[Build Log] 5930k, Mercury s8s, Watercooling

spacealiens

Personal computing has been a hobby of mine for awhile, now.  I've built several computers for myself, wife, family members and friends, but this will be my first ever attempt at watercooling and will hopefully last me through the next couple years as I attempt to complete my Bachelor of Science in Nursing.  This computer's purpose is to handle games for the next 2-3 years, be reliable, and power through CS6 freelance work I do for portrait photographers.

The Build

• i7-5930k - I know a guy, who is a guy, and I got it for cheap. Arrived.
  • Motherboard - I currently have an Asus X99-Pro, but I may switch it up depending on my color theme and because I am not quite satisfied with the PCIe layout if I were to choose a 3-way graphics card configuration.  
  • 16 gb (4x4) 2666 Corsair Vengeance LPX - It was on sale when I bought it and a neutral black. Arrived.
  • MSI r9 290x Lightning x 2 - I currently have one so far and it's a monster for how cheap it is right now. 2x Arrived.
  • Storage - These will probably change before the finished product, but I currently have a 512gb Crucial M4, 240gb Seagate 600 series, WD 3TB green, Seagate 1.5TB Barracuda (that is 5 years old and going strong, mind you).
  • EVGA 1300 G2 - Plenty of headroom, but I may end up expanding if I get an itch to go trifire 290x Lightnings. Arrived.
  • Corsair RM 750 - This is just in case I happen to add a third Lightning.  It's sitting around collecting dust at the moment and I'm keeping it around as a spare before I get sell it. Have.
  • Case-Labs Mercury S8S with pedestal - Limited edition Mercury S8 and the best cube case in my opinion.  I elected to go with a windowed top to show off the components and the loop and add a pedestal to the chassis. It will hold two thick 360s and the extra RM 750 if it ends up being used. Shipped.
  • Cabling - Was considering going with a set from Cablemod, but I'm sort of wanting a 3 color scheme and may end up with something self done or... else.  Need.

The Cooling

• Swiftech MCP655 - D5 Vario, may end up with another to place in serial for redundancy.  2x Arrived.
  • Pump top - I dunno. Ordered.
  • EK Supremacy EVO acetal+nickel - EK waterblocks simply look amazing, and, from my research, are top performing.  This particular one fits my goal aesthetically for the build. Arrived
  • EK r9 290x Lightning acetal+nickel - Beautiful and fits my black and acetal theme. 2x Arrived.
  • EK r9 290x Lightning black backplate - Going all out.  2x Arrived.
  • Reservoir - Still debating.  I'm waiting to get the S8S to get things laid our and see how things end up.
  • Alphacool NexXxos UT60 360mm - Low FPI and nice port layout. 2x Arrived.
  • Alphacool NexXxos UT60 240mm - Low FPI and nice port layout. 2x Arrived.
  • Fittings - The big question, now.  Do I go rigid tubing or flexible. Primochill Rigid Revolver fittings black/silver. 10x Arrived.
  • Tubing - See above. Primochill PETG tubing. 8x Arrived.
  • Fan controller - I have an NZXT Grid+, but I'm not sure if it will support as many fans as I'm going to need. Need.

The Peripherals

• Poker ii - White back light, Cherry MX clears. Have.
  • Razer Naga 2014 - I like buttons. Have.
  • Dell 2713hm - I've had it for a few years, now.  I like it. Have.
  • Some cheap-o Gateway 23" peripheral monitor - For screen real estate. Have.

[spoiler=Updates/Pics]

[spoiler=Final Pics]

Pending

-SNIP-

Let me pull up a chair

78387-Dis-gon-b-gud-gif--This-is-gon-sWM

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

I received my second lightning and ordered the EKWB lightning back plates and waterblocks.  I was told that some people had some problems with their 290x Lightnings, but so far my first one is fantastic and exceeding my expectations.  I'm having a difficult time in picking a color for my fluid/cables.  I'm thinking either Gigabyte OC orange or Rampage V red or keeping my X99-Pro white.  Something just feels good about orange, gunmetal, acetal black and nickel, though.  White would look swell, too, and red just seems overdone.  We'll see.  I've also decided on PETG tubing with black/silver Primochill Revolver compression fittings.  I'm also very impressed with the EVGA 1300 G2.  Still waiting on the Mercury S8S, but here are some doofy PSU and lightning pictures.  Also, how does one do those expandable blurbs things so I can put future pictures in there?

I've previously only had Corsair PSUs and EVGA really impressed me here.

bmC9ZqV.jpg

Cables.

o1Euhzz.jpg

There was a puncture in my box from Newegg.  Just a dent on the PSU foam.

UpiRiax.jpg

For the price right now, this thing just oozes top shelf.

t3cEpOV.jpg

mkdxEMn.jpg

Dat feeling.

P8yp5ZH.jpg

And, puppy for scale:

fTF78Su.jpg

Dats a really cute puppy

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

As someone who owned a 290x lightning, for how cheap they are right now it's hands down the best ~300$ card IMO.

I wanted a second card, and getting 2 970's made more sense to me than another lightning though, due to the slots on my motherboard.

