WD Question Thread - Hard Drives, Dual Drive Setups, Storage Setup Optimization

Hey guys,

This is some info on the new WD Blue SSHD drive: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=ht7zSR

This is basically a HDD with a small 8GB SSD portion used purely for caching. The drive has two versions: 3.5" form factor with 4TB capacity for desktops and 2.5" form factor with 1TB for mobile computers. The drive "learns" what you use mostly and stores the files of those applications for faster loading thus increasing the responsiveness of the OS, loading times of programs and games as well as in-game load screens and auto-saves.  

You can check out more technical data for both versions in the drive's spec sheet: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=4EVIti

:)

Feel free to ask if you have additional questions.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey guys,

This is some info on the new WD Blue SSHD drive: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=ht7zSR
This is basically a HDD with a small 8GB SSD portion used purely for caching. The drive has two versions: 3.5" form factor with 4TB capacity for desktops and 2.5" form factor with 1TB for mobile computers. The drive "learns" what you use mostly and stores the files of those applications for faster loading thus increasing the responsiveness of the OS, loading times of programs and games as well as in-game load screens and auto-saves.  
You can check out more technical data for both versions in the drive's spec sheet: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=4EVIti
:)

Captain_WD.

@captain_WD

If my laptop can take a drive of that high a capacity (it works with a 100GB HDD and 320GB HDD-I haven't tried anything larger) it might be a viable upgrade. Would the MTBF of the drive be greater over a standard HDD as a result of the SSD being used as large permanent cache?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Is the SSD part all WD? If so, when can we expect a full-on WD SSD?

Congrats on 2000 posts, by the way.

@ the laptop should be able to run it without issues. The MTBF isn't in the spec sheet so I can't really comment on it. I will ask if this info is available, but since it's not on the website, I doubt that it would be disclose-able. 

@Captain Chaos thanks for the congrats :) This is another thing I cannot really say. It is WD's policy not to comment on future products and developments until their official release so I'm guessing we will see it whenever and if it comes out. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

Is it bad to have my hard drive mounted verticaly to the side of my case with just a 1" peice of 3M dual lock velcro?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Seems like even more improved secondary drive for gaming. I like it. :) (And I don't mean any disrespect by the secondary drive label, but people usually have full on SSD for OS, you know how it is :)

Any word when we can expect this in central Europe and if it will be priced similarly to the favored WD Blue 1TB. Don't know if you can talk about this right now. :)

Also, congrats on the 2000 posts!

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

@ the laptop should be able to run it without issues. The MTBF isn't in the spec sheet so I can't really comment on it. I will ask if this info is available, but since it's not on the website, I doubt that it would be disclose-able. 

@Captain Chaos thanks for the congrats :) This is another thing I cannot really say. It is WD's policy not to comment on future products and developments until their official release so I'm guessing we will see it whenever and if it comes out. :)

Captain_WD.

@Captain_WD

Ok, its just that I was able to get the MTBF of my AC280 and both of my WD800BB (one was from around 2003/2004 and the other is from 2007), and I use it as a guideline as to how long I have until problems have a high chance of occuring.

PMSL

@spwath modern drives, unlike older models, work pretty safe regardless of the position. It is still recommended to be horizontally mounted, but I doubt you'll encounter problems due to the position. The only true problem might be coming from external vibrations from other parts which can increase the drive's vibrations and noise and possibly damage it so I'd watch out for that. :)

@Frankie It really looks like a great option for a standalone gaming drive and for an addition to a SSD (which I personally believe to be a bit pointless due to the SSDs availability in size, but still...). I also can't wait to get my hands on it to personally test it out and see how it behaves. Sadly I can't really comment on the availability yet or the price until it's released officially. Will notify you as soon as it's out. :) Thanks for the congrats! 

@ MTBF was the old way of estimating with the older drives and it's not used anymore (as the link explains). HDDs are mechanical units and failures can occur at any time due to different reasons with different probabilities. The new measurement tools (the ones that I shared on the link) plus the warranty of a drive should give you a pretty good idea of what a drive's life expectancy should be. :)

Captain_WD. 

@Frankie It really looks like a great option for a standalone gaming drive and for an addition to a SSD (which I personally believe to be a bit pointless due to the SSDs availability in size, but still...). I also can't wait to get my hands on it to personally test it out and see how it behaves. Sadly I can't really comment on the availability yet or the price until it's released officially. Will notify you as soon as it's out. :) Thanks for the congrats! 

Understood. I was kinda expecting that, wasn't sure if you can talk about that or not. No problem, thanks for the answer.  :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

How accurate is the disk URE rate? I ask this because in theory, if the URE rate for a 6 TB hard drive is correct, then recovering a RAID-5 Array with 6 TB hard drives is impossible. 

How accurate is the disk URE rate? I ask this because in theory, if the URE rate for a 6 TB hard drive is correct, then recovering a RAID-5 Array with 6 TB hard drives is impossible. 

The URE rate is essentially accurate (it refers to a single block of the drive being unreadable) and practically has no negative impact on a healthy RAID array (except probably RAID0). The RAID will repair it and you'll never know it happened. URE happens to single drives all the time (every 12TB of reads, or thereabout) and desktop users rarely have any negative impact from this but it can, in some cases, lead to file or filesystem corruption (because a little piece of data is missing.) It is not considered drive failure. URE rates actually matter when measuring parity RAID arrays' reliability rates. In a large array (with lets say URE 10^14 drives), it essentially lowers your survivability rate by one. So if RAID 5 is thought of as being able to survive losing one drive, really it can't lose any. Or RAID 6 can lose two drives, really it can only lose one. RAID 1 and RAID 10 are not affected by URE. So URE is a risk that only applies to parity RAID arrays.

I will ask for more details regarding the 6TB drives in RAID5 arrays and will post again. :)

Captain_WD.

The URE rate is essentially accurate (it refers to a single block of the drive being unreadable) and practically has no negative impact on a healthy RAID array (except probably RAID0). The RAID will repair it and you'll never know it happened. URE happens to single drives all the time (every 12TB of reads, or thereabout) and desktop users rarely have any negative impact from this but it can, in some cases, lead to file or filesystem corruption (because a little piece of data is missing.) It is not considered drive failure. URE rates actually matter when measuring parity RAID arrays' reliability rates. In a large array (with lets say URE 10^14 drives), it essentially lowers your survivability rate by one. So if RAID 5 is thought of as being able to survive losing one drive, really it can't lose any. Or RAID 6 can lose two drives, really it can only lose one. RAID 1 and RAID 10 are not affected by URE. So URE is a risk that only applies to parity RAID arrays.

I will ask for more details regarding the 6TB drives in RAID5 arrays and will post again. :)

Captain_WD.

How come it reduces the survivability of a raid 5 array? Isn't it just a block of data that can't be read....so shouldn't the array be able to rebuild itself, just the data in that small portion would be lost rather than the whole array? Someone else tried to explain it to me, but it still didn't make all too much sense to me.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

How come it reduces the survivability of a raid 5 array? Isn't it just a block of data that can't be read....so shouldn't the array be able to rebuild itself, just the data in that small portion would be lost rather than the whole array? Someone else tried to explain it to me, but it still didn't make all too much sense to me.

It was just an example of what the impact is. It would take way too many drives for such an error to cause one drive to fail/drop out and to reduce the redundancy of an array by one (as a proportion). :) Basically an error of that level shouldn't influence the safety of the whole array as these happen often and the RAID automatically corrects them without the user even noticing. 

Captain_WD. 

It was just an example of what the impact is. It would take way too many drives for such an error to cause one drive to fail/drop out and to reduce the redundancy of an array by one (as a proportion). :) Basically an error of that level shouldn't influence the safety of the whole array as these happen often and the RAID automatically corrects them without the user even noticing. 

Captain_WD. 

I meant, if one drive failed, and in the process of rebuilding the array you ran into a URE, why would that result in the failure to rebuild the array? Why wouldn't it just corrupt that segment of data? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey guys,

This is just a small heads-up regarding WD Blue SSHD:

The drive should be available worldwide already. It may take a while to get into some countries and not all retailers may choose to carry it.

If you have specific questions about the drive - feel free to ask here or via a PM (here is more preferable so other people can see the info too :) ).

Captain_WD. 

Hey guys,

This is just a small heads-up regarding WD Blue SSHD:

The drive should be available worldwide already. It may take a while to get into some countries and not all retailers may choose to carry it.
If you have specific questions about the drive - feel free to ask here or via a PM (here is more preferable so other people can see the info too :) ).

Captain_WD. 

@[member=Captain_WD]

Sweet, though its a shame that they aren't a cheaper version of the WD Black2 Hybrid.

PMSL

@Captain_WD

Sweet, though its a shame that they aren't a cheaper version of the WD Black2 Hybrid.

They are technically two different types of drives :) Dual Drive vs a Solid State Hybrid Drive :) 

Captain_WD.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey guys, just a quick heads-up:

There's a new WD My Passport Cinema that we released. You can find more details here: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=kvIn9d

This is basically a portable 1TB drive designed to be used with a Vidity-compatible UHD TV where you can purchase movies and watch them instantly off the drive in 4K resolution. You can check more info on the drive, the compatible TVs and Vidity-technology on the website. :)

Feel free to ask if you happen to have questions!

Captain_WD.

Hey guys, just a quick heads-up:

There's a new WD My Passport Cinema that we released. You can find more details here: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=kvIn9d

This is basically a portable 1TB drive designed to be used with a Vidity-compatible UHD TV where you can purchase movies and watch them instantly off the drive in 4K resolution. You can check more info on the drive, the compatible TVs and Vidity-technology on the website. :)

Feel free to ask if you happen to have questions!

Captain_WD.

@Captain_WD

Would it be fine watching 4K movies over a USB 2.0 port? I've got a USB 2.0 PCI card in my media center and its got an internal port instead of a header (motherboard is USB 1.1, and I use GPU decoding from a Geforce 6200).

PMSL

This is basically a portable 1TB drive designed to be used with a Vidity-compatible UHD TV where you can purchase movies and watch them instantly off the drive in 4K resolution. 

i don't understand how this HDD any different than a My passport  ? //have to be honest, is this a marketing gimmick slapping a "now a HDD optimized for TV's". 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker