88M-HD+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($44.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Crucial 2GB (1 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($19.91 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($40.62 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270 2GB TurboDuo Video Card  ($131.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cougar Spike MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: EVGA 400W ATX Power Supply  ($9.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($13.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $392.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-24 11:51 EST-0500

It has been about a month since my last smash the PS4 thread. Prices have changed, Benchmarks have shown the G3258's weakness, and it's time for an update.

This time, we have ourselves a quad core processor, six gigs of ram, an R9-270, and a 500 gig HDD.

I'm confident in this rig's ability to play most games on high, and almost every game on medium.

No OS. No peripherals.

If you say SteamOS, I'd rather pick the Xbox One because of the better game selection. If you say buy some cheap $30 mouse and keyboard bundle, I'd rather use an Xbox One controller. I could live without the headset, but it's nice to have.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Beautiful.

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

I know that there are a decent amount of games on Linux, but Windows is still going to add another ~$100 for people who want to play anything.

That being said, it's still a very powerful PC for the price.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

No OS though... To be honest you cannot beat the new consoles in terms of price for performance. 

I know that there are a decent amount of games on Linux, but Windows is still going to add another ~$100 for people who want to play anything.

Or ... 

you-are-a-pirate-2-o.gif

Not that I am recommending doing that sort of thing. OEM Windows 7 isn't that expensive these days.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

You can get windows for like 30$ on G2A

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come

Here you go:

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($83.45 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88M-HD+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($44.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Team Elite Plus 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($58.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card  ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Raidmax ATX-249B (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($24.98 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Rosewill RK-100 Wired Standard Keyboard  ($7.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Perixx MX-1800 Mouse (A3090 Sensor, Omron Switches) ($17.99)
Total: $397.26
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-24 12:08 EST-0500

Includes peripherals except monitor/speakers. 8GB memory. 860k. R7 260x is still more GPU horsepower than next-gen consoles. And Linux/SteamOS still is a great gaming library, or if you're a student you can get windows on the cheap with the dreamspark program. Tons of options. Cheap. Better.

Also, all parts here are actually good parts with no corner cutting. Actually good PSU (and by good I mean not shit), 8GB RAM without going weird single-channel of two different DIMMs, great mouse, serviceable keyboard, 2GB VRAM on the GPU, etc. Good stuff. Even the case is decent. Granted I rely on rebates to hell and back, but whatever. It's cheap as hell.

No OS. No peripherals.

If you say SteamOS, I'd rather pick the Xbox One because of the better game selection. If you say buy some cheap $30 mouse and keyboard bundle, I'd rather use an Xbox One controller. I could live without the headset, but it's nice to have.

You need to pay for peripherals and online gameplay on consoles.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

You need to pay for peripherals and online gameplay on consoles.

The console comes with a controller and mic, I'm not talking about a monitor or speakers.

You also don't have to pay for online, it's just if you absolutely want to go online. If I'm looking to do only solo games, do I have a problem with either choice? 

If you want more features, this console smasher doesn't include WiFi, yet consoles do.

The console comes with a controller and mic, I'm not talking about a monitor or speakers.

You also don't have to pay for online, it's just if you absolutely want to go online. If I'm looking to do only solo games, do I have a problem with either choice? 

If you want more features, this console smasher doesn't include WiFi, yet consoles do.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/rosewill-wireless-network-card-rnxn150pce

$11.59

That's really not that expensive. You really can fit it all in if you want to nitpick by taking my build and downgrading the CPU to a 760K like in the OP's build, or if you even want to fit in an OS you can downgrade the memory to a single 4GB stick and you have $30 for the dreamspark program or other sources.

edit:

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($83.45 @ OutletPC)

Memory: Corsair XMS3 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($22.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: Corsair XMS3 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($22.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.88 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card  ($89.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Raidmax ATX-249B (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($19.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($24.98 @ NCIX US)

Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N150PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($11.59 @ OutletPC)

Keyboard: Rosewill RK-100 Wired Standard Keyboard  ($7.99 @ Amazon)

Other: Perixx MX-1800 Mouse (A3090 Sensor, Omron Switches) ($18.00)

Total: $395.84

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-24 12:39 EST-0500

There, still kick-ass (at least, compared to the consoles) and under-budget, with good peripherals and wifi. You can drop a single stick of memory for Windows (via dreamspark or other) if you must. 4GB RAM + 2GB VRAM is equal to the console, and sufficient for gaming if you don't have anything going on in the background.

Edited by Lotus

Logitech Controller: $9.99

Rosewill Wifi card: $11.59

Fedora 20 W/ Playonlinux (WINE for gaming): Free

No OS. No peripherals.

Why do people ALWAYS use this argument?

Look at the price tag of a ps4. Does it include 5-6 years of sub fee? No. And while people might already have an os, nobody already "owns" leftover sub months. Peripherals are like 20 bucks. Sure, you don't HAVE to buy the subscription, but if you don't you're giving up PART OF YOUR GAMING CAPABILITIES  Not to mention that without the sub fee, you pay all games at full price, and guess what, they are 10 to 20 bucks more expensive than on pc at launch and while pc prices on steam drop very fast, they hardly ever do for console games.

Last but not least, windows 10 is currently 100% free, and it seems like you'll be able to purchase the retail version for damn cheap when it does release. Not to mention ubuntu with wine, which can actually run almost any game although it's sub optimal.

@Jack.EXE personally I'd prefer if you used @Lotus ' case and used the extra money to go for 8gb of ram and a 1tb hdd, they are just a couple of bucks more expensive than 500gb ones.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Doesn't everyone have a random keyboard and mouse laying around?

Or, I would assume that most people already have a pc, so therefore have a mouse and keyboard.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

What "genius" uses WiFi on a DESKTOP?! Also, don't lie to me when you say you didn't consider gaming when you bought that TV of yours. Also, you need to buy additional controllers for friends and plus, you can't honestly tell me you use the stock headset? because no one uses stock headset.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

Or ... 

you-are-a-pirate-2-o.gif

Not that I am recommending doing that sort of thing. OEM Windows 7 isn't that expensive these days.

lol just go to a store, school or something and write down the product keys on the side of all their computers ;) thats what I do.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

Why do people ALWAYS use this argument?

Look at the price tag of a ps4. Does it include 5-6 years of sub fee?

Look at the specs of that PC. As it stands, that PC is barely better than a console (and I'd for that price still take the console), and additionally the PC will show its age faster than the PS4 will. Developers will always work to press the limits of the consoles available, and weak GPUs and CPUs like the ones in the "smash the PS4" builds will simply fall by the wayside with no one caring for them, and very quickly settings will go from high to medium to low.

And anyway, I have a PS4, and don't have PS+. If I did, I'd get free games every month which alone pays for the sub fee. Plus Xbone/PS4 controllers are not exactly cheap, and its inclusion should be factored in.

You can get $5 keyboards and $5 mice at Walmart. Lets not forget the glory that is Steam sales. Or the multiple websites that offers games for as much as 75% off (even Amazon and Newegg do this for older games, i bought several copies of Borderlands 2 for $5 a piece). A lot of the newer games are coming out with linux support already, and Wine is another option that works for the most part. If you are a college student, MS sells all versions of windows at an incredible discount (even comes with the office programs). You can get Windows 8.1 for as little as $40 as a student. I know not everyone is a student, but the majority of people that play consoles are quite young, and even my cheap community college qualifies for these discounts. 

There are alternatives and shortcuts that anyone can take to get the best gaming experience on all platforms, but i find that the Pc offers the best price over time. The games tend to be cheaper, the multiplayer experience tends to be better (lets not forget all of the MMO games we can play that consoles do not even have access to) and the ability to mod older games to add a longer lifespan to them is an amazing appeal to most gamers.

The consoles price is going to be cheaper than a PC, but the price for the experience you get, will forever be in the PC's hands. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

What "genius" uses WiFi on a DESKTOP?! Also, don't lie to me when you say you didn't consider gaming when you bought that TV of yours. Also, you need to buy additional controllers for friends and plus, you can't honestly tell me you use the stock headset? because no one uses stock headset.

1) My desktop has WiFi because my old ASRock board had broken ethernet connectors.

2) None of my TVs were considered with gaming. I have a 50" TV I got because it was on sale for $200, and the others don't even belong to me. My monitor was purchased with gaming in mind, though.

3) At least I have the option to buy new controllers, I only know one PC game that works with more than one player.

4) I use the stock headset, I'm too cheap to get anything else if I don't need it.

Look at the specs of that PC. As it stands, that PC is barely better than a console (and I'd for that price still take the console), and additionally the PC will show its age faster than the PS4 will. Developers will always work to press the limits of the consoles available, and weak GPUs and CPUs like the ones in the "smash the PS4" builds will simply fall by the wayside with no one caring for them, and very quickly settings will go from high to medium to low.

And anyway, I have a PS4, and don't have PS+. If I did, I'd get free games every month which alone pays for the sub fee. Plus Xbone/PS4 controllers are not exactly cheap, and its inclusion should be factored in.

The R9 270 is faster than a ps4, there's no argument to be had here. Especially with overclocking, which is impossible on a console. Maybe developers try to push the limits (although bare in mind this isn't CELL anymore, this time developers already know what they are dealing with perfectly well), but the fact is that if I want 1080p 60fps on an R9 270, at medium settings if necessary, I can do it with pretty much any game. Not so with consoles. Also, bare in mind an hd6450 can do as well as a ps3 if not better. When the ps3 launched, even high end gpus had a hard time beating it by a large margin; this time even mid-low end stuff can easily beat the ps4. This generation won't last even remotely as long as the last one, and an R9 270 won't have any problem getting through it while still sporting better resolutions and framerates.

The free games don't pay for ps+ if you compare it to what you could buy on a pc for the same money. And every time you pay full price for a physical game that isn't offered on ps+ you spend on one game what you could spend to buy 3 or 4 on pc. And by not paying for ps+, you get features simply removed from those same games that you pay extra for.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1) My desktop has WiFi because my old ASRock board had broken ethernet connectors.

2) None of my TVs were considered with gaming. I have a 50" TV I got because it was on sale for $200, and the others don't even belong to me. My monitor was purchased with gaming in mind, though.

3) At least I have the option to buy new controllers, I only know one PC game that works with more than one player.

4) I use the stock headset, I'm too cheap to get anything else if I don't need it.

1) Replace the board then it stuff starts breaking on it

2) And you didn't consider the probabioity that a 50" for $200 would be craptacular?

3) I can name many local multiplayer games on PC. Point is?

4) Too cheap to get better headsets yet not too cheap to pay $60 a year for online gameplay and $60+ for your games?

Also, remember that you have to consider the long term cost...

You buy this PC ~$350, you buy cheap peripherals for $10 and then buy a Windows key from /r/softwareswap and in the end you have $40 left for games. During or not during a Steam sale that gets you a lot of games.

You buy a PS4 for $399. You buy at least three games for it, so that's $180. When those are completed you probably end up buying three more and that's another $180. You'll need to replace your controller eventually so that's $50 gone as well. Altogether, that's $810. You could upgrade the GPU on the other PC and that would still not cost as much as the PS4 would over time.

Okay, what about a build with the following?

• OS?
  • Monitor?
  • Keyboard and mouse?

Most people have a TV (not for gaming needs!), and the console comes with the OS and controller setup, so...this guide is really only beneficial to people who have things they can carry over from older builds, or people with higher budgets (which, generally, consoles players do not have).

1) Replace the board then it stuff starts breaking on it

2) And you didn't consider the probabioity that a 50" for $200 would be craptacular?

3) I can name many local multiplayer games on PC. Point is?

4) Too cheap to get better headsets yet not too cheap to pay $60 a year for online gameplay and $60+ for your games?

Also, remember that you have to consider the long term cost...

You buy this PC ~$350, you buy cheap peripherals for $10 and then buy a Windows key from /r/softwareswap and in the end you have $40 left for games. During or not during a Steam sale that gets you a lot of games.

You buy a PS4 for $399. You buy at least three games for it, so that's $180. When those are completed you probably end up buying three more and that's another $180. You'll need to replace your controller eventually so that's $50 gone as well. Altogether, that's $810. You could upgrade the GPU on the other PC and that would still not cost as much as the PS4 would over time.

You're joking right? Keyboards, mice, monitors and PC hardware breaks as well. If you can't properly take care of your controllers, sure, they break. But the same thing happens to keyboards and mice. Don't use the need to replace controllers or broken hardware as a console only problem. You will sound naive and bias.

And when you add the OS, monitor, keyboard and mouse the price will shoot way over the console. And then you go about buying Steam/games and the price continues to grow.

You people arguing over this are absolutely ridiculous looking.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Okay, what about a build with the following?

• OS?
  • Monitor?
  • Keyboard and mouse?
Most people have a TV (not for gaming needs!), and the console comes with the OS and controller setup, so...this guide is really only beneficial to people who have things they can carry over from older builds, or people with higher budgets (which, generally, consoles players do not have).

You're joking right? Keyboards, mice, monitors and PC hardware breaks as well. If you can't properly take care of your controllers, sure, they break. But the same thing happens to keyboards and mice. Don't use the need to replace controllers or broken hardware as a console only problem. You will sound naive and bias.

And when you add the OS, monitor, keyboard and mouse the price will shoot way over the console. And then you go about buying Steam/games and the price continues to grow.

You people arguing over this are absolutely ridiculous looking.

You can still use a controller and TV with your PC so it probably wouldn't be necessary for you to buy a monitor. Also, even with a hardware fault; replacing it would still be cheaper than consoles in the long term. you also have to consider the longevity of both platforms and in this instance the PC always wins because you can easily fix it unlike on Console where you either have to send it back to the manufacturer or if it's past the two year warranty; you have to buy a new console.

Additionally, also, my pricing includes OS which you can get from /r/softwareswap for around $25. You can get a cheap keyboard and mouse bundle for approximately $15 or less.

You can still use a controller and TV with your PC so it probably wouldn't be necessary for you to buy a monitor. Also, even with a hardware fault; replacing it would still be cheaper than consoles in the long term. you also have to consider the longevity of both platforms and in this instance the PC always wins because you can easily fix it unlike on Console where you either have to send it back to the manufacturer or if it's past the two year warranty; you have to buy a new console.

Additionally, also, my pricing includes OS which you can get from /r/softwareswap for around $25. You can get a cheap keyboard and mouse bundle for approximately $15 or less.

Okay, that's true about the controllers and TV. Eh, it depends on your PC hardware. If it is cheap, sure, but you also have to worry about that hardware not being sold anymore when it does die. The chances of a console not being found new or pieces of it new are a lot less likely. At least in my experience it has been easier.

Okay, what is the final price of the build (you don't mean the OP one, right?)? 600$, 700$ or 800$? More?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |