4k with R9 280x?

TheTechnical1

it will support the 4K display

but dont expect to play games at 4K res

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Thank you

remember to use only DisplayPort for your 4K monitor

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

• 1 month later...

I play on my 4K(actually UHD) TV all the time with my 280X. The card doesn't have HDMI 2.0 so with V-Sync you only have to hit 30fps. I play BF4 and ARMA on Ultra minus AA and Assetto Corsa I just lower Shadows and Reflections. I know it's not 60fps but it is fine for me.

You can play older games on 4k at 60fps but don't expect to play crysis 3 in 4k 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

You'll play games at 4K, the definition of 'playable' is user-dependent.

You'd be surprised how good games still look on LOW, as long as the TextureQuality is Maxed.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Can a R9 280x support  a 4k gaming monitor? 

Yes, but You'll only get 30-35fps. IF you have a the right budget you can get 2 and put them in crossfire. :)

Also what are your PC Specs?

EDIT: R9 290x would be better for 4K

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

You will be slogging FPS for a 280X.

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

GTX 970 with 3.5 GB sucks at 4K, 280X with 3 GB has no chance.

280x crossfire or single 290x will do fine. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Dude you dont get it, 4K needs lot of video memory, even with dual 280xes youd still be bound to just 3 GB overall which for 4K is quite not enough in modern games, 290X on the other hand is great for 4K.

Dude you dont get it, 4K needs lot of video memory, even with dual 280xes youd still be bound to just 3 GB overall which for 4K is quite not enough in modern games, 290X on the other hand is great for 4K.

Will support monitor, but I highly recommend not gaming on it

You will be slogging FPS for a 280X.

You'll play games at 4K, the definition of 'playable' is user-dependent.

You'd be surprised how good games still look on LOW, as long as the TextureQuality is Maxed.

The thread is a month old, no point in responding. 

Also I disagree with the blanket statement that the 280x "cannot play games at 4k" because it can, just not the newest AAA titles with decent settings. Pretty much every other game will run just fine.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Also I disagree with the blanket statement that the 280x "cannot play games at 4k" because it can, just not the newest AAA titles with decent settings. Pretty much every other game will run just fine.

Yep, league of legends, most MMOs, most games that are a few of years old now. There's an extensive catalogue of games that run great at 4K on cards like a 280X, just not a lot of modern AAA games.

I didn't know that :P Thanks for correcting me. 

The thread is a month old, no point in responding. 

Considering the user has not stated which games he/she would play makes it hard to tell if his card will run "games" at 4k. You can only assume in a general sense. 280X won't run a lot of games very well.

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

Considering the user has not stated which games he/she would play makes it hard to tell if his card will run "games" at 4k. You can only assume in a general sense. 280X won't run a lot of games very well.

It will also run a lot of games very well. All I ask is that you clarify new AAA games won't run well but most other games will because if not, more people will overestimate the power required to run any game at 4k.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

If you are running HDMI, you are limited to 30fps on an AMD card anyways. Crysis 3 I run with very high textures and high preset with medium shadows and shaders and don't dip below 30.

With those settings, Crysis 3 only uses ~1900MB of memory. Battlefield 4 uses far more on Ultra @2980MB.

I didn't know that :P Thanks for correcting me. 

For modern AAA games the 280X is nowhere near powerful enough. Vram is literally not an issue -- the GPU is just not up to it. For the kind of games that the 280X is good enough to run, you won't be using 3GB of vram.

If you are wanting to play low demanding games on a mid range card, though, I would recommend you get a 285 or a 960. Their display interfaces are modern enough to support 4K at 60hz.

If you are running HDMI, you are limited to 30fps on an AMD card anyways. Crysis 3 I run with very high textures and high preset with medium shadows and shaders and don't dip below 30.

With those settings, Crysis 3 only uses ~1900MB of memory. Battlefield 4 uses far more on Ultra @2980MB.  

Down-sampling is a thing yea...

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

resource heavy anti-aliasing is not the same as running a higher resolution.

3Gb will run everything at 4K just fine.

In my testing most games only use 2.5 GB.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Yeah maybe some games that are not too demanding. The r9 290x might be better if you want to game on them.