The ULTIMATE Controller Showdown! DS4 VS Xbox One!

XTankSlayerX

UYCDwsE.gif

Okay, I know "PC Master race" but its nice to have a little bit of the console race as well, I'm talking of course about the Xbox One and DualShock 4 controllers. This is the long awaited controller showdown.

16351522192_7a17cc039e_o.png

The PS4 comes in a plastic shell inside a box with nothing else other than a manual.  

The One's box is, actually quite nice, it comes in a box that opens like a shell. Revealing the new controller like a pearl in a shell. Its pretty nice. Comes with 2 AA batteries and a manual.

16165053660_88edde9138_o.png

both of theses controllers aren't made of aircraft grade aluminum or gold plated steel. Nope. Just plastic, good plastic at that. The DS4 does have some very small flex where the One has none. But (this is just my opinion) the DS4's buttons do feel better. They're less clicky and feel more... more better to button.

Where as the One has Buttons that are clickly (Excluding the ABXY, Start and select buttons) which just feel odd as well. The DPad doesn't really do any thing special for me. All the clicky buttons are rather loud and feel clciky, which I'm not a big fan of. Clicky buttons belong on mice or small power or option buttons. 

16164811798_b14b69e9e8_o.png

The PS4 controller when you pick it up its very nice, its comfortable and the buttons and thumb sticks are laid out nicely. You can reach all the buttons without any discomfort. The Micro USB port wont get in your way when you're using it on PC too. The textured surface on the bottom (Where you will hold most of the controller from) is rather nice, although it can look a little displeasing and feel a little odd the first time.

the DS4 is wider than the One controller with my index fingers being about an inch apart at the back. you can also wrap your index fingers around the triggers. In some cases your thumbs will touch each other when they're on the thumbtacks, but it has only happened to me once in the year I've had the DS4. 

The Xbox one on the other hand (Get it?) hugs the top bit of your hand more (Just below the fingers) Which makes it easier to hold and generally feels better.

Although it is  a lot smaller, when gripping the controller my index fingers are one centimeter apart at the back where the triggers rest, which can be a cause of concern for some people with bigger hands.

It’s a matte surface, which in it self doesn't make the controller more grippy but its helped by the shape of the controller. Other than that, there really isn't much more to say, it’s a very comfortable controller to use for extended periods of time and may be a bit too small for people with big hands

16326449696_d404c6aae3_o.png

Let's talk about the DS4's sticks first. They're nice and big, they feel nice and have a grippy rubber coating, which when you start to sweat can get a little slick... Which is unfortunate. Also, they're  very close to each other, which means your thumbs have a higher chance of touching, although I wouldn't be too  concerned about that.

Now the One's sticks, They're really nice and small (just how I like em ;) they have nice hollowed out center backed up by a ring of extra grippy ness so your fingers will never slip when you really need to nail that last comer of the track.

16351522422_2f6816be6b_o.png

Triggers, The DS4 has good one's now. they're nice to hold, responsive, and they seem to have no dead zone as well; which can be a problem. accidentally firing your gun or putting on the breaks ever so slightly are both really upsetting things that can happen but you can probably fix those with in game dead zones. 

This is the One's strongest point In my opinion, the triggers have an curved shape, so they hug the inside of your knuckles more, that in itself it nice, but the really awesome thing about them is that they have little rubber stoppers inside of them, so no matter how hard you mash dem triggers, you wont be making too much (if at all) noise and you wont get the plastic on plastic feeling, which is very nice! Kudos to Microsoft! 

16166533107_eb6aef2b52_o.png

Lets change it up a bit, One's first. The buttons are more tactile (ABXY) and clicky (Pretty much everything else). The One's ABXY Buttons wont wear out, ever probably. Since they are incased in a really tick clear shell with the letter being plastic. other then that, the clicky buttons are something I don’t really like, simply because my left shoulder button doesn't click when you release it, its disappointing but the button still works.

While we're talking a bout the shoulder buttons: They're terrible. you can only press them from the side closest to the sides of the controller. This is a deal breaker for me. 

The DS4's buttons on the other hand, are more mushy, so no annoying clicks but do provide some tactaile feedback. They don’t feel cheap, but the X, Square, Circle, and triangle buttons will wear a bit, I can feel the x on the x button.

Not too big of a in my opinion considering you get shoulder buttons are better than the Xbox One's and just generally good. Other than that, nothing too special, although you do get that trackpad thing which is also a button.

16165054140_b06758380c_o.png

Of course the Xbox One controller is going to be easier to setup and use. Just go to major Nelsons website and download the driver and install it. Good job, you're set to go. No support for the One's only special feature which is the vibrating triggers, so I cant really say anything about them other that they wont work on PC Sadly.

But you do get rumble feed back, which is nice. 

With the DS4, it’s a little more complicated then that. You have to find the driver, there are many but I've always used InhexSTER's driver. So I guess its time to list all the REALLY great things he has done with his software to make the DS4 pretty much the  last controller you'll ever need. 

1. Wireless via Bluetooth. Well, you have to use one dongle per controller you have attached, so it can be a draw back. I haven't tested this out myself but the only thing's I've heard about wireless via Bluetooth have been that its great and there isn't too much lag.  

1. You can use the track pad on the PS4 as a normal track pad, which allows you to use the DS4 as a mouse. This is fantastic for navigating menus and using your computer when your gaming from your couch, its not perfect but it works well enough! 

1. You can customize the DS4 light bar to what ever color  you want. The Software has a built in RGB slider color chooser thing, so it will fit your setup no matter what. 

It may not be perfect, so you'll have to start the driver every time you want to play a game with the DS4, but it’s a hell of a lot better than what the Xbox one has to offer with its drivers.

15729979754_5455ed7048_o.png

If you want a controller with the best triggers and thumb sticks for a game genre like racing, then the Xbox One Controller is your best bet, although it comes with some deal breakers for me. Them being terrible shoulder buttons and overly clickly buttons. But it’s the most comfortable controller of the new generation and perhaps the best looking? 

If you want a good well rounded controller to go perfectly with your themed setup and want to be able to game on the couch on your big screen then the DS4 is the one for you, its well rounded and the DPad is really good. With the only downsides being it not having the triggers of the Xbox One controller or the perfect shape of it.

Its still one heck of a controller that will blend perfectly with your setup like a HDD and SSD or Peanut butter and chocolate.

I haven't read it all yet, but your graphic images are awesome!

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Nice layout/post! My personal preference has always been xbox though, it fits in to my hands great and the ps4 controller on the other side just feels....akward. I've had both PS and Xbox before I came to the PC master race and I definitely have a soft spot for Xbox. I keep an xbox controller for the occasional time when I play a casual game and don't feel like going all out on a keyboard+mouse. 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Read it!

Good review, and nice to see no console bashing. I appreciate that!  Which would you feel is better for FPS games?

Nice graphics, by the way.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

The DPad doesn't really do any thing special for me. All the clicky buttons are rather loud and feel clciky, which I'm not a big fan of. Clicky buttons belong on mice or small power or option buttons. 

lbr the DPad on the Xbox One isn't any better then the DPad on the original (PS1) DualShock 

"Rawr XD"

The DS4 is better, I can plug my headphones into it and I can charge it and be environment friendly. 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

lbr the DPad on the Xbox One isn't any better then the DPad on the DualShock 2

I agree.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I quite like the clickyness on the One. I've gotten used to the shoulders so it doesn't bother me anymore. All in all love me my one controller.

I've used the ds4 but it doesn't quite click with me as much as the One did.

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

Good post, how did you make that gif?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Adobe After Effects

The gif is really good. there is some artifacts here and there (not sure if this is just me), but nevertheless, still awesome. 

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

I'm a fan of the dualshock controllers, so I'll certainly pick up a DS4 at some point, especially as I can use the wireless via Bluetooth and the touchpad. Personally I've never been keen on the Xbox controllers as I feel the left joystick is in the wrong position and should be where the D-pad is like on the DS4. But that's my opinion on ergonomics.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Then there's me who loves his wired xbox 360 controller.

The only thing Microsoft should have done to the 360 controller is improved the d-pad and given it a rechargeable batteries and it would be worthy of the next gen consoles.

niicee !

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Nice post, Xbox controllers are way easier to configure to use with a PC, but in terms of which controller is better to use, I like the PS4 controller way more than the Xbox one, it just feels really solid and the button placement is perfect.

KB+M > Xbone controller > PS4 controller.

I've always hated Sony controllers. Sticks are in the wrong place, stupid button scheme, feels terrible in my hand.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

You really like orange eh. I like orange too.

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

• 1 month later...

KB+M > Xbone controller > PS4 controller.

I've always hated Sony controllers. Sticks are in the wrong place, stupid button scheme, feels terrible in my hand.

KB+M not always, racing games with KB+M not a great experience.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Is the XBone controller very different from the 360 controller, in your opinion?

'Make sure to wear a wool sweater and to stand on a carpet while working on PC's' -Linus 2015

Really,interesting review, but y'know I'm just gonna stay quietly in my PS2 console with my beloved sonic heros game!

It Won't Fail Cause of Me.