Do you really need expensive "top tier" branded gaming peripherals?

i actually don't use them for gaming. I'm on the computer 10 hours a day (2 hours at home, 8 hours for work).  Using a mechanical keyboard makes my job more enjoyable, so I do it. My mouse has buttons on it puts windows at certain sizes in specific locations on my screen (thanks Divvy), so it helps me with speed that its programmable.

For gaming, w/e. Its gaming, who cares. If it allows you to have more fun, fine. But a lot of these things are good fork work!  

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

yep, totally agree with you, what peripherals do you have right now? heres what I have

Mouse: G502 Proteus Core (bought for $75)

Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K50 (bought for $85 and yes, it is a membrane keyboard, please sue me :P)

Headphone: Audio Technica CKM55 (bought for >$100 but is given to me by my dad, not bought by me)

Mousepad: Corsair Cloth mouse pad ($10)

Well, I posted it already but it's just some locally branded keyboard and mouse combo that I found at a mall near me.

Mouse: CDR-King Gaming Mouse

Keyboard: CDR-King Gaming Keyboard (both $9)

Headphone: Razer Kraken $60 (Gonna get this as a gift due to me passing college entrance exam and stuff. Still being shipped. The cheapest headset I could find)

Mousepad: A4tech Bloody Large Mouse mat $11(forgot the actual name) also being shipped. A present to myself. Cost more than my mouse+keyboard (!)

Pics at the original post on first page.

Laptop - Asus TUF FX504GM

i7 8750H | 24GB DDR4 | GTX 1060 6GB | 128GB NVMe SSD | 1TB HDD

Peripherals

Logitech G102 Prodigy | Nubwo N12

No. f0rest a Counter Strike legend and overall a top 5 player in the world used a kinzu which has a not so good sensor for fps in his 1.6 days and he was still a top 3 player. JW uses a Sensei which has not so good laser sensor for fps too and is probably the 2nd best AWPer in CS atm. and there are more. In FPS people will go about having good gear the most, in MOBAs having a really good mouse isnt as important as in a fps imo but at the end of the day if you get used to what you have no matter what it is you can get good with it

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

Most people only "need" them after trying out somebody else's peripherals :P

My friend cannot stand his rubber dome after typing on my MX Greens. Lots of people find my M500 comfortable. These people think that really high-priced peripherals are overpriced until they actually try them for real.

That said, some people genuinely enjoy cheap optical mice like the Wheel Mouse Optical and some cheap keyboard from the bargain bin so they can do what they want.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

The only features that really matter to me are Ajustable DPI and Macro buttons for Mice because it's super handy and backlighting and macro buttons for keyboards. People make far too much of mechanical switches.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Are they needed? No, but they are worth it. I personally can not stand any form of acceleration/anomalies in mouse tracking, so I buy only mice with quality optical sensors. And mechanical keyboards are totally worth it as well.

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come

Whoa, cherry mx has nothing to do with gaming at all. Sure a lot of gaming companies use them in their boards but not game related at all. And yes, they are DEFINITELY worth it, as I have 3 different boards with mechanical switches now (Im addicted)

• 1 month later...

I'm currently on the same boat as the TS. I currently have a Ttesports Amaru (KB) and Ryujin (mouse) and I'm trying to justify to myself if I really need to upgrade my peripherals by searching for a definite answer, but what I found is that it really depends on what you do and what you prefer.

Before I got Ttesports branded KB and mouse combo I had the same brand of KB and mouse as the TS although it's not the same model (it's cheaper than 9usd). The mouse broke down in less than 6 months and as for the KB, it can only register 3 buttons at the same time and it broke in less than 6 months as well.

With my current peripherals, my KB can register 6 keys at the same time which is nice because I can slide now on Crysis 3 lol and the mouse is decent (although I'm experiencing some double clicking this past few days), they're both still working after a year.

My current justification for a new mouse are, first, the ergonomics of the mouse since I'm on my computer almost all the time and I'm having some discomfort on my right hand that I attributed it to my current mouse' ergonomics, second, for additional programmable buttons because I want to try the "sniper button" and lastly, I want a wireless mouse.

And I'm leaning on getting either a Logitech G602/G502 or a Corsair M65 Vengeance RGB.

My current justification for a new KB are, first, to try a mechanical keyboard, second, media keys and lastly, those them LEDs. :)

And I'm leaning on getting either a Corsair K70 (non-rgb) or a Logitech G710+.

P.S. I'm trying to get it used to save money, but I might get it new if I can't find a decent used peripherals. And oh btw, I don't have a mouse pad lol, should I get a pricier one?

I love free stuff.

GTX 970 with pseudo 4gb vram at pseudo 224gb/s at pseudo  256-bit with 56 ROPs (corrected from 64) and 1.75mb L2 cache (corrected from 2mb).

If you ask me personally , i think i would rather spend more money on a keyboard than a mouse . look i dont have the best mice nor the worst mice .

I have a  Team scorpion X-Luca mouse and its not bad and its not good but decent . for 25 euros In Finnland, i think its a good bargen.

So try to find a '' sweet spot '' when it comes to mouses

Now as for the keybord . iv been on a financial , headpounding hunt . trying to pin down some mechanical keyboards that is a candidate for me .

Zowie Celeritas Or the Tesoro Durandal Ultimate G1NL.

going to get the zowie one because it looks good and i like the buisness model .

