WD Question Thread - Hard Drives, Dual Drive Setups, Storage Setup Optimization

Now that we have 6TB Green and Red Drives, is there any chance of us getting  6TB Black drives anytime soon?

Hi, so im working on my DIY gaming pc and i want a fast hard drive but not so loud. I hear the WD Black is really loud. is it???? and if its not then what can i use as an alternative? 4TB+

I know many, if not all WD drives feature some degree of anti-vibration technology, because vibrations are the enemy of hard drives. Especially so when there are multiple drives cramped together in a small enclosure.

So I was wondering what exactly does the drive have in place to minimise vibrations. Gyroscopes that sense movement and adjust RPM? Read head that adjusts to the platter tilting to keep the optimal distance apart? Something as simple as rubber/foam on the inside of the drive casing?

Newer Windows versions automatically detect SSD's and just run the trim command on them if you try to defrag them.

I built a system 6 months ago with one SSD for OS and programs and one 2TB Red for storage. what's the best way to add another SSD later and RAID it with my installed SSD? I'm thinking of making an image of my drive then put it back after I RAID them, is this a good way to do it?

You should be able to set up software RAID within Windows disk management after you've added your new drive.

I plan on getting two WD HDDs for my upcoming build but quite stuck on the colours. I know one of them will be green where its just going to store movies and tv shows. Im not sure if I should get another greed or get a red one where my photos and photoshop documents will be stored there and will be used a on regular basis and once I feel that my library has reached a certain extent I will get another HDD and use raid 1 on that HDD with all the photos and photoshop documents. Does it seem right to get one green and one red?

Is it worth using SSDs to cache drives? Or are you better off just using SSDs seperately

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

I would like to just take a moment to say that I am very thankful for Linus' channel, I would not know sooo much about computers so well if it wasn't for him :D 

Schools, especially tech schools, maybe around the high school level, could really use classes that cover the same sort of information that he does.

Anyway, guys, if I so happen to get some possible input on this, I have a build I have been contemplating over the last year or two and I would like some input on it. I have a thread post in the (hopefully) appropriate section of the forum here ( http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/289651-my-first-build-looking-for-constructive-criticism/ ), and I would love some input on it.

I am/wasn't exactly sure what this whole thing about WD dream builds was/is about, but  I am interested in hearing more about that if someone could clue me in or point me in the direction of such information. as well, I had a curiosity, for my build, about what might be the best suggestion for a gaming and editing rig? I am expecting to go with a good 120-ish SSD (originally 256-ish, but I wanted better quality and reliability for the same price of around $80-$100 rather than size), and a 3 TB HDD for capacity. I figure I will have all my most used and major programs along with some frequent games on the SSD while I have all my multimedia and games on the HDD. Is there a suggested type (color?) of HDD that is recommended for gaming and editing at such mass storages? what is a reasonable size of SSD for all the stuff I might be using? to be clear, my price range in my build for the SSD and HDD have been around $80 to $100 each.

I'm pretty sure starting with windows 7 windows will not defrag an SSD, instead it will 'optimize' it which is a fancy way of saying TRIM.

So I want to get RAID 0 in my rig but I already have a HDD and an SSD. Would I have to reset the SSD to put it into RAID, or is there software that will work without reseting it.

Thanks!

I assume wd red 3tb would be the best choice for a software raid 5 in a 24/7 linux nas/ftp client/media server.

What no choose a RAID 10 setup?

Yes, Raid 5 use only 1 HD as backup. But is the speed boost that you get that noticeable?

LOL i've watched like everyone of linus's videos and haven't even build a pc my self

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

First of all, Thank you guys for doing this, got a few question & please do forgive me if some of them sound a bit (probably a lot) stupid ,

Questions:

1. For long time storage of important files what time (from the date of buy) should one consider changing/moving/migrating the data over to a newer drive before retiring the old drive after the warranty period is over,  (meaning should i move over the data to a new drive immediately after the warranty period is over or wait until the drive shows signs of failure by which time the data could be corrupted 2+ years)
  2. Does huge sized data hdd (3+ tb hdd) prone to data corruption/failure easily? (heard a rumor)
  3. what's the optimal temperature that mechanical hard drives should run at , it it was for long periods of time?
  4. Does higher priced SSD means those are better hard drives or they all the same? eg 840 & 850 for a normal lengthy usage..
  5. could a mechanical hard drive get damaged easily if it's not placed next to an intake fan (for silent pc with single fan)
  6. is there a performance difference between a raid configuration from the mobo & a dedicated raid card arrangement also in terms of reliability is there any difference between them..& also speed difference..:P
  7. Could you guys explain the color thing going on in in your WD line up(i know red cn be put on raid, green for storage don't know about others) & which would you say is the most reliable for speed & reliability (the best regardless of the price)
  8. How often should one maintain their hdd & their ssd & how?
  9. will you send me a 6tb hdd free of cost :P JK , That's all the question i have for you guys do try to answer those without humiliating me :lol: either here or via PM, again thank you guys for doing this..

- Tech_Dreamer

Details separate people.

HCIywbu.jpg

Just coming through, want to say this is why I trust WD.

Yeah I need to build a new PC dont judge me.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

What types of files are best to store on your ssd and the best for your hard drive?

I have a SSD for my boot drive and other commonly used programs and a HDD as a main storage, storing steam and other large files. I'm just wondering my my HDD doesn't have admin permissions. What is the correct way to set up a dual drive system?

What types of files are best to store on your ssd and the best for your hard drive?

Files to put on SSD:

• Files that are frequently read but not written (OS files, Programs that are used often)
  • Files you want to load quickly (OS files, Programs that are used often)

Files to NOT put on a SSD:

• Big files that are frequently written (If you frequently download HD videos, put the download directory on a HDD)
  • Files that don't need to load quickly (for example videos, music, photos)
  • Very big programs that you don't have the space for on the SSD (games)

If you have a lot of RAM you could also put the Temp directory on a RAMDisk, force your browser to keep the cache in RAM, extract archives directly to the destination (instead of to Temp, then move to destination) etc. to minimize write access on the SSD. But that's just for hardcore users, normal users shouldn't really have a problem with an SSD dying too quickly nowadays.

Should I use an onboard raid card or should I go out and buy one, if so what do you recommend?

HTID

HCIywbu.jpg

Just coming through, want to say this is why I trust WD.

Yeah I need to build a new PC dont judge me.

That's roughly a year and half of 24/7 uptime :P But yeah, I get your point. Actually, I've got over 3 years of uptime on one of my servers (inb4 do you even update bro - yeah, I do. I run solaris on my servers so I can update everything, including the kernel, without restarting) and I use wd drives too. And in the 3 years, I had only 1 drive (out of 8) to fail on me.

That's roughly a year and half of 24/7 uptime :P But yeah, I get your point. Actually, I've got over 3 years of uptime on one of my servers (inb4 do you even update bro - yeah, I do. I run solaris on my servers so I can update everything, including the kernel, without restarting) and I use wd drives too. And in the 3 years, I had only 1 drive (out of 8) to fail on me.

Yeah I know, but I do shut down my PC so you get that is a lot of time :D I had different brands die on me or my friends quicker then that and this one is still going strong :)

@TOMPPIX Impressive :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Dear Western Digital.

The world needs another Raptor X. There hasn't been a good looking hdd since that went out of production.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Dear Western Digital.

The world needs another Raptor X. There hasn't been a good looking hdd since that went out of production.

Damn, that does look good. I would not try to hide something like this. :)

If anyone wonder how it look.

124852-2404p066-2b.jpg

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Is there anyway to build a dual drive Raid 1 or Raid 0 setup to be plugged into a laptop via usb ? a sort of raid 1 external hard drive ? Not NAS, but like traditional external HDD.

Any way of finding out if your HDD or SSD is dying/going to die soon? This would be helpful to know, in the event anyone is experiencing such symptoms :)

Dual Boot Windows & Hackintosh

CPU: Intel 4790K | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero Vii | GPU: Zotac AMP! Extreme GTX 970 | Display: ASUS PB278Q | Case: Phantom 630 | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 

Canada eh? 

So 4 WD Green drives in Raid 5 on a LSI card. Good idea or bad.