GALAX GeForce GTX 980 Hall of Fame Edition

simply beautiful card!

"not all chips are created equal" that sounds like silicon-racism :D

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Anyone know why the name change happened?

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Would have loved to see an unboxing and first impression, Linus!!

People who go with white cases would probably love this card.

Re: silicon lottery question. For me, I mainly use the tech quickie vids as easily shared references for my less techie friends. So while I wouldn't need it, they may. :)

Look VS. Performance... For about $20 more you can get a EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Classified ACX 2.0. Although a back plate is another $20 one can always paint the EVGA shell white... HMM.

Anyone know why the name change happened?

They merged with some other company apparently, and changed the name.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I don't really think anyone buying this should be using the 'stock' cooler.

I see your point, but that's not necessarily always the case. Some people will get this purely for looks, and knowing the nice looking cooler will also perform quite well is important to them.

Still, I really would like to see some liquid cooling tests (or even ln2, but that would be complicated, expensive, impractical and only of actual interest to 0.01% of ltt's viewers)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Look VS. Performance... For about $20 more you can get a EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Classified ACX 2.0. Although a back plate is another $20 one can always paint the EVGA shell white... HMM.

or you could get the 2 cheapest gtx 970s you can get your hands on and enjoy 80% more performance.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

YES FINALLY! Awesome review, I have two of these in SLI and I absolutely love them.

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

Wouldn't painting the shell void your warranty though?

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

simply beautiful card!

"not all chips are created equal" that sounds like silicon-racism :D

Hey nice username ;)

I see your point, but that's not necessarily always the case. Some people will get this purely for looks, and knowing the nice looking cooler will also perform quite well is important to them.

Still, I really would like to see some liquid cooling tests (or even ln2, but that would be complicated, expensive, impractical and only of actual interest to 0.01% of ltt's viewers)

Yeah, I just don't see why they review these TOTL cards designed to handle massive voltages & current draw, then they test them with the measly stock cooler and show they perform a few FPS better.

On water they'd see big gains and actually prove what these cards are designed for & capable of.

I'm sure EK would be more than willing to send them a block for the cards, but I suppose it's a bit impractical.  

I just really wish they'd show the actual potential of the card, rather than holding it back with this methodology 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

good video, altough on the top there is a connector(roughly in the middle) wich wasn't mentoined by luke/slick, what does it do?

looks like an optional fanheader to me.

screencap of the connector

xEWgYXH.png

Most likely a voltage tool. Pretty sure it is. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

i think a video on what the silicon lottery is might be worth it, if only for the fun of it.

main/gaming system: intel core i7 5930K, 16GB Gskill ddr4, asus X99 deluxe, 2 titan X's in SLI, corsair AX860 PSU, noctua NH-d15, samsung 512 PRO SSD, 2+3 seagate HDD's, blu-ray ODD, corsair graphite 780t.   game capture system: AMD FX 8350 BE, 16GB ram (left over parts from torn down system), asus ROG crosshair V formula-z, GTX 770 SC, avermedia live gamer HG capture card, elgato HD60 s external usb3 capture device, OCZ 700w, cryorig M9a, kingston 250GB SSD(left over part from torn down system), seagate 1TB internat HDD, seagate backup plus 5TB USB 3 extrenal drive, corsair carbide 200R.    

+1 I think a Techquickie on the Silicon Lottery is a cool idea. I'd watch it even though I already know what it is but many may not.

Also, I've now heard the term "girth" used in a GPU review so my bucket list is one step closer to completion.

I was also wondering about that fan-header looking connector on the front of the card. I agree it's most likely a voltage controller or something along those lines for the heavy overclockers out there. Wouldn't be surprised if it's a way to provide more flexibility to those who know how to use it without risking regular users doing it through software accidentally.

Turnip OC'd to 3Hz on air

Cool, I just want this for the white PCB as it'll look great with my uv purple and light blue color scheme, did I mention I love the white!

Curious if standard 980 waterblocks will fit. 

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

Going to be using the Asus x99 board and 2 way sli, probably no over clock on the gpu's. The HOF will match the board, but would getting Gigabyte G1 Gaming better? Colour isnt really an issue but im kinda stuck.

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

Galax?  Wut?  Anyway a beautiful looking card.  It would look nice in a Star Wars themed build. As for that fan/speed boost button on the card well I think it is kinda cool.  Interesting card and definitely something worthwhile to have on the market.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

There is something definitely sexy about that card :3

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Where does buy?

Welcome to LTT! Feel free to PM me if you just wanna chat, I love conversation!

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

Glad to finally see the 980 HOF on LTT.  For those who are worried about buying in the US, my second card was delivered today . . .

As for buying more (lower power) cards and running in SLI/Crossfire, there is always the appeal of a simple and uncluttered build.  Airflow in a case with 4 GPUs would be a nightmare at best.  All that power, so little air . . .

If you are seriously looking at this card then you aren't going for a bargain priced build in the first place.  Anything worth doing is worth doing right . . .

I will admit to getting lucky on a color theme build.  I already chose the X99 Deluxe and then I managed to get one of the Seasonic Snow Silent PSUs on the first day they went on sale.  Painting the case and the radiator will be easy enough.  I'm going to have to strip the anodizing off half of the heat sinks for my Ripjaws though . . .

No if only I can talk In Win into parting with their prototype S Box Titanium case.  I hear back on that next week.

Hey nice username ;)

sry for stealing it :D

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

I wish they shipped to US...

This kinda looks like the last gen Lightnings...

You can buy from retailers...