My PSU blew up so I need help picking a new one

Mackie
Go to solution Solved by Archangel1994,

Go with the EVGA 500B instead. Slightly higher quality, better warranty service and has 2x 6+2 PCIe connectors

Plugged PC into faulty socket, psu died and smelled bad so I need a new one.

My old one was a super flower 450w and im looking to buy a corsair cx500. I have some questions though

My GPU needs 2 6pin PCI connectors to power it, which this PSU has however, I if I want to upgrade to a gtx970 in the future which has 2 8pin connectors, can I use this power supply with adapters?

How could you kill it from plugging it into a faulty socket?

Take a look at the evga 500b too. And use pcpartpicker for research about the connectors it has

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Go with the EVGA 500B instead. Slightly higher quality, better warranty service and has 2x 6+2 PCIe connectors

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Looks like one if the protection mechanisms deployed. Superflower is actually pretty ggod, didn't expect that.

What 970 has 2 8 pins? Thats stupid. Normally they have q 8 pin and 1 six pin or smaller.

Anyways. CX500M is good.

who cares...

I personally have the CX750m, is really nice. No problems. I would suggest any of the "CX___M" PSU's, my only problem is that it is daisychained SATA power so I had to buy some extenders because I could not get it to all my drives. 

Long time Linus fan with too many different forums to keep track of LTT's. 

Should probably tackle the bad sockets in your house first lol.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

Looks like one if the protection mechanisms deployed. Superflower is actually pretty ggod, didn't expect that.

What 970 has 2 8 pins? Thats stupid. Normally they have q 8 pin and 1 six pin or smaller.

Anyways. CX500M is good.

Some have two eight pins to provide more power for overclocking. Superflower makes respectable power supply units.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Yeah the socket was sparking sometimes when I plugged in the extension cable for my PSU. I mean I figure thats what it was. Some sort of power surge or something.

I took the whole pc apart, mobo, gpu, ram, heatsink and all and there was no sign of any damage on those. The PSU did smell of smoke 

Yeah the socket was sparking sometimes when I plugged in the extension cable for my PSU. I mean I figure thats what it was. Some sort of power surge or something.

I took the whole pc apart, mobo, gpu, ram, heatsink and all and there was no sign of any damage on those. The PSU did smell of smoke 

What kind of sparking? Electrical outlets can spark when you plug something into them.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Blue sparks aboout 1cm long outside the socket. On some occasions. I dont know why I was so stupid to continually pug my system into that outlet T_T 

Feel its worth mentioning before this there were no problems running it from an outlet in another room for about 8 months

Blue sparks aboout 1cm long outside the socket. On some occasions. I dont know why I was so stupid to continually pug my system into that outlet T_T 

Feel its worth mentioning before this there were no problems running it from an outlet in another room for about 8 months

Well that was probably the reason why it died. I had the same and i killed also my previous psu exacly the same way. So tip for everyone, if it sparks blue, don't use it! :)

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Evga Ordered :D 

Thanks LTT forum people :D

You should have gone for another Superflower.

Some have two eight pins to provide more power for overclocking. Superflower makes respectable power supply units.

I think you meant Excellent ? Superflower are up there with the likes of Seasonic.

You should have gone for another Superflower.

Budgets too tight

Thread closed