R9 290 cfx vs GTX 970/980

Hello all,
I currently have a single water cooled R9 290 and I was wondering if i should either

• buy another R9 290+waterblock for around $500 
  • buy a GTX 970 for around $450
  • buy a GTX 980 for around $650

I know the 980 is more powerful then the 970 but what I really want to know is how 2x R9 290's stack up against the new graphics cards from Nvidia.

If someone could link me some benchmarks that would be great because I couldn't find any with a google search.
Thanks

two R9 290s will humiliate everything else. If you have watercooled one already, I'd definiteley go with a 2nd one and watercool that aswell.

who cares...

Agreed... a second 290 will be the best

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Wow really even against a GTX 980?

the 290 isn't even that far behind the 980 in the first place let alone two of them together

Steve

Is crossfire support a big issue? Some talk of terrible experiences and some say its fine?

Is crossfire support a big issue? Some talk of terrible experiences and some say its fine?

I personally had some bad experiences with my brothers R9 270x CF build,but most people seem to be fine.

I personally had some bad experiences with my brothers R9 270x CF build,but most people seem to be fine.

Like what?

I would recommend it. It's what I'm currently using and 2x290's chew through everything. My 3570k is now a bottleneck at times lol.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

stuttering you mean?

the omega driver have solve it already

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Well 2x 290s sounds like the best option and it's gonna look absolutely sweet when they're both water cooled :D thanks everybody for your input!