According to a study, smarter people use iPhones

Bloodyvalley

Correlation =/= causation

Plus when you think about it a high percentage of college students use Macs and other Apple products, it only makes logical sense to buy into the whole ecosystem.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

this is so, so stupid on so many levels...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Yeah smarter people = better off economically = more likely to buy luxury items. Not a big stretch if you ask me

-------

Current Rig

-------

I think a more interesting study would be how easily uni/college students are influenced by their surroundings, in regards to purchasing of goods.

So many people at my uni use macs & iphones but its just due to trends. Often the more technically literate people you run in to use other brands of laptops but might use iphones, you can rarely guess just by their aptitude. Regardless, there are a lot of apple products among uni students whatever the reason may be.

Edit:

Just took a look at the original study, this is merely a case of sensationalist reporting. The study itself makes no claims of the sort, it merely observers the iphone usage rates in different states. It's only CNN that makes the silly link between intelligence and iphone usage.

Asus X99-Deluxe  |  i7 5820k  |  16GB DDR4  |  MSI GTX 980 Ti 6G  |  Samsung 850 Evo + 840 Evo 500GB  |  NZXT H440

Linus prefers iPhone.

Luke prefers Android.

Just stating facts, here....

Yea cus we all know they are geniuses. 

System: Thinkpad T460

This does make some sense. I made an informed and educated decision on buying an iPhone. I wanted something that was fast, something reliable, something that would get consistent support, something that is 100% usable with one hand, and something that was built well. The 5s satisfied all those requirements at the time of purchase and after about 8 months of ownership and about 15 months since release, it's still one of the best phones available. 

I have Android devices. Does that mean an automatic fail in my entrance exam?

Click here to claim your free Linus plushie.

Alternative Interpretation: College graduates tend to have specialized skills. Skills probably unrelated to Java (or whatever mobile applications are made with) or programming in general. They also tend to be wealthy (considering they paid through college, one way or another). They also probably don't have the free time to invest in learning how their phone works. Cue the iPhone.

Also, I'd like to request that whoever wrote this article take Statistics again. Correlation =/= Causation. Even people that dropped out of the class in the first 2 weeks were able to learn that.

EDIT: Here's a link to "Spurious Correlations", just for kicks: http://tylervigen.com/

I mean this doesn't really mean anything imo, other than that people use iPhones. Obviously there's evidence that smart people buy iPhones, but "dumb" people do too. Phone sale percentages are probably pretty close together at most intelligence levels.

you should put quotation mark on smart to

This does make some sense. I made an informed and educated decision on buying an iPhone. I wanted something that was fast, something reliable, something that would get consistent support, something that is 100% usable with one hand, and something that was built well. The 5s satisfied all those requirements at the time of purchase and after about 8 months of ownership and about 15 months since release, it's still one of the best phones available. 

no this studies does not make any sense people that buy iphone with a reason behind the choice are less than 5% of people that actually buy iphone, so being smart does not have nothing to do with having a iphone 

Luke's the smarter one. 

Luke is cheap. That's why he likes android. He had a galaxy s3 until the s5 came out or at least well after the s4 was considered old. I wouldn't say smarter people use iphones in general, but what I would say is that android is for sure used more by poorer people (apple products are more expensive) and poorer people are generally of lower intellect (on average). 

I already know I'm going to catch shit for this post so let me go ahead and say that I don't care. I'm poor too so it isn't me just being an asshole. 

no this studies does not make any sense people that buy iphone with a reason behind the choice are less than 5% of people that actually buy iphone, so being smart does not have nothing to do with having a iphone 

This. A lot of people buy iphones just to say they have an iphone. I don't get it. I've had multiple versions of both and just prefer apple but android has some good phones too. 

What an utterly useless correlation.

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

Judging by the replies on this thread, maybe I should do a study on it haha.

If you do I must warn you.  Researching social trends and social sciences is very difficult, it takes a lot of work to ensure your research is accurate and not influenced by unqualified factors.  Then once you have the data you have to suffer half the population dismissing all your hard work outright because the results are "inconvenient".

There are some topics that researchers just won't investigate because the only methodology that would work is unethical and the results would likely split the community into two hate groups.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

People who can afford the iPhone are typically smarter.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Wealth being the operative correlation here - It does show that Iphones are still a status symbol though

Ok, when a new iPhone comes out, people will wait for days outside in snow to get the "latest and greatest". How the hell does using an iPhone make you smarter?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Ok, when a new iPhone comes out, people will wait for days outside in snow to get the "latest and greatest". How the hell does using an iPhone make you smarter?

Those are fanboy sheep. I've never waited in line and I've never had a problem getting one on launch day. I live in a large city though, but still, if you wait outside in the snow for a cell phone, you're pretty low on my list. 

BIG SURPRISE!

smarter people usually get higher fees and are therefore more likely able to afford an ipphone without caring about the costs too much

some statistics are really self-explanatory

Edit: the study says these people ARE smarter not that youll GET smarter if you use one. reading something right can be hard ;D

Main Rig:

-
CPU: i7-2600k @4.8 GHz - CPU cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD: Western Digital Green 1tb - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi r2 -

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Wisdom: You don't live longer if you're always in a hurry