DSLR Camera Suggestions

Go to solution Solved by Captain_Slow,

generally 3rd party makers like sigma/tamron/samyang etc produce their lenses in canon/nikon/sony etc fit very rarely do they only make a canon or only make a nikon lens

Also OP

Dont forget Sonys SLT (dslr style) cameras, they are pretty awesome these days

generally 3rd party makers like sigma/tamron/samyang etc produce their lenses in canon/nikon/sony etc fit very rarely do they only make a canon or only make a nikon lens

Also OP

a lot of the times that's quite untrue, and even if they make them for both nikon always get released later

And I also know you suggested the D3100, but do you think it would be in my best interest to invest in the D3200? I wasn't noticing a huge price difference, and the D3200 won the comparison against the D3100. I know there isn't a huge difference, but I want to get a nice entry level camera. I am definitely leaning more towards Nikon than Canon.

I actually meant D3200, that was a typo, my bad.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I actually meant D3200, that was a typo, my bad.

Ohhh! That's quite alright; I was just making sure what your opinion was! What website would you suggest would have the best deals for the D3200? Or store? I was currently looking at eBay and Amazon.

I just sold my t3i for $340 Canadian lol.

It was a good camera although I only put 5000 shutters on it. 

I'm now using a Nikon D7100

Canon and Nikon doesn't differentiate that much if you are using just the kit lens, but the basic difference will be that Canon gives you a greater selection of Lens/Flash, but they tend to have worse sensors than Nikons. At the amateur level, I'd recommend Nikon since for most of the range of lens they will give you a sharper image, but if you are looking to invest lots of $$ on glass (lens) then Canon will probably be the better option. Remember, good picture is a combination of good camera and lens, and your photography skills of course. 

Also Sony is a great choice for hobbyists as well, they have great cameras that are much much more portable and offer a great range of lens, the A5000 with the kit lens sells for under $400 all day long, you get similar quality as the D3200/T3i/T4i, and you get a flip screen and Wifi. You will lose the viewfinder thou, but small sacrifice. 

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

SNIP

Im sorry James May but that post is not at all accurate

canon have fewer lenses (142) than Nikon (168) and also have fewer flashes (3) than nikon (5) in their line ups. And the Canon lenses are actually sharper on the DxoMark Acuity index

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Buying a new camera is something you have to shop around for and actually get a feel for in store, there are thousands of threads on the internet debating Canon vs.Nikon, but once you have used them both they really are pretty similar. Sure there are differences in between the various manufacturers, with Canon falling behind in sensor architecture but having the most advanced on sensor focusing technology. 

To be honest, the best way to sway between either of the two major manufacturers is by going into a store with as little prejudice as possible, and feeling the cameras. Even if you're buying an older camera from one of the manufacturers, the actual ergonomics of the cameras has changed very little in the past 10 years. See how they fit your hands, see how you like their menu structure and how the buttons are placed for what feels comfortable for you, as well as considering whether you have access to any of the systems' lenses. In terms of growing with your camera and learning its features, all the manufacturers will have more user friendly modes as well as the traditional manual modes. 

Furthering that, it's important to know that the best camera is the one you have with you, if you buy a camera and it's too bulky and you aren't willing to carry it with you everywhere you go, you won't be able to learn nor will you be able to get the images that you are after. Saying this maybe even consider some of the mirrorless cameras by Sony, Olympus and Panasonic. These give you the same image quality as a DSLR in Sony's case, and slightly lower image quality in the case of the other two, however they are significantly smaller than the traditional SLR form factor, because they have forgone the mirror and optical viewfinder. Some of them have an electronic viewfinder too, and in the past few years technology has improved massively in that regard - causing these to be almost as good if not even better than a traditional viewfinder. Or if a viewfinder is not required at all, there are a lot of options that are even smaller without needing a viewfinder at all, an example being the older sony NEX-3 and NEX-5 or the newer A5000. These could easily be carried in a bag or a large jacket pocket and be with you wherever you go. 

tl;dr image quality is similar between most interchangeable lens cameras and is not as much of a factor as actual ergonomics and how you feel about the various cameras. 

System: Corsair 500R | i7 4770k | Coolermaster 212 Evo | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Windforce R9 290 | Evo 840 250GB | Barracuda 2TB | Barracuda 3TB | Dell U2410 LG 23EA63V 

canon have fewer lenses (142) than Nikon (168) and also have fewer flashes (3) than nikon (5) in their line ups. And the Canon lenses are actually sharper on the DxoMark Acuity index

I've been led to believe that Nikon's cheaper lenses are superior than Canons.

I've been led to believe that Nikon's cheaper lenses are superior than Canons.

Not true, both have decent lens choices even at a low cost, such as canons excellent 50 f1,8 and 40 f2,8 pancake, and more - there are tons of great cheap canon lenses 

these days they are almost mirror images of themselves, heck nikon even have great video options these days !!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

you are just looking at OEM lens, if you consider third party lens, which imo in generally better than OEM at same $$$, there is more for Canon

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

you are just looking at OEM lens, if you consider third party lens, which imo in generally better than OEM at same $$$, there is more for Canon

Also OP

Also OP

Also OP

a lot of the times that's quite untrue, and even if they make them for both nikon always get released later