PLEASE HELP - New PC random crashes

Hey all,

First time poster here, and I have a real tough problem. I've been through several other communities' forums and no one has been able to help me... I love linus tech tips, so I figured I'd give this forum a try.

So I built a new PC. Here are the parts and specs:

NO overclocking. All updated drivers. Fresh Windows 7 Home Premium x64 install.

The issue:

The system is unstable. There are random BSOD crashes and random graphical(?) crashes. I'll include examples below. If there's a video or music playing and it does a 'graphical' crash, the sound can still be heard for a while before it finally crashes. No hardware changes are noticed... the system continues to run without change. The only way to resolve the issue is to hard reboot.

Windows event logs:

I stress tested all the components using Prime95, OCCT, memtest86, Furmark, ect, ect... Everything was fine, the only thing that resulted in strange activity was the PSU test in OCCT. I have the graphs that it created, I'll post them below. What happened during the psu test was at first everything seemed fine, fps was stable at 200, temps were all normal, everything was fine. Then all of a sudden, the fps dropped to 14 or so after about 10 minutes in. No temp changes. I noticed one of the graphs from OCCT is of the voltage and there is a severe voltage drop. I happened to have CPUID HWMonitor running as well, and noticed the GPU utilization jumping from 0% to 100% within seconds. That's the only thing I saw that seemed strange.

I'm not sure if that means I have a GPU issue (because fps dropped) or a PSU issue (because it was a PSU test). When I did the GPU test, it passed with flying colors and no issues, so I don't understand.

There were no physical/technical issues when building the pc... Please help. I have no idea what's happening.

Here's an example of one of the random BSODs:

Here's an example of one of the 'graphical' crashes:

Here are the graphs from that PSU test in a rar folder:

Here's a video of me testing the PSU:

Here's the memory dump file that came with that BSOD (it's huge for some reason):

Here's a link to my tomshardware forum, just in case it help... (I hope this is okay to post):

Seems to happen most frequently when watching a youtube video or twitch.tv stream.

PLEASE help... I only have so much longer before my return policy dates are up if it's a hardware issue... :'(

Hopefully someone here will be much more helpful!

post-186990-0-10286900-1422054826_thumb.

post-186990-0-89644000-1422054860.jpg

post-186990-0-36688800-1422054926_thumb.

post-186990-0-10286900-1422054826_thumb.

post-186990-0-89644000-1422054860.jpg

post-186990-0-36688800-1422054926_thumb.

Prime95 has been known to cause issues before, just DO NOT use prime95, I forget the name of the other recommended program other than Prime95, but I'm sure another reply will get it. Prime95 has been known to over-do things when stressing or overclocking etc. So, who knows. There may just be an issue with on of your parts? Have you made sure everything is properly plugged in and secure?

Downloading programs from CNet is not a good idea, as they will commonly include unwanted, and sometimes dangerous bloatware... The more you know.

Prime95 has been known to cause issues before, just DO NOT use prime95, I forget the name of the other recommended program other than Prime95, but I'm sure another reply will get it. Prime95 has been known to over-do things when stressing or overclocking etc. So, who knows. There may just be an issue with on of your parts? Have you made sure everything is properly plugged in and secure?

It was doing this before I used Prime95. Yeah, I've inspected the hardware several times over to make sure everything's clean, connected, secured, stickers removed, not overheating, ect, ect...

No one here will help either..? :(

Going to take me a while to read through all those logs. Was about to head out too. Let's try isolating components. Take out the GPU and try running off Intel graphics. I would also do a scan on the hard drive. Crystal disk info if it gives any errors and if you can post the graph HDtune makes when benchmarking the hard drive. Also a third option would be to make a Linux liveCD and see if the problem persists across operating systems. 

No one here will help either..? :(

If you do get down to the third option of using a Linux LiveCD I would recommend Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64 bit as it is extremely similar to windows. You can burn it to a DVD or use a USB. Here is the instructions for setting that up. 

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

When you boot from the USB stick it should give you the option of trying the OS out without installing. Unlike Windows most of your installs will be managed by the software center so use it download stuff like flash.

The graphs for the 12v rail stress test are blank. Modern processors have a feature where there power usage is adjusted dynamically based on the frequency and workload. So having a that reading will be helpful.

The graphs for the 12v rail stress test are blank. Modern processors have a feature where there power usage is adjusted dynamically based on the frequency and workload. So having a that reading will be helpful.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read through things. I really appreciate it. First of all, remember I don't have an optical drive! Also, I've noticed that HWmonitor and OCCT don't show my +12V rail... only my -12V rail. I'm currently running a system stability stress test with AIDA64 to show the +12V rail. Not sure if that will help. I've also noted there seems to be a lot of errors in the windows event log. Once the stress test is done (I'll give it an hour) I'll try booting into the intel graphics and seeing if that makes any difference. 

Thanks so much for taking the time to read through things. I really appreciate it. First of all, remember I don't have an optical drive! Also, I've noticed that HWmonitor and OCCT don't show my +12V rail... only my -12V rail. I'm currently running a system stability stress test with AIDA64 to show the +12V rail. Not sure if that will help. I've also noted there seems to be a lot of errors in the windows event log. Once the stress test is done (I'll give it an hour) I'll try booting into the intel graphics and seeing if that makes any difference. 

For event viewer the critical and error sections are the major ones. Event ID 41 is just that the system didn't shut down correctly. You can duplicate the error by holding the power switch to preform a hard restart and it will appear next power on. It also appears after a blue screen shut down or a freeze so. 6008 is that the event was unexpected. Event ID 3 is a little bit interesting but kind of vague on its own.  

Before you boot into Intel graphics download bluescreen viewer and see what applications show up in the dump file. I'm on a chromebook at the moment so can't do much with them. There might be a chance this is software related. 

Before you boot into Intel graphics download bluescreen viewer and see what applications show up in the dump file. I'm on a chromebook at the moment so can't do much with them. There might be a chance this is software related. 

I tried bluescreenviewer already but A) I have no idea how to use it and B) from that I did see and understand it doesn't make any sense to me.

Edit: I attached my +12V rail test run from AIDA64 for an hour.

post-186990-0-32705900-1422074068_thumb.

I tried bluescreenviewer already but A) I have no idea how to use it and B) from that I did see and understand it doesn't make any sense to me.

The good news is the +12v rail is where it should be. The bad news is AIDA64 is mostly for CPU and RAM benchmarking. 12v rail is what powers the GPU. Setting up bluescreen view now to take a look at the dump files.

got the right BIOS to run that processor properly? ( F5 )

Also I would check into the BIOS. See what version it is. 

-snip-

Got some good news. This probably isn't hardware related. Event ID 3 was an application hung, and the dump is similar

post-165866-0-35394400-1422075793_thumb.

post-165866-0-35394400-1422075793_thumb.

Also I would check into the BIOS. See what version it is. 

I have the most updated bios for this motherboard... F7 for my revision (1.1)

Got some good news. This probably isn't hardware related. Event ID 3 was an application hung, and the dump is similar

attachicon.gifwhocrashed.png

This is AWESOME news. Now where do we go from from here???? And how can I ever repay you if this gets fixed???

I've always thought it is strange... One day I can stream tomb raider and alien isolation in 720p 60fps (pretty heavy load on my pc) for over 7 hours straight... no hiccups. Then I'll be surfing youtube and "blip" my screen goes to all right lines or a light light blank blue screen. 

Edit: I should add that the other bsod I had was a "BAD_POOL_HEADER" but I wasn't quick enough to grab the dump file or the rest of the info (I think I was too frustrated to pay attention when it happened).

I have the most updated bios for this motherboard... F7 for my revision (1.1)

This is AWESOME news. Now where do we go from from here???? And how can I ever repay you if this gets fixed???

I've always thought it is strange... One day I can stream tomb raider and alien isolation in 720p 60fps (pretty heavy load on my pc) for over 7 hours straight... no hiccups. Then I'll be surfing youtube and "blip" my screen goes to all right lines or a light light blank blue screen. 

Edit: I should add that the other bsod I had was a "BAD_POOL_HEADER" but I wasn't quick enough to grab the dump file or the rest of the info (I think I was too frustrated to pay attention when it happened).

Bad_Pool_header looks registry related. I would try out the free version of system mechanic to fix that, it should also catch Windows data conflicts

http://www.iolo.com/downloads/download-system-mechanic/ (small middle text)

I'd also try doing a system recovery to before the date the issues started happening. How long are the crashes usually spaced apart or can you force a crash when you do a particular thing (just to get a time frame of when we might know it is working)?

Bad_Pool_header looks registry related. I would try out the free version of system mechanic to fix that, it should also catch Windows data conflicts

http://www.iolo.com/downloads/download-system-mechanic/ (small middle text)

I'd also try doing a system recovery to before the date the issues started happening. How long are the crashes usually spaced apart or can you force a crash when you do a particular thing (just to get a time frame of when we might know it is working)?

To be honest, I went a few days without a crash at all. Today I had 3 of them while watching a twitch stream.... that's what prompted me to seek out linus tech tips. I haven't had a bsod for since that one, though, just the 'graphical' crashes. 

Why would a fresh install of windows have registry errors or windows data conflicts? Could CCleaner affect that, I use CCleaner. But the crashes have happened before I used ccleaner before as well.

To be honest, I went a few days without a crash at all. Today I had 3 of them while watching a twitch stream.... that's what prompted me to seek out linus tech tips. I haven't had a bsod for since that one, though, just the 'graphical' crashes. 

Why would a fresh install of windows have registry errors or windows data conflicts? Could CCleaner affect that, I use CCleaner. But the crashes have happened before I used ccleaner before as well.

Has it been crashing since it was built? Because a system recover won't be able fix that. CCleaner is a decent tool, I find System Mechanic to be better.

Has it been crashing since it was built? Because a system recover won't be able fix that. CCleaner is a decent tool, I find System Mechanic to be better.

Yeah, I only built it like 2 weeks ago. All parts are brand new. It's a brand new pc, all new parts, with a fresh install of windows. I've already tried reformatting several times. I've been in and out of the case to make sure everything;s clean and connected properly.

Yeah, I only built it like 2 weeks ago. All parts are brand new. It's a brand new pc, all new parts, with a fresh install of windows. I've already tried reformatting several times. I've been in and out of the case to make sure everything;s clean and connected properly.

Try out system mechanic anyways as it tends to find more than ccleaner. Then I would take a look into setting this up. It should catch it on next blue screen.

http://www.speedguide.net/faq/how-to-determine-which-driver-causes-windows-to-222

*Be sure to read all of that link in case you get caught unable to boot.

I don't remember seeing the F7 BIOS on the site and can't connect to it today. Wonder if what was in 5 was also carried over to 7?  doesn't always happen. Perhaps you should have tried 5 first?

run 1stick of ram.

disconnect all HD's except boot drive.

ahci was enabled in BIOS  if using ssd before format? and latest firmware was installed for it?

I don't remember seeing the F7 BIOS on the site and can't connect to it today. Wonder if what was in 5 was also carried over to 7?  doesn't always happen. Perhaps you should have tried 5 first?

run 1stick of ram.

disconnect all HD's except boot drive.

ahci was enabled in BIOS  if using ssd before format? and latest firmware was installed for it?

Your comments aren't making much sense here. The problem is already being handled by someone else, and asking him to do a bunch of things like take out certain parts, and then not explaining what to do after he's done that, probably won't help him either. I'm sure they're quite close, and your whole comment is quite confusing, and hard to follow, even given it's short length.

I've used CCleaner for a long time, and never experienced anything. If you're using CCleaner to wipe your drives/format them, then that may be the heart of your issue, or if you're just formatting it using windows itself, formatting the drive by using windows on another machine or whatever. If you wanted to fully wipe a drive then you should use DBan instead. And then try an install of windows after that. 

But don't refer to this until all the other roads are explored with help from tmlhalo. I'm not nearly close to being as familiar with BSOD messages etc as he is. So if you eventually come to the option of doing another wipe and install, then just refer back to this comment.

Downloading programs from CNet is not a good idea, as they will commonly include unwanted, and sometimes dangerous bloatware... The more you know.