Nvidia shield 16gb vs 32gb

vargasmir01

I'm about to buy the shield, and I just noticed that I can buy the 32gb lte version without problems, but, I can also buy the 16gb model and also buy a 64gb microSD card plus insurance against accidents for less than the 399 the lte model costs.

Is it a good trade? The microSD plus the insurance? Or should I just buy the lte model?

(don't really care about the lte connectivity, here in El Salvador 4g is too expensive to even care, but are there any other effects of not having the native 32gb but a microSD?)

Thanks in advance!

Are you planning on using it for android gaming? Android tends to throw a hissy fit at you if you try to install apps on removable storage.

Get the 16GB + SD + insurance option

My iPad Air 2 has 16GB only, no 3G/4G and I still live well with it

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

you can`t install apps on the sd card. not without root(and even then its a pain to work sometimes).go with the 32gig if you want to install big games. 

with the 16gb model you are left with like 10gigs of storage for you to use

I'm planning to use it for basic reading/text editing and the nvidia game stream, no plans for Android gaming at least not at the moment.

Android tends to throw a hissy fit at you if you try to install apps on removable storage.

you can`t install apps on the sd card. not without root(and even then its a pain to work sometimes)

Lollipop update addresses this.

"Rawr XD"

Lollipop update addresses this.

Fair enough. Personally I'd still rather have all of the apps local and use the SD card for auxiliary information like music though.

Fair enough. Personally I'd still rather have all of the apps local and use the SD card for auxiliary information like music though.

So would you think that it makes no difference choosing the 16gb model?

So would you think that it makes no difference choosing the 16gb model?

Depends on how many apps you intend to use, doesn't it? I can't tell you what your data usage is like.

Depends on how many apps you intend to use, doesn't it? I can't tell you what your data usage is like.

That's true, I think that if the non critical apps can be installed on the SD card and the performance heavy ones on the local memory then everything should be good

That's true, I think that if the non critical apps can be installed on the SD card and the performance heavy ones on the local memory then everything should be good

Definitely. KitKat had a huge issue with this which lead to people buying higher-capacity versions of devices they weren't assured would be updated to Lollipop. However since Lollipop has now addressed the issue and the SHIELD devices already have OTA's rolling out, SD card issue is no longer a worry.

"Rawr XD"

Definitely. KitKat had a huge issue with this which lead to people buying higher-capacity versions of devices they weren't assured would be updated to Lollipop. However since Lollipop has now addressed the issue and the SHIELD devices already have OTA's rolling out, SD card issue is no longer a worry.

Thanks! I'll definitively go for the 16gb + SD card :)