G-Sync/FreeSync & Why I'm Not Buying Either

this thread is stupid

nvidia saw the potential in variable refresh rate - and went to create a FULL solution.

AMD was literally sitting on verge of it's tech completely CLUELESS of it's potential

nvidia has ALWAYS been a company about offering a FULL, ease-of-use solution for it's consumers. GeForce Experience driver update reminders, GFE recommended settigns (because, NEWS FLASH, there are lots of PC gamers out there that don't care to waste time tweaking settings, believe it or not), shadowplay and easy twitch streaming, GPU Boost 2.0, no extreme over-volting in FAVOR of reliability for consumers, removing features/configs because they don't always work (remember when you used to be able to SLi cards with different vram amounts? nvidia removed it because it wasn't 100% reliable - they would rather remove possible frustration from more consumers than they would offer the ability to the select few) 

nvidia wants consumers to know that if it's their product or tech, that it will work. The only way to do G-sync to a level acceptable by their standards, was by doing the module themselves. You don't see G-Sync modules slapped in every monitor out there do you? NO - because nvidia is tuning EVERY single panel that it goes in themselves. They are committed to providing FULL solutions that carry their name.

http://overlordforum.com/topic/603-nvidia-g-sync/page-5

I love how NOBODY remembers that AMD couldn't admit that nvidia came up with a good idea and implemented it before them

what's that? you think that's bullsh--??

go read here:

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/174371-amd-claims-it-can-offer-the-benefits-of-nvidias-g-sync-with-a-free-driver-update-nvidia-rebuts-fight

and another:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7641/amd-demonstrates-freesync-free-gsync-alternative-at-ces-2014

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

BUT THAT'S NOT THE STORY AMD WANTS YOU TO REMEMBER. THEY WANT YOU TO REMEMBER THE NAME FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE - SYNC.

They want you to think of Free-Sync as the white knight savior to the world. They want you to constantly think that what nvidia did was wrong.

Nvidia is pushing graphics tech beyond just graphics cards yet again. Gamestream, DSR, g-sync.....and they are committed to the technologies they research and develop. They want it to work fully - and they did. They committed to it. But no - you all have to buy into AMD's marketing. That seeing a flaw in current display technology, recognizing the problem, recognizing a solution, and fully committing to provide a FULL solution - yes, what a GOD AWFUL thing to do for a company........BECAUSE THEY WANT TO CHARGE FOR THEIR WORK? OH GOD THE HORROR!

NVIDIA FANBOY ALERT

How much are you being paid to to NV's PR work whilst they divide the market and fuck over consumers? Must be a good chunk of change for a wall of text like that!

xD

Theres a whole lot of QQ from OP.

Just go to Burger King. You can have it your way there.

You're a troll, nothing more. Go away.

If freesync is just as good as gsync and is cheaper  = it wins. SIMPLE.

Natural selection for technologies will take care of the rest.

And im not gaming with stutter and tearing to help some whiners prove a meaningless point to nobody listening anyway.

If freesync is just as good as gsync and is cheaper  = it wins. SIMPLE.

Natural selection for technologies will take care of the rest.

And im not gaming with stutter and tearing to help some whiners prove a meaningless point to nobody listening anyway.

So, consumer advocacy is a whiny, meaningless, point, huh? You're trolling, right?!

NVIDIA FANBOY ALERT

How much are you being paid to to NV's PR work whilst they divide the market and fuck over consumers? Must be a good chunk of change for a wall of text like that!

xD

let's see....my "fanboy" post was well documented with evidence to support claims

yours is supported by.........??????

right.........

im just glad they came out with the technology. its a game changer! 

let's see....my "fanboy" post was well documented with evidence to support claims

yours is supported by.........??????

right.........

All your post does is stroke Nvidia's already over inflated ego, not to mention defending the shifty shit they have pulled on us. How far is the wool pulled over your eyes, man?

The technology locks consumers into one brand of GPU and that is bullshit, plain and simple. Choice is good for the marketplace and this tech limits choice which is only good for AMD and NV.

I don't care if NV implemented it first or if AMD acted like white knights, walled gardens are bad, okay? (Think console gaming.)

Companies earning money is how they stay in business and I understand that, but I won't give them my money for products that lock me into a certain ecosystem.

How is that so hard to understand?

So, consumer advocacy is a whiny, meaningless, point, huh? You're trolling, right?!

The fuck are you on about again?  Are YOU trolling?

All your post does is stroke Nvidia's already over inflated ego, not to mention defending the shifty shit they have pulled on us. How far is the wool pulled over your eyes, man?

The technology locks consumers into one brand of GPU and that is bullshit, plain and simple. Choice is good for the marketplace and this tech limits choice which is only good for AMD and NV.

I don't care if NV implemented it first or if AMD acted like white knights, walled gardens are bad, okay? (Think console gaming.)

Companies earning money is how they stay in business and I understand that, but I won't give them my money for products that lock me into a certain ecosystem.

How is that so hard to understand?

Let's see my post indicated that:

1. nvidia handles all G-sync modules themselves

2. then the next part shows the real story that AMD never realized or intended for Adaptive-Sync to be a competing technology in the first place, with quotes from AMD's own engineers admitting it. Which is now misleading and swiped under the rug because AMD has now spun the story as a technology that was built to stop G-sync.

both of those are facts.....yet somehow you interpreted that as "wool over my eyes".....

If you're going to make an argument, back it up with facts. Did you learn anything in school? Have you never had to write a composed debate paper? With a concise argument with supporting points, sources, and facts? Otherwise you're just another angry forum troll. 

Yes,

because it's nvidia's responsibility to make sure everything they design works on other hardware that they don't own and have no responsibility for

Yes, because I'm sure AMD would just hand out full GPU architecture design details of their GPU's. "Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy, we have this feature for monitors we're working on..........so we - the competing company - want to see the full design behind your competing GPU product like your own paid employees do."

I would love to see you run a business..........

The fuck are you on about again?  Are YOU trolling?

That deflection tho...

Let's see my post indicated that:

1. nvidia handles all G-sync modules themselves

2. then the next part shows the real story that AMD never realized or intended for Adaptive-Sync to be a competing technology in the first place, with quotes from AMD's own engineers admitting it. Which is now misleading and swiped under the rug because AMD has now spun the story as a technology that was built to stop G-sync.

both of those are facts.....yet somehow you interpreted that as "wool over my eyes".....

If you're going to make an argument, back it up with facts. Did you learn anything in school? Have you never had to write a composed debate paper? With a concise argument with supporting points, sources, and facts? Otherwise you're just another angry forum troll. 

Yes,

because it's nvidia's responsibility to make sure everything they design works on other hardware that they don't own and have no responsibility for

Yes, because I'm sure AMD would just hand out full GPU architecture design details of their GPU's. "Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy, we have this feature for monitors we're working on..........so we - the competing company - want to see the full design behind your competing GPU product like your own paid employees do."

I would love to see you run a business..........

Could you possibly strawman my original argument any harder?

I saw another thread on this and was surprised to see this is not the only proprietary thing Nvidia has done.  Apparently at one time in order to have SLI the board was required to have an Nvidia chipset.  G-sync is just their new thing.  They own the technology and they will charge for it.

CPU i7 4790 | Motherboard  ASUS Z97 Maximus Hero VII | RAM 16 GB Trident X @ 2400 Mhz | GPU Titan X | Case NZXT Phantom 530 | Storage Samsung EVO 840 1 TB SSD, 2 Seagate 150 GB HDD, 1 External 3 GB Seagate HDD | PSU Corsair HX 1050 | Cooling Zalman Copper 2 ball | Keyboard  Logitech G710+ | Mouse Logitech G502 | Sound: Creative Z | Operating System  Windows 10

Apparently at one time in order to have SLI the board was required to have an Nvidia chipset.

As kickass as their GPU's are, Nvidia is shady. Its sad, really.

I hear intels integrated graphics is getting pretty OK...

Currently spending money on parts

I hear intels integrated graphics is getting pretty OK...

Well, ain't you funny?

Well, ain't you funny?

I kind of think so :)

In all seriousness, I prefer Nvidia. I feel like they have a better all around product, and better software to come with it. Not to mention the SHIELD product line

Currently spending money on parts

I kind of think so :)

In all seriousness, I prefer Nvidia. I feel like they have a better all around product, and better software to come with it. Not to mention the SHIELD product line

As do I (SLI works soo much better than crossfire), but I just don't like these kinda schemes companies use to lock consumers into their particular ecosystem.

G-Sync vs FreeSync is just another choice we have to make, if we want ether.

Its just like most other stuff these days, each brand have there own thing (even if its more or less the same thing).

But this isn't like PhysX vs. Mantle which are just added bonuses for going with a particular brand... this will lock consumers to a certain brand of GPU (if they want to make the most of their variable refresh rate display that is) and punish them for switching teams.

But this isn't like PhysX vs. Mantle which are just added bonuses for going with a particular brand... this will lock consumers to a certain brand of GPU (if they want to make the most of their variable refresh rate display that is) and punish them for switching teams.

You choice your "side" when you start picking your pc.

I guess a simular choice is which consol to get.

The only thing new with this, is that you pick monitor based on your side as well.

I saw another thread on this and was surprised to see this is not the only proprietary thing Nvidia has done.  Apparently at one time in order to have SLI the board was required to have an Nvidia chipset.  G-sync is just their new thing.  They own the technology and they will charge for it.

Nvidia has a tendency to do this, and AMD isn't inculpable either.  Nvidia tends to be seen as a slimy company by those who can't reason why Nvidia would go proprietary on stuff.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Hopefully FreeSync delivers on its performance and price promises. Then we might be able to avoid having needless compatability problems with monitors and video cards.

The way things are looking ATM I reckon in a couple of years just about every mid-to-high end "gaming" monitor will have freesync out of the box. I'm glad that Nvidia pushed this and I doubt we'd even be talking about it if they didn't. Though I reckon in the long run freesync will win out because of ubiquity and NVidia will have no choice but to support it. If you're still unsure then there is at least one monitor confirmed so far to support both and I doubt that it'll be the last. Hedge your bets.

It's like when Nvidia pushed 3D.... except this time it's actually something people should care about

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

You choice your "side" when you start picking your pc.

I guess a simular choice is which consol to get.

The only thing new with this, is that you pick monitor based on your side as well.

Additional features that don't cost extra are not the same as a $400+ monitor that will only work with a GPU from a specific vendor.

IMO if you could get a FreeSync monitor for a small/no premium over one that doesn't have it, you'd be stupid not to. Even if you have an nvidia card you're losing nothing by having it when they inevitably support it. Gsync on the other hand has disadvantages (only DisplayPort input and way more expensive).

I don't see the issue with wanting to maintain or gain new consumers to your platform. I am sure if anyone here owned a company they would do the same.

There is little money if you're going to do an open/cross-compatible feature such as G-Sync and FreeSync. It's the hard truth, but that's how business works. 

Workstation i7-3930k | GTX 980 SLI | 2 x P2715Q (2160p) | AX1200i | H100i

Server E3-1245v3 | 24GB RAM | Be Quiet! 600W PSU | Be Quiet! Rock Pro 3

IMO if you could get a FreeSync monitor for a small/no premium over one that doesn't have it, you'd be stupid not to. Even if you have an nvidia card you're losing nothing by having it when they inevitably support it. Gsync on the other hand has disadvantages (only DisplayPort input and way more expensive).

FreeSync only works with displayport as well...

I don't see the issue with wanting to maintain or gain new consumers to your platform. I am sure if anyone here owned a company they would do the same.

There is little money if you're going to do an open/cross-compatible feature such as G-Sync and FreeSync. It's the hard truth, but that's how business works. 

It's not how business works and it is indeed an issue. Walled garden ecosystems are bad for the consumer, period.