GALAX GeForce GTX 980 Hall of Fame Edition

I bought two of them straight from Galax for my new build. They arrived early, well protected in the packaging, and in perfect shape. For a white build, they are the only way to go.I know they might do better on water, but I want to keep the white and lights for now, so they will stay stock. My previous rig was an all water build, and upgrading it was a pain. They gpus did overclock much better though.

IronHide v-4.0 - Current: 2700k (@5.0ghz), MSI Z77 GD65, G.Skill 16GB DDR3 2133, EVGA GTX 670 FTW SLI, Asus Xonar DX 7.1, Kingston ssDNow 240GB Raid 0 SSD, WD Black 2TB Raid 0, Corsair Gold AX 1200, Corsair 800D (Customized), Custom watercooling loop.

SnoBot - In Progress: 4790k, EVGA Z97 Classified, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR3 2400, Galax GTX 980 HOF SLi, Creative Sound Blaster Z (Customized), Intel 730 480GB x 4 Raid 0, WD Black 3TB, Corsair AX 1200i, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe White (Customized), Custom Intel All-in-One Liquid Cooler, 

@nicklmg Luke says "not all chips are created equal" and I couldn't agree more. Why not share ASIC scores of reviewed GPU's, it only takes a second to do in GPU-Z.

Since I started checking ASIC scores, I had cards score as low as 66% (970) and as high as 90% (7950). That golden sample 7950 had stock core @880MHz, I was stable @1252MHz. My 970 has the lowest score of all cards I ever owned and it's also the worst OC I ever got. Not enough of a sample size and there are other factors as well but still.

It would be cool to see what scores you get with the hardware that vendors typically send you for reviews.

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

I now totally have my heart set on this card for my Black/White X99 build.

Have a question though: I plan to get one in the immediate future (< 1 month), and one more in the far future for SLI, prefferably when the price comes down because of AMD competing with the 300 series or something. Afaik, Galax seems to be a smaller company than Asus or EVGA. How likely are they to still be manufacturing these cards in 1-2 years? (Likely? or not at all, and I'll have to look for a used one at that point)

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

• 3 months later...

Maybe someone has brought this up, but what are the chances both you and Jay both got binned really poor cards? Or is it more likely they just are not up to snuff?

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

@nicklmg Luke says "not all chips are created equal" and I couldn't agree more. Why not share ASIC scores of reviewed GPU's, it only takes a second to do in GPU-Z.

Since I started checking ASIC scores, I had cards score as low as 66% (970) and as high as 90% (7950). That golden sample 7950 had stock core @880MHz, I was stable @1252MHz. My 970 has the lowest score of all cards I ever owned and it's also the worst OC I ever got. Not enough of a sample size and there are other factors as well but still.

It would be cool to see what scores you get with the hardware that vendors typically send you for reviews.

There are more to ASIC scores than that, a buddy of mine has 68% ASIC and can bench games & HWBOT benchmarks at 1600+ mhz.

Just because you get a high ASIC / low asic doesn't mean much, there's a lot of factors, IE: GPU temperature, vrm temperature, vram temperature, list goes on and on and on.

Some cards are leakier than others and won't OC if they go above certain temps.  My 780 Lightning as long as it's under 58c, I can run 24/7 1320 mhz on the core with 1.23volts, but as soon as it goes over 58, it crashes and artifacts like mad.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Maybe someone has brought this up, but what are the chances both you and Jay both got binned really poor cards? Or is it more likely they just are not up to snuff?

It happens, just because they're sent samples doesn't mean they would deliberately bin, test, and send them golden chips without their knowledge for more favorable reviews "basically just giving them golden chips" and you or I could get them but it's the damn silicon lottery man!

I highly doubt that's what's happening in the background, I just think the 980 was a well designed card that the HOF edition doesn't do much to the 980 itself.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress