Getting a new mechanical keyboard

I'm looking to buy a new keyboard because my current on is going to die soon (it feels like that and also its probably more than 10 years old). My current keyboard is a membrane one but I would like to try a mechanical one now. I play a lot of games that require precise and fast key presses so I need a keyboard that can keep up with that (but at the same time I've been using this shitty keyboard for a LONG time so I guess anything will do). I'm not really looking for back lighting, macros or things like that (although it would be nice), just a plain mechanical keyboard that is not gonna cost me a lot of money.  What do you guys reccomend? 

@1swine1

I am also searching for my first mechanical keyboard, and there are some good deals going on right now through NCIXUS.com.  Keep in mind NCIXs shipping rates for products under $100, they like to charge an additional $12, which is really high.

I think you need to first learn about the different switch types and which one you want, as well as try them in person.  There is no substitute for actually using a keyboard.  Reading about it is all fine and dandy, but this is a real hands on purchase.  Based on what you say you want, it sounds like you want some Red switches, which are incredibly common.  This is just my perception, and you should do your own research and test out the different ones you want to figure out your personal touch.

Azio MGK1 - $60-$80  This one is really inexpensive, right now it is listed at $100, but when you add it to your cart, it shows up as only $60, but it is currently on back order.  It uses blue switches with white backlight.

Tesoro Lobera Supreme RGB Backlighting - $80 Blue or Brown switches.  Comes with a lot of extra features, and is on sale from its normal $140 price tag.  This one is looking really appealing right now.

Ducky Shine Zero Zone - $105 *free shipping*  This is Ducky, it is one of the more popular brands.

I'm personally deciding between these 3 right now, you might want to look elsewhere for red switches, but this is a good starting off point.  Maybe check out the Thermaltake Poseidon Z series.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

it will really depend on what keyswitch u want. once you find what switch u want the choice becomes much easier. i myself would recommend mx browns because they have a tactile feedback but are no too loud. if u don't want the browns then get a mx red keyboard. if u want the brown but u want that beautiful clicky noise i would go for mx blues.

i myself use a ducky shine 4... i just upgraded about a month ago and i must admit the build quality is amazing

it will really depend on what keyswitch u want. once you find what switch u want the choice becomes much easier. i myself would recommend mx browns because they have a tactile feedback but are no too loud. if u don't want the browns then get a mx red keyboard. if u want the brown but u want that beautiful clicky noise i would go for mx blues.

i myself use a ducky shine 4... i just upgraded about a month ago and i must admit the build quality is amazing

I also like Ducky, and they tend to get good reviews, but just 1 year warranty for such an expensive keyboard turns me off.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I also like Ducky, and they tend to get good reviews, but just 1 year warranty for such an expensive keyboard turns me off.

The 1 year warrenty is probably because of the LEDs, the keyboard itself won't break in that time, especially a Ducky.

I'm looking to buy a new keyboard because my current on is going to die soon (it feels like that and also its probably more than 10 years old). My current keyboard is a membrane one but I would like to try a mechanical one now. I play a lot of games that require precise and fast key presses so I need a keyboard that can keep up with that (but at the same time I've been using this shitty keyboard for a LONG time so I guess anything will do). I'm not really looking for back lighting, macros or things like that (although it would be nice), just a plain mechanical keyboard that is not gonna cost me a lot of money.  What do you guys reccomend? 

What keyswitch do you want? Check the sig in my thread for that.

What size keyboard do you want? Tenkeyless? Full size? Macros?

These things will help choosing your keyboard for you a lot.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Thanks for the replies, I will go to a local electronics store and try the different key switches.

Thanks for the replies, I will go to a local electronics store and try the different key switches.

They'll likely only have blues/Kailhs, browns and reds. You probably won't get the full switch testing experience sadly. You might want to try this

http://www.cmstore.eu/cm-storm/keyboards/mechanical-key-switch-tester/

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||