Hey guys, I've built a new gaming system recently and these are the specs:

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

G.Skill Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory

Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card

EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case

It's running on stock cooler since I'm not thinking of overclocking just yet, however I've been having many issues with the CPU overheating lately,

therefore I'm thinking of upgrading to an aftermarket cooler. I have it set on the Noctua NH-D15, since my goal is to have the 4790k overclocked

to 4.7GHz in the future after I learned how.

Although since I live in a backwater country called australia, with the nearest computer store being 50 minutes drive away. I'm going to bring my 

computer case there and let the store staff assemble it for me. (since I really don't know how and online delivery for the cooler isn't much cheaper 

anyway)

What I'm wondering is, what sort of temperature should I expect with the benchmarks after the new cooler have been mounted? I've rang the store 

and asked, they told me I can bring any benchmark and stress testing tool I want. You guys have any recommendations on what tool to use?

And what temperature range should I expect with the CPU (with non overclocked frequency) after the new cooler has been mounted by store staffs?

For the benchmark/stress testing utility that you're recommending that is, so any problems can be fixed on the spot in store. 

Such as the idle/load/peak temps for the processor and also other components as well. Since it's better to know beforehand and let any problems to

be fixed in the store, than find something wrong and bring the whole case back afterwards.

Thanks for your time and appreciate any response!

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility is my go-to program for stress testing.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Nice thread! Although is that the temperature range with the latest version of Prime? Since previous are much less demanding I've heard.

Thanks I'll bring that along, although what temperatures for idle/load/peak should I expect for this particular utility?

@snkmoorthy

Nice thread! Although is that the temperature range with the latest version of Prime? Since previous are much less demanding I've heard.

@Godlygamer23

Thanks I'll bring that along, although what temperatures for idle/load/peak should I expect for this particular utility?

50ish degrees C I think.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

50ish degrees C I think.

Is that for load or peak? Also do you mean the stress testing or the benchmarking option?

Is that for load or peak? Also do you mean the stress testing or the benchmarking option?

That's 100% load with Intel Extreme Tuning Utility.

The NH-D15 will put most AIO coolers to shame.

Its a very smart choice, if you over heat that cpu without doing something stupid like over volting to a rediculious number, i will be honestly shocked.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

btw u might want to get an ssd for windows install, it will increase loading times on the system quite a bit!?

I stress tested my stock 4790k with the Noctua NH-D15 in Prime 95 for half an hour.

~25°C Idle

~55°C Highest Load temp

Unfortunately I didn't upload the screenshot but I will attest to the potency of the cooler, especially considering that the arflow in my case is a mess.

I stress tested my stock 4790k with the Noctua NH-D15 in Prime 95 for half an hour.

~25°C Idle

~55°C Highest Load temp

Unfortunately I didn't upload the screenshot but I will attest to the potency of the cooler, especially considering that the arflow in my case is a mess.

Hey thanks so much for your reply, however I'm wondering which version of Prime are you using?

Also what's your ambient temp?

Hey thanks so much for your reply, however I'm wondering which version of Prime are you using?

Also what's your ambient temp?

Ambient temp in my room is in the mid 20s right now. Winter in Germany

I used the latest Version from here, 28.5

the same here in Poland, same numbers as stuka06, great cooler for overcloking, performance and silence in one package

we are eternal, all this pain is an illusion...

the same here in Poland, same numbers as stuka06, great cooler for overcloking, performance and silence in one package

Awesome! Thanks so much for this guys! Really helped me a lot! That's really amazing results considering the latest version of prime runs really hot on haswell.

Although just one more question I forgot to ask, which test did you guys run and those results are from?

Is it Small FFT, Blend or other tests?

I used the one that stresses both CPU and memory.

It was for a general burn in after I got my PC back from the repair shop.

Remember kids, update your BIOS. CPU load made my PC crash with a Kernel Power Error and the PSU was not at fault.

I used the one that stresses both CPU and memory.

It was for a general burn in after I got my PC back from the repair shop.

Remember kids, update your BIOS. CPU load made my PC crash with a Kernel Power Error and the PSU was not at fault.

Ahh thanks, so it's the Blend test you've used? These are the descriptions:

1 = Small FFTs (maximum FPU stress, data fits in L2 cache, RAM not tested much).
2 = In-place large FFTs (maximum heat and power consumption, some RAM tested).
3 = Blend (tests some of everything, lots of RAM tested).

I live in Australia but it's kinda cool this time of year, 15-25 °C tomorrow when I'm taking it to the computer shop.
So should I expect similar if not better results? :P

Ahh thanks, so it's the Blend test you've used? These are the descriptions:

1 = Small FFTs (maximum FPU stress, data fits in L2 cache, RAM not tested much).
2 = In-place large FFTs (maximum heat and power consumption, some RAM tested).
3 = Blend (tests some of everything, lots of RAM tested).

I live in Australia but it's kinda cool this time of year, 15-25 °C tomorrow when I'm taking it to the computer shop.
So should I expect similar if not better results? :P

Yeah, I used the 2. one.

I'd expect you to get similiar results.

the airflow in my case is atrocious, but there's a large 200mm blowing down on my CPU cooler directly, so it all evens out.

Yeah, I used the 2. one.

I'd expect you to get similiar results.

the airflow in my case is atrocious, but there's a large 200mm blowing down on my CPU cooler directly, so it all evens out.

So it's the In-place large FFTs you're using right? Just to confirm.

Btw will updating BIOS to the latest version have any effect on the temperatures at all?

Since you mentioned this previously. Also you're using dual fan that came with the cooler right?

So it's the In-place large FFTs you're using right? Just to confirm.

Btw will updating BIOS to the latest version have any effect on the temperatures at all?

Since you mentioned this previously. Also you're using dual fan that came with the cooler right?

Yes, I did use  In-place large FFTs 

No, updating the BIOS had no effect on my temps.

My system would crash under full load. Whioch I found very odd. I really do trust the reliability of Gigabyte motherboards.

If you look at the Z97x-UD5H it ships with BIOS version F4.

If you look at version F8 

1. Improve Intel K-sku CPU performance

That's all it does. And that was the issue my 4790 K (<-!) had.

Yes, I did use  In-place large FFTs 

No, updating the BIOS had no effect on my temps.

My system would crash under full load. Whioch I found very odd. I really do trust the reliability of Gigabyte motherboards.

If you look at the Z97x-UD5H it ships with BIOS version F4.

If you look at version F8 

1. Improve Intel K-sku CPU performance

That's all it does. And that was the issue my 4790 K (<-!) had.

Ahh thanks, btw one last question I forgot to ask, do you have the low noise adaptors plugged in when testing?

Also u using dual fans right?

Ahh thanks, btw one last question I forgot to ask, do you have the low noise adaptors plugged in when testing?

Also u using dual fans right?

I am using both.

I did not plug in the low noise adaptors. The Noctua is far from being the loudest part in my system so I will test it once I have a new case and new case fans.

I do have both of the fans plugged into my motherboard though.