It's crazy how powerful it is, the Lightning vs one of my 970 G1's, the lightning @ 1200/6400, the 970 @ 1600/7600, the lightning won in just about every benchmark @ 1440p by 3-6 FPS everytime.  Super powerful :D

Looking forward to the build :P

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

As someone who owned a 290x lightning, for how cheap they are right now it's hands down the best ~300$ card IMO.

I wanted a second card, and getting 2 970's made more sense to me than another lightning though, due to the slots on my motherboard.

It's crazy how powerful it is, the Lightning vs one of my 970 G1's, the lightning @ 1200/6400, the 970 @ 1600/7600, the lightning won in just about every benchmark @ 1440p by 3-6 FPS everytime.  Super powerful :D

Looking forward to the build :P

It really is great for the price right now and I'm almost considering getting a third with tax moneys.  Trying to convince myself not to.  I don't really swing either either way between green and red.  They both have their purpose, though AMD's Gaming Evolved is a little lackluster.  The point system is pretty neat though.  With some polish I could see the whole system as being something I would actively use.

Dats a really cute puppy

He's a little shit, though.

psMi16j.jpg

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Here's a quick color strawpoll.  I'm having a difficult time deciding.  In the end, I should probably just stick with me X99-Pro.  It has Deluxe features at a lower price point.  I just feel weird about the PCIE spacing and would like the option to turn off PCIE lanes for future troubleshooting if needed.

Edit: forgot to link the poll http://strawpoll.me/3476487

Edit 2: That's a surprising amount for the Gigabyte Orange.  I feel similarly towards it.  Something just seems to... fit.  Main colors being gunmetal grey and black with accent colors of nickel/silver and pastel orange.  I'll see what I can do.  Got some of my waterblocks in today.  Will post more pictures when I have more.  Looks sort of like an EKWB advertisement.

Edit 3: OOhh, Krait White is catching up.  That would definitely be the cheaper option.  Gunmetal grey, black, nickel/silver and nice bright pastel white.

I'm looking at FC bridges for the gpu blocks and I'm wondering what anyone thinks would go well the EK Lightning blocks.  I'm thinking black acetal would probably look best, but wondering how the clear acrylic may appear with colored coolant.  It would certainly add some color to the gpus, but it would potentially really clash with the nickel/acetal gpu blocks.

For reference, here's the block.

Here's the black acetal FC link.

Here's the acrylic FC link.

My gut feeling is that the acrylic, while possibly adding some nice color, wouldn't really look right with all my other black acrylic blocks.  The same may go with potential motherboard chipset blocks.

Get the black one. It'll match the card block better imo

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

That's what I was thinking, but wanted to see if there were any other options.

Strawpoll? :D

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

Get the black one. It'll match the card block better imo

yes as much as the acrylic block is sexy as hell black (I think) would go better with the card

but maby you could try all acrylic blocks with pastel gigabyte orange color? 

needs a better signature

night theme master race

yes as much as the acrylic block is sexy as hell black (I think) would go better with the card

but maby you could try all acrylic blocks with pastel gigabyte orange color?

Unfortunately I already have the EK backplates and waterblocks and they are solid black acetal. Bitspower has clear acrylic blocks but I'm not a real fan of their slotted backplate.

Edit: I think with the clear acrylic tubing and possibly clear acrylic motherboard blocks, there should be enough visible coolant.  I noticed that the Krait White caught up with the Gigabyte Orange.  I'm pretty sure the board layout is the same as the X99S SLI so that would make this waterblock an option.  Hmm, it looks like the power delivery may be different.  I wonder who I'd even contact to see compatibility.

Strawpoll? :D

I'll do more strawpolls as I progress.  Everything is still kind of in planning phase until I get the Mercury.  It's nearing the 25-30 day point, however.  I anticipate it to ship within the next week or two.

Speaking of the case, I elected to go with a pedestal.  I was planning on doing a thick 360 rad in the top, a thick 360 rad in the left side and a thick 240 in the front, but because it's shorter, I don't think it would have all fit.  Plus, I was reading that some people were having some difficulty with the front i/o and thick 360 rads in the side. So the pedestal has space for 2 thick 360s,  I can put the thick 240 in the side and potentially add another thick 240 in the front.  I also got an extra PSU mount, so instead of buying a larger PSU for trifire, I can put in my currently unused RM 750 in the pedestal to power one GPU and the fans/pump and run two lightings and the CPU on the 1300 G2.  That's way more than enough for a long time and probably unnecessary.

For fan control, I'm not sure how I'm going to do it, I have a number of SP120 Quiet editions that can only be controlled via voltage.  They come with a voltage step down cable, but I can imagine that being a cabling nightmare.

Anyway, things are going... a little more slowly than I'm liking because instead of saving my tax return, I may end up buying a third lightning.

For fan control, I'm not sure how I'm going to do it, I have a number of SP120 Quiet editions that can only be controlled via voltage.  They come with a voltage step down cable, but I can imagine that being a cabling nightmare.

Fan controller? Either knobs or tough screen will do. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

What do you guys think of these babies, lol

ex-tub-3243.jpg

oooooooooh

needs a better signature

night theme master race

They're cool, but I don't think they'd look as good with orange coolant.

I suppose so maby chrome or something shiny might look better.

they are cool though ha

needs a better signature

night theme master race