Complicated idea for android studio and java

I am creating an app for school in my area, and i have never created an app before, but I know java.  Basically, you will open the app, and will be prompted to select a school, and then will be prompted to log in.  Then again be prompted to selected from a list of classes.  How do i set that up in android studio?

Thanks

I can help with programming and hardware.

<Script>alert("This website is vulnerable to XSS");</Script>

Not to sound harsh but just knowing Java isn't going to cut it. My advice to you is to start small on a small app.

What you are describing would require a back end database set-up on a server and would require that you have access to each one of the school's login systems. The bare minimum you would need to know is TCP/UDP connections for a direct connection functionality or you would need to perform a set of query's using Ajax or PHP on the server side to get the information that you are requesting. Plus this requires in depth knowledge of server side and client side scripting with a fundamental basis of encryption, database normalization and input sanitation.

Put simply, this is not something you can even attempt on your own unless you have the required skills and the proper authorization to access the schools systems ( legal barriers and red tape).

If this is just a school project, and not a job where you're actually dealing with real schools, then it's simple (just time consuming). You can store everything locally with an SQLite database that you either prefill with information or have the app be able to add the information. Then it's just a matter of building the interfaces and doing the required functionality (ie: learning at least basic Android development).

If you are actually doing this as a job for a real school then there's a lot more to it. First thing you'll need to do is figure out how to integrate an app with your schools system. You need to be able to query their database (directly or indirectly; the latter of which is more secure) to validate logins, get the relevant student and class information, etc. This will likely mean working with someone from the school so they can get you up and running here. So start there and start building that part of your app. Without that, it's not worth continuing. Hopefully you wont need to develop that part yourself.

You can also start developing your interfaces if you have the time. Find a tutorial (Android docs, Treehouse, lynda.com, etc) and follow it.

You have to do your research and planning prior to writing, thngs like how to login in the first place. Exactly what madknight3 said. You may very likely find that you can't do that or hit another kind of blocker and the whole idea will fail. Better find that out at the beggining than in the middle of writing, this will save you lots of time. The best approach to writing software does not start at actual writing, but 1) research and 2) planning ;)