5400$ Home Theatre School Homework help

GTX 960 is preferred for a non-gaming 4K HTPC build because it does HEVC decode and 2160p60.

Agree

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

I did not find a 4K projector that did not eat up over half off the budget, so that is not happening.

so I decided to put a 2000$ Gaming/HTPC. and I put lots of storage in it so I dont have to put a NAS in the budget too.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

I did not find a 4K projector that did not eat up over half off the budget, so that is not happening.

so I decided to put a 2000$ Gaming/HTPC. and I put lots of storage in it so I dont have to put a NAS in the budget too.

Why would u need a gaming pc to watch 4k

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

My idea for a gaming PC is a personal preference.  The more I thought of it though, the more I was straying away from it and focusing on a theatre-type environment:

-Two or three rows of comfortable chairs.  Back rows are elevated of course.

-Echo cancellation material on the walls.  Carpet on the walls might be an inexpensive way to do this. 

Setting up a room like this costs money, and a gaming PC might not fit the budget. :angry:

Why would u need a gaming pc to watch 4k

the sheapest 4K prosjector I did find did cost like 4000$ so it is not going to be 4K

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

the sheapest 4K prosjector I did find did cost like 4000$ so it is not going to be 4K

Try 1440 or ultrawide or 3k ones

Try 1440 or ultrawide or 3k ones

I can not find that by shearching on amazon/ebay/some local stores. if you know about some, just write the name and then I can find them.

-Stephen Hawking

what is the cables that go to the speakers from the recevier called? 

you can se them at Onkyo TX-NR535 and Q Acoustics 2000i 5.1 Cinema Pack

-Stephen Hawking

Have you done a schematic at all?

This is just an example.  I don't want to get too detailed as it is your work, but having a general idea of what you want helps:

I61FgFQ.png

did youse like a spesific program for that?

ps. I still want to know the name of the wire/cable that is between the speakers and the receiver

-Stephen Hawking

ps. I still want to know the name of the wire/cable that is between the speakers and the receiver

Speaker wire which is normal copper wire.

did youse like a spesific program for that?

Yeah, Microsoft Word 2010, because I was too lazy to find and install Photoshop.  I don't have any CAD programs for more detailed schematics.  One inch represents one meter in my picture, but it won't look that way in the forum.  Each seating square is a 1x1 meter area.

LOVING that everyone bashed the "Trust me I work at Bestbuy" guy; saves me the time.

In any homework assignment, showing your work and justifying your choices may get you more marks than

finding the right answer, or in your case, just buying the "top of the line" models because they are top of the line...

One idea you can base the Visual part of your presentation on is Value;

Best picture quality without the gimmicks (@ 55" 4k is a gimmick in most setup scenarios... sorry scrubs...)

- Choose a 1080p tv over a 4k, and show a chart that proves that at your specified viewing distance, the eye 

can not physically process or perceive the extra data that 4k presents over a 1080p set. Use the point of view that you used the money saved from opting out of 4k to buy a larger set with better picture quality *LOTS OF MARKS!* 

- In depth article here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/269209-4k-for-home-theater-and-why-you-may-not-need-it-long-read/

- FYI The best TV's in terms of picture quality, though discontinued, are Still Plasmas! OLED tech isn't up to snuff yet and LED is no where close!

The Panasonic VT60 and ZT60 (discontinued in 2013 but sometimes available), and the samsung F8500 (Discontinued in 2014, but I purchased a 60" model 2 months ago so its still relevant) are the best. Those three models have won the HDTV shootout by landslides against LED's for the past 3 years..... (google hdtv shootout value electronics). They are all pretty pricey so they may be out of your price range, but hopefully you get what I mean with the 1080p vs 4k thing.

HTPC for sure: I thought linus or another comp guy on youtube may have done a cheap HTPC build, use that if it fits your budget...

Audio: Focus your budget on a good set of speakers rather than the top of the line receiver. 

If you are okay with sacrificing the network functionality, an ONKYO HT-R2295 has a lot of the same features as the NR535, a few hundred dollars cheaper. I bought the R2295 over the 535 because my TV (F8500) and network had all of the bluetooth and wireless connectivity I needed.

That said, I dropped $2500 on a TV and $500 on my entire 5.1 system, so you can guess where my expertise and research has been focussed; go with the other audio suggestions here speaker wise.

Hope this helps,

but if you base this project on "For $5000, I could have gotten a midrange 4K 55" tv, speakers, etc, based on the advice normal consumers are given in big box stores. Instead I used THX specifications and viewing charts to buy a top of the line 65" plasma tv, a 7.1 system, and built a custom HTPC"

Thats a badass presentation :/

Hope this helps bud,

good luck

*Brace yourselves, the "I can see 4k" posts are coming* 

Current System Specs:

MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming     CPU: Intel i5 9600k      GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ti FTW Ultra Silent    PSU: EVGA 750 G2 80+ gold

Ram:  16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200    Storage: 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO/ 4TB WD Blue Case: Corsair 275R-White

tanx that did help some ;)

-Stephen Hawking

Carpet on the walls helps eliminate echoing.

Simple diffusers and absorbers can be DIYed. There are lots of plans online. Bass traps may also help.

those egg cartons too

I know, I have all ready put that in.

btw. my presentation is tomorow(maybe, I dont know if I am going to do it first or last or how long the other teamates uses) and I dont tink I will need more help now anyways :) Tanx a lot to everyone that did help me ;) 

-Stephen Hawking

I know, I have all ready put that in.

btw. my presentation is tomorow(maybe, I dont know if I am going to do it first or last or how long the other teamates uses) and I dont tink I will need more help now anyways :) Tanx a lot to everyone that did help me ;)

Howd the presentation go?

Current System Specs:

MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming     CPU: Intel i5 9600k      GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ti FTW Ultra Silent    PSU: EVGA 750 G2 80+ gold

Ram:  16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200    Storage: 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO/ 4TB WD Blue Case: Corsair 275R-White

• 2 months later...

Howd the presentation go?

sorry for a late answer, but I didnt have the presentation before 2 weeks ago, because of sick teacher. so my class had to do it with a other teacher, that could not give a grade, but I got told my presentation was the best in my class :D the reason is because all the others used as much as they could at TV or speakers and lacked in other things, or didnt explain why those other things were chosen.

-Stephen Hawking

-super mega expert man-

The setup is nice and all, but really? Sony expert? I don't think that that's a thing m80

Sleepy: |  R7 1700@ 3.7GHz (NHD-15) | MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic | GIGABYTE Windforce GTX 1080 | 16GB of RAM | 8TBs of HDD | 128GB SSD| S340 Tempered Glass | XFX 550w Bronze 80+ PSU | 40" 4K panel, and 3 1080p bois