HX850 paper clip test.

Rusty_Shackleford

When I power on the PSU the fan on the PSU will run for 3 seconds max then shut off but the case fan I have plugged into it stays on. It's a brand new PSU I bought at the beginning of December and I'm just now getting to test it. Could this be due to the PSU not reaching a high enough temp for the fan to stay on?

CPU: I7 4790k  CPU Cooler: NH-D15 GPUMSI 970 4gb   Motherboard: z97 Gaming 5 PSU: Corsair hx850   Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 gb  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo  Case: Air 540

Well the PSU has a 0% fan mode feature... as long as it powers the system its fine.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

When I power on the PSU the fan on the PSU will run for 3 seconds max then shut off but the case fan I have plugged into it stays on. It's a brand new PSU I bought at the beginning of December and I'm just now getting to test it. Could this be due to the PSU not reaching a high enough temp for the fan to stay on?

What psu is it? Because on some psu's there is a feature that allows the fan to stay off up to a certain point.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Yep exactly.

From Corsair site

Quiet operation at low loads
Basic PC power supplies have fans that spin whenever your PC is on – whether you’re pushing your graphics card to the limit or just surfing the web.

HX Series power supplies are smarter than that: they generate less heat, so they require less cooling, and the thermally controlled fan only spins when it’s needed.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Ahh thank you guys  :) I've gotten nothing but good replies from people on this forum!

CPU: I7 4790k  CPU Cooler: NH-D15 GPUMSI 970 4gb   Motherboard: z97 Gaming 5 PSU: Corsair hx850   Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 gb  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo  Case: Air 540

As others have said, zero RPM mode?

. Sticker from RM750 states-

Silent operation at low to moderate loads.In this mode fan will not spin.

Does the HX series have this 0db technology?

PSUs need to be connected to the MoBo to energise the 'power good wire' or they will not keep supplying power, you can 'poodle-fake' this connection by shorting one of the pins to one of the ground (usually black) wires with a conductive loop (paper clip all the way to a shop bought continuation socket )can't remember which wire though, (seems it's the green one) I am sure a short google will elicit this information.

Edit :-

http://aphnetworks.com/tutorials/psu_paperclip_trick

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"