Now as for youre question , Do you need it and Is it needed  ... well its up to you . what ever makes you comfortable , stick wioth it , no is telling you to go outside of youre comfort zone and  See look, im trying to be a cheap scape when it comes to these peripherals . found the Zowie one for a bargen .

Do not be afraid to go dutch When it comes to peripherals . be on the hunt and search for the pest possible price , even if its off 2 to 3 bucks or euros . dig deep and  dig hard , serch every nuc and crany for the best price . iv almost looked thought out the intire counrty for the best price and i found one .

any way mate , stay awesome and stay groovie . :D

(⌐■_■) 

You can definitely enjoy the high end peripherals, but i think competitively, you just want decent headphones, ATH-AD700x's is probably the best cheapish headphones, about $115. A decent cheap mouse with minimal speed related variance and no smoothing played at a DPI no higher then 1800, the Logitech g100s, a $20 mouse, would be a good cheap option. A 120hz monitor (only needed if hardcore into FPS). Then with keyboards, competitively, probably not much of a need. The most popular are mechanical which if anything are a competitive disadvantage because of their debounce time. If you were super hardcore, you'd probably want to spend like $200 on a capacitive switch keyboard. Otherwise, a cheap membrane is probably fine.

But yeah, high DPI is worthless marketing bullshit. Most pros use 400-1000 DPI. I don't know anything about your current mouse, you might benefit from a mouse with a better sensor, but by no means just think higher DPI is good. Cherry switches are poor for competitive gaming, they are just a fad with people obsessed with the clicking sound they create. Good headphones are great for hearing your surroundings and knowing where sounds are coming from, but you just want solid stereo headphones, none of that surround sound crap and shouldn't need to spend more then $150 unless you want audiophile grade headphones to make it more enjoyable as well.

Technicall keyboards prove next to no performance boost in games, but a good mouse can make all the difference

CPU-i5 4690k 4.4ghz @ 1.190V, MOBO-MSI z97 gaming 3, Cooler-hyper 212 evo, GPU- r9 290x asus directcuII (-37Mv), Storage-120gb v300(switching soon), 1tb caviar blue, CASE-Red/black h440, PSU-Antec TPC 650.

U dont. But u want them. Needs and wants are different things but we often go with what we want :)

I would be fine with a mech keyboard for £60 but I want numkeypad and pretty lights :)

I could use a £20 mouse but I want a great fit for my hand, sexy design and more buttons.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

U dont. But u want them. Needs and wants are different things but we often go with what we want :)

I would be fine with a mech keyboard for £60 but I want numkeypad and pretty lights :)

I could use a £20 mouse but I want a great fit for my hand, sexy design and more buttons.

Like i said, try to find the sweet spot for a gaming mouse . right price with a good DPI ( didnt say best ) . P:s Nice Rigg you have there :D.

Technicall keyboards prove next to no performance boost in games, but a good mouse can make all the difference

With higher DPI and eat all that marketing BS ?? Welll... i think price hunting a mouse that has a good and solid DPI and priced right , can make a diffrence and can be quite good .

You can definitely enjoy the high end peripherals, but i think competitively, you just want decent headphones, ATH-AD700x's is probably the best cheapish headphones, about $115. A decent cheap mouse with minimal speed related variance and no smoothing played at a DPI no higher then 1800, the Logitech g100s, a $20 mouse, would be a good cheap option. A 120hz monitor (only needed if hardcore into FPS). Then with keyboards, competitively, probably not much of a need. The most popular are mechanical which if anything are a competitive disadvantage because of their debounce time. If you were super hardcore, you'd probably want to spend like $200 on a capacitive switch keyboard. Otherwise, a cheap membrane is probably fine.

But yeah, high DPI is worthless marketing bullshit. Most pros use 400-1000 DPI. I don't know anything about your current mouse, you might benefit from a mouse with a better sensor, but by no means just think higher DPI is good. Cherry switches are poor for competitive gaming, they are just a fad with people obsessed with the clicking sound they create. Good headphones are great for hearing your surroundings and knowing where sounds are coming from, but you just want solid stereo headphones, none of that surround sound crap and shouldn't need to spend more then $150 unless you want audiophile grade headphones to make it more enjoyable as well.

I know you mean well , and i dont want to be a buttplug but , the guy is asking about mouses and mechanical keybords , not headphones . now i do apologize if this somewhat makes you ticked off ...??? and if i was to sugguest a headphone , i would sugguest the one i have , the HyperX cloud . with a good amp/dac , its awesome .

(⌐■_■) 

I can't speak for Razer's keyboard quality, but I swear by their Deathadder mice.  I've been using them for years and just haven't found a mouse that's quite as comfy.

OS:Windows 10 Pro |  CPU:Intel Core i7 4790k | GPU:ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) | MoBo:ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Storage: 500GB Crucial MX200 SSD, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2) | Monitors:Acer XB270HU/ASUS VH238H | Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma w/ Razer Greens | Mouse:Razer Deathadder Chroma | Headset:BeyerDynamic DT990Pro w/ Antlion Modmic

I can't speak for Razer's keyboard quality, but I swear by their Deathadder mice. I've been using them for years and just haven't found a mouse that's quite as comfy.

Well their keyboards are plasticy...

I had Deathadder 2012 and wasn't fitting my hand very well (damn plastic sides...).

Then I went with more curvy mouse (the one I own now) and its so much better feeling.

Not sure what I'm gonna buy next.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE