optical fibre router help 50 Mbps and 69 Mbps download and upload 14.1 Mbps and 20 Mbps HELP

syfer

Hi well I need a new router that works with optical fibre and my speeds will be 50 Mbps and 69 Mbps download and upload 14.1 Mbps and 20. I have one android tablet and one ipad and two android phones and one iPhone.

Can I ask what's the best router for me?

What would you recommend?

Please not I am from the uk as such I need a descent router.

I wait for your replay...

Umar

What router do you currently own, if your current router is able to bridge the optic and Ethernet you will have a wider range of routers to chose from. 

HTID

How does the fiber connection come into your house? with fiber to the home it typically comes into the house with an ethernet cable, in which case pretty much any wireless router would work with it.

My budget is £100 max no more than that. any suggesting I might go with bt I don't know how good the bt hub is so this why I am buying after market router and no I know current router is only adsl 2 router its old Belkin play max F7D4401 v1. I might even go with plus net but I will see.

I did see  TP-LINK AC1750 Archer C7 that was router from the gadget show that gave this 5 starts in 2014. I was wondering what other makes are their what would you recommend?

It takes two devices to get internet from fiber into your computer.

The first is a modem, that will essentially convert the fiber into ethernet. Your ISP should have provided this for you, and will have one RJ45 jack on it. If it has more then it likely has a router built into it. The router is the second device, and is "smart" and will share the internet with all of the devices that you have, routing them to the correct places.

If you currently only have one device that is a combination of the two, buying a consumer router will not work to replace it. You can, however, bypass the built in router (if you have it) and run one that you buy instead.

I am a little confused tho, you say you have fiber internet, but have an ADSL router/modem, which would not work together.

Onto the question at hand: I've switched to Ubiquiti and commercial stuff, so I haven't been paying attention to the recent wireless stuff... but in the past I've been extremely happy with TP-Link. I believe they are mainly Netgear clones for half the price, and I've never had one fail on me.

It takes two devices to get internet from fiber into your computer.

The first is a modem, that will essentially convert the fiber into ethernet. Your ISP should have provided this for you, and will have one RJ45 jack on it. If it has more then it likely has a router built into it. The router is the second device, and is "smart" and will share the internet with all of the devices that you have, routing them to the correct places.

If you currently only have one device that is a combination of the two, buying a consumer router will not work to replace it. You can, however, bypass the built in router (if you have it) and run one that you buy instead.

I am a little confused tho, you say you have fiber internet, but have an ADSL router/modem, which would not work together.

Onto the question at hand: I've switched to Ubiquiti and commercial stuff, so I haven't been paying attention to the recent wireless stuff... but in the past I've been extremely happy with TP-Link. I believe they are mainly Netgear clones for half the price, and I've never had one fail on me.

The ISP I work for used cheap tp-link n routers for a while. Considering how cheap they were they weren't half bad,  I saw very few of them fail in the field. I've never used any of their higher end products though.

Hi well I need a new router that works with optical fibre and my speeds will be 50 Mbps and 69 Mbps download and upload 14.1 Mbps and 20. I have one android tablet and one ipad and two android phones and one iPhone.

Can I ask what's the best router for me?

What would you recommend?

Please not I am from the uk as such I need a descent router.

I wait for your replay...

Umar

My budget is £100 max no more than that. any suggesting I might go with bt I don't know how good the bt hub is so this why I am buying after market router and no I know current router is only adsl 2 router its old Belkin play max F7D4401 v1. I might even go with plus net but I will see.

I did see  TP-LINK AC1750 Archer C7 that was router from the gadget show that gave this 5 starts in 2014. I was wondering what other makes are their what would you recommend?

Hi

what ever you chose. BT Virgin, plusnett , (dont chose sky).   But lets start off with one key point.  its going to be a FTTC connection.  So Fibre To The Cabinet.  IE  a fast fibre cable is run to a cabinet somewhere and all the houses connect to it via  copper. This would probably be Coaxial or phone line.  So you dont need anything special. 

If your chossing BT or Virgin  either way you will be required to use their combo "router"  So it has the modem and router inside the one unit.  You can't just put your own router in and connect it up directly on the internet line. 

But you can connect your own router to the combonation unit and turn the supplied "router" in to just a modem.   normaly the suppled "routers" from ISP's like BT and Virgin are good enough for home use.  If your not plaing to do anthing specail with it like loads of port forwarding, DNS or stickt access rights, filtes etc.  then  the supplied ones are ok.

If its WIFI range yor after then Look at getting a Wireless access point or something like a wifi booster (not the best but there we go)

with a maximum through put of about 90Mbs  (once you add your download and upload to-geather)  you shouldnt need anything special.     The guyes here might be able to recomend you a aftermarket rotuer if you realy want one  but be prepeaired to have to set it up and fiddle with the supplied "router" by your ISP.

Also  BT own PlussNet.  so pluss net more than likely runs off BT lines.  

If I had to chose I would go with BT or Virgin.  Probably BT at this moment in time, they seem to be doing a few good things comapred to 4 or 5 years agao.  But then Virgin are just a good, last time i had an outage was last year (not 1 month ago )  And would just stick with the provided "router" untill i felt that i might need something a bit more IE longer WIFI range.

Hope this helps

I see well if I go with plus net they give me very poor Thomson Technicolor 582n router and if I go with bt they give me a descent router hub. Is talk talk any good?

I see well if I go with plus net they give me very poor Thomson Technicolor 582n router and if I go with bt they give me a descent router hub. Is talk talk any good?

Ohoneslty I have never used them but going by this: http://www.broadband.co.uk/broadband/providers/talktalk/reviews/page:all/

It doesnt look that good....    

I would go with BT if your considering them.   I dont go much on the other companies and their "promises "