New to Dota 2

Flanelman

Hi I'm new to dota 2 and looking for people to play with :) (nice people!)

I would love to play with you but my main rig is broken, I'm getting a new one soon, add me: PercySavageEG 

If you are new to the game, my advice is to pick riki and then try your best to wreck everybody, you might make some people angry but it's usually an easy win

It might be hard if you want to team up with me though, we would get paired with quite strong players (I'm lvl 42 at 600+ hours)

edit: I'll inform you when my new rig is done and maybe I will be able to arrange some time to team up with you

| --- My Stuff --- |

Computer: Apple Late-2008 Macbook Pro ; -Haguro- build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/296613-wip-project-haguro-x99-hackintosh-workstation/|

Mobile Devices: Apple 32GB 1st gen Ipad Mini ; Apple 16GB Iphone 5s ; Apple Ipod Classic 80Gb 5th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 120Gb 6th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 160Gb 7th Gen ; Apple Ipod Nano 16Gb 6th Gen 

I would love to play with you but my main rig is broken, I'm getting a new one soon, add me: PercySavageEG 

If you are new to the game, my advice is to pick riki and then try your best to wreck everybody, you might make some people angry but it's usually an easy win

It might be hard if you want to team up with me though, we would get paired with quite strong players (I'm lvl 42 at 600+ hours)

edit: I'll inform you when my new rig is done and maybe I will be able to arrange some time to team up with you

Even I'm currently downloading the game, would like some opinions and suggestions from you :)

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Even I'm currently downloading the game, would like some opinions and suggestions from you :)

I depends on what exactly do you want to know about? good starting heros? tips on how to lane successfully? others? I'm ready to answer to the extent of what I know as long as the question is specific enough :)

| --- My Stuff --- |

Computer: Apple Late-2008 Macbook Pro ; -Haguro- build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/296613-wip-project-haguro-x99-hackintosh-workstation/|

Mobile Devices: Apple 32GB 1st gen Ipad Mini ; Apple 16GB Iphone 5s ; Apple Ipod Classic 80Gb 5th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 120Gb 6th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 160Gb 7th Gen ; Apple Ipod Nano 16Gb 6th Gen 

I depends on what exactly do you want to know about? good starting heros? tips on how to lane successfully? others? I'm ready to answer to the extent of what I know as long as the question is specific enough :)

First thing would be the heroes of course. Then the "how to successfully master the game guide" :D

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

First thing would be the heroes of course. Then the "how to successfully master the game guide" :D

Heroes: There are currently 109 heroes in dota 2 as of 19 Jan 2015, divided into 3 groups: Strength Heroes, Agility Heroes and Intelligence Heroes. If you  have just started out in dota, I suggest finding yourself a hero that you are most comfortable with as your main (you can probably figure this out by playing a dozen games or just practice with bots) ,if you are anything like me, I would avoid Intelligence Heroes for now, they usually require more skill to master and to be helpful to your teammates in team fights. Once you have found a favourite hero, try to play that hero for a few rounds in a row until you feel like you know your way around that hero, then start trying out some other heroes that are similar to your favourite to see if any of them suits you better (whenever you feel frustrated from losing when testing out new heroes, play a couple rounds with your favourite), repeat the process until you have played and remember most of the character's skills.

How to start mastering the game:

There are some things in the game that I think are essential for one to be able to master the game:

1. Last hitting and denying (farming): One of the most important things to train yourself at in the game, if you are good enough at farming, you can gain a giant advantage over your opponents, there are a lot to keep in mind while farming and I can't explain it all so heres a link to somewhere you can read more about it

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Creep_control_techniques 

2. Character knowledge: This happened a lot when I started out with dota, I would find myself in a 1v1 situation and have no idea what skill the enemy hero has and usually end up getting hit by a skill that I didn't even know existed. Knowing what you are going against can help you calculate what might happen next and be prepared to react when needed AKA "countering". On the other hand, knowing what skill your teammates have can help you support/combo with them more efficiently. That's why reading up/skimming over some of the character's/hero's skills before going into battle might be a wise move but by the time you play your 50th round, I'm positive that you would have already remembered all the skills of every character in the game

This is all I have time for right now but I'm sure this is already going to be way more info than what you can keep in mind when you are in battle so I think it is better to just take it one step at a time, please do try implementing some of the advices I've given into when you play and give me feedback on what you think about them, useful? stupid? If you need to ask me more questions, please PM me here in the LTT forum and I'll get back to you ASAP (I can't take invites to party right now because my main rig is still broken but if you do want to party with me, pm me and I'll inform you on when my new rig is going to be finished and I'll happily arrange some time to play with you :)

| --- My Stuff --- |

ayy, i would like to play with some more people, but i'm kinda crap at dota. hit me up if you want, but i play in aus, so i might have some severe lag issues. steam name Mr Brick Panda.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I'm new to dota 2 and looking for people to play with :) (nice people!)

if you want to know the absolute basic look up PurgeGamers guide "You suck, Welcome to Dota 2" best guide for beginners.

You should always remember your role in the game.

Carry:

-try to farm as much as you can and last hit every last enemy creep to the best of your ability. Don't bother with the denying if you are laned with a support(and I really mean a good support who also knows what he/she needs to do) let the good support deny the creeps.

-carries are usually squishy at the start for example weaver and drow, so always remember not to dive into team battles and wait for the first round of stuns/skills to be used before going in.

-for the last advise try to last hit every enemy hero(in some situations it would be called a KS), this might drive some other players mad and start Flaming a you, specially if they're just kids who don't know anything.

i wont delve into the other roles since you'd usually just be using carry heroes for the time being, if you want a good carry hero that's not that easy to use try Weaver, weaver's  very squishy, yet has an escape/chasing mechanism and can be very devastating if used properly.

for the support role I recommend Lich if you have both tranquil boots and urn of shadows you'll barely go home as you are very much capable of replenishing both your mana and health on the fly. Lich also has significant team fight advantage with his chain frost.

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

The best piece of advice I could give, especially when you start playing for MMR is "Good luck, have fun" :)

Intel i5 4460 || Deepcool Gammaxx S40 || Gigabyte H97 Gaming 3 || Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb DDR3 1600 CL9 || Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Asus 24x DVDRW OEM || Bitfenix Comrade Window White || Asus VX239h || Razer Blackwidow 2013 || Razer Deathadder Chroma || Windows 8.1 x64 SL || Crucial M550 256gb || Deepcool RGB Led Controller

You should always remember your role in the game.

Carry:

-try to farm as much as you can and last hit every last enemy creep to the best of your ability. Don't bother with the denying if you are laned with a support(and I really mean a good support who also knows what he/she needs to do) let the good support deny the creeps.

-carries are usually squishy at the start for example weaver and drow, so always remember not to dive into team battles and wait for the first round of stuns/skills to be used before going in.

-for the last advise try to last hit every enemy hero(in some situations it would be called a KS), this might drive some other players mad and start Flaming a you, specially if they're just kids who don't know anything.

i wont delve into the other roles since you'd usually just be using carry heroes for the time being, if you want a good carry hero that's not that easy to use try Weaver, weaver's  very squishy, yet has an escape/chasing mechanism and can be very devastating if used properly.

for the support role I recommend Lich if you have both tranquil boots and urn of shadows you'll barely go home as you are very much capable of replenishing both your mana and health on the fly. Lich also has significant team fight advantage with his chain frost.

You seem to know a thing or two, care to explain how to use a Support? Because oh boy does they lag behind no matter what unless you start killing creeps from your teammate. and then they get pissed because of it or they get pissed for you lagging behind. 

Like how are they suppose to earn exp and gold  !? Jungle ??? I´ve had bad experience so far.

You seem to know a thing or two, care to explain how to use a Support? Because oh boy does they lag behind no matter what unless you start killing creeps from your teammate. and then they get pissed because of it or they get pissed for you lagging behind. 

Like how are they suppose to earn exp and gold  !? Jungle ??? I´ve had bad experience so far.

I'm gonna start by saying "Playing support is against human instincts.". Like I said before I wont recommend playing support roles when you're still playing at low levels since you'll end up losing in the end because in all likelihood your teammates can't carry the game. But if you really want to be a support kind of guy here are some easy to use heroes for support. Lich, Venomancer, Lion, Vengeful Spirit, and Crystal Maiden. They're easy to play since most of their skills are just point, click and boom.

But I also never said they're easy to master. Vengeful is a fairly versatile hero, since you can build her either to be a support or to be a carry. But you'd need to know when or not to use nether swap since it can make or break a game. As for jungling, you can't learn by word you'd need to watch or experience it by yourself(there are a lot of tutorials on youtube on how to jungle with different heroes). A popular jungler would be Nature's Prophet or enigma. 

My tips on being a good support would be:

• knowledge about your hero, allies' and enemy's.
  • Map Awareness
  • Survive at all costs dont keep on dying
  • Always be ready for any potential team fights
  • buy the courier! if your team doesn't have one yet
  • Don't let your skill/items become passive(always remember to use items like mekansm, arcane boots and etc)
  • wards, wards are always useful. look for the eye markings on cliffs they're the best places to place wards
  • Finally Communication is key!!! If you have a mic the better. Always warn them of any missing heroes or arriving heroes, what their items are. Also if you're out of mana, low on health Ulti is on cooldown always tell them. 

most support heroes are not item dependent like lion, by that i meant they don't need good items to be useful/able to kill. When laning with a carry always try to be the one denying. Lich is a good lane-support hero when going for a lich when you're not going for the kill at level 1 then take sacrifice first and once the first wave of creeps come out use it on one of them not only does this deprive your enemies of exp and gold. but you also gain a decent amount of exp. always remember to use sacrifice.

oh and don't mind the TT of others most of them don't have lives outside this game. so just take pity and be silent. So next time you meet someone who doesn't know anything be friendly and help him/her don't get mad after all everyone had to be a noob at some point. If someone's really just plain annoying there is always the report option.  :lol:

in case you don't know this yet you can use alt+leftclick on a lot of things for instant notifs like alt+leftclick on your'e skill to instantly say that it's ready, not learned, need more mana or on cooldown.

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

I'm gonna start by saying "Playing support is against human instincts.". Like I said before I wont recommend playing support roles when you're still playing at low levels since you'll end up losing in the end because in all likelihood your teammates can't carry the game. But if you really want to be a support kind of guy here are some easy to use heroes for support. Lich, Venomancer, Lion, Vengeful Spirit, and Crystal Maiden. They're easy to play since most of their skills are just point, click and boom.

Couldn't agree more. I play/ed support for the first hundred hours and it actually severely crippled my mechanics. I got used to map awareness and being selfless, but now I can't last hit worth a damn. I'm trying to learn Invoker right now. That 39 base damage certainly doesn't help my CC.

First thing would be the heroes of course. Then the "how to successfully master the game guide"  :D

You can't really be all that effective until you have a general understanding of most of the heroes. This is probably the biggest barrier to entry for DotA in my opinion. What I did was I would watch pro games, and if there was a hero I didn't recognize, I would watch the DotA Cinema Hero Spotlight for the ones I didn't know, and then watch the pro match. You get to learn how the heroes are played, what role they can fill, and to a certain extent what items are good on each hero. Don't exactly emulate what the pros are doing, though. They got there for a reason. Usually they use incredibly advanced tactics that wouldn't work out without precise team communication. 

Once you know most/all the heroes, then you can start making critical decisions on who, how, and what to play as. When I first started, I HATED the word "situational," and it's likely what people will tell you when you ask if a certain hero or certain item is good. It's what makes DotA the incredibly complex game that it is. 109 heroes that all interact with different synergies and counters to one another. This knowledge comes with time, and nothing but time. It's the ability to look at an enemy line up and thinking to yourself "okay is Black King Bar a good item choice for this game? They have a Leshrec, all of his spells are magical, so a BKB will negate most of his damage. But what if they have a Doom? His Ult goes through magic immunity. Oh they have a Juggernaut or a Phantom Assassin and I'm a squishy support, so I should build a force staff or a ghost scepter to give enough time to escape. " and so on and so forth.