WD Question Thread - Hard Drives, Dual Drive Setups, Storage Setup Optimization

noR05j0.png

Planning a new build and need more information about why one storage configuration is more optimal than another? Do you want to learn more about why it's more sensible to store certain file types on one type of drive over another?

Over the next few weeks, some of the technical people over at WD will be monitoring this thread and answering your most pressing questions about PC storage solutions and how to make the most of an SSD + HDD configuration in your system. These are extremely skilled, very busy people, so we cannot guarantee that they will have time to answer every question in the thread, but you will never get an answer unless you put your question out there!

So ask away folks! And don't fret if the experts don't get to your question - we have an intelligent and helpful community here at linustechtips.com that may be able to help you out :)

EDIT, alpenwasser:

Just a quick note: Please don't use this thread for general chitchat/smalltalk as that makes the task of going through the thread and picking out questions to answer for WD's people rather more difficult. Answering somebody else's question is fine of course as long as it's on topic.

Thank you. :)

I have hidden a few posts due to this, just FYI.

Edited by alpenwasser
chitchat note :)

Interesting

this tread will be great for those who are looking at NAS/RAID and the correct drives to pick from WD of course

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I have been wondering which of your drives that you offer are single platter and if you do offer them why it isn't quoted.

It also seems that since SSDs have come forward taking the limelight HDD companies have sat back and not sent their drives out for review and comparison. Is there a good reason for this?

Will the velociraptor's get updated any time soon? They really don't compete well with anything at the moment, especially because you are starting to be able to get SSD's for the same price per gig.

is western digital working on full fledged ssd's ???

They had that one that didn't do so well in the consumer space but if I recall did quite well in the industrial.

Do WD have any plans to extend the Blue series beyond 1TB to more directly compete with the 2/3 TB barracudas?

Hi to Nick from accounting

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

is western digital working on full fledged ssd's ??? 

I'd also like this to be answered too please...

I would love to find out how to get the most out of my SSD + HDD configuration.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I assume wd red 3tb would be the best choice for a software raid 5 in a 24/7 linux nas/ftp client/media server.

Also is there anything planned to complete with the 8TB Archive drive that Seagate has/is launching? What about the SMR technology that they are using as I believe you guys are more headed down the helium route if I recall.

I think @Captain_WD should be able to help you out with any of your storage questions. This guy's full of knowledge in this area, he even has a 'Trusted Advisor' badge to prove it, not that he needs it ;).

I'm quite sure you'll be able to help these guys out mate...buddy! :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

This may have changed but my question is in regards to rpms of drives. Is there any research in regards to making the platter speed be adjusted based on demand similar to dynamic frequency scaling on a cpu? A 7200 rpm drive that goes 7200+ rpm under high load and 5400- rpm while doing menial tasks? 

What is the actual design difference between a purple and red drive? The drive as far as I am aware is identical and there can't be all that much different with the firmware. And if someone says one is for NAS use and the other for recording I'm going to slap them.

What is the actual design difference between a purple and red drive? The drive as far as I am aware is identical and there can't be all that much different with the firmware. And if someone says one is for NAS use and the other for recording I'm going to slap them.

this was a qoute from Captain_WD before on the Red and Purple

The WD Red is indeed designed for 24/7 usage with either constant or occasional data read/write. The drive does power down when not used, but when needed, it powers back on and transfers the data.

WD Purple is designed for surveillance systems and it does not power down.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/285257-wd-red-drive-247/

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Is there really point in getting 2 x 3.0TB hardrives or 1 x 6.0TB. Because like a 6tb could fail and so could 1 of your 3 3.0TB ones. There is probably some noise difference, but just a question. In my case i will be storing movies and raw video files so im kinda stuck between which one to use. 

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

Is there really point in getting 2 x 3.0TB hardrives or 1 x 6.0TB. Because like a 6tb could fail and so could 1 of your 3 3.0TB ones. There is probably some noise difference, but just a question. In my case i will be storing movies and raw video files so im kinda stuck between which one to use. 

Get the cheapest one per capacity, and always back up your data.

I have to ask about WDs Blue drives. They have been stuck with a maximum capacity of 1TB while every other colour drive has been incrementally updated to as high as 6TB now. What happened to the lineup? Why does it still exist?

Using multiple drives is a lot easier to forget about in *nix systems.

wmeevt.png

I think there's a way to do something similar with NTFS too, but I hardly ever see anyone do it.

I have no questions WD.  I just want to say I love you!!!

CPU: i7 4770K 4.2Ghz, Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty Z97x Killer, GFX: EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC ACX (x2 SLI), RAM: G.Skill 1600Mhz CAS 9 16GB, DSK Intel 530 120GB OS, Crucial M500 120GB, WD 1TB Blue, WD 1TB Green, PSU: Corsair AX1200i, Case: Obsidian 750D. 

SERVER HP ProLiant Microserver N54L, FreeNAS: ZFS, 8TB (4x 2TB WD Red), RAID Z2, 16GB ECC RAM, 1Gb/s Link Aggregated:  Running as NAS, Plex, & ownCloud

Hi there WD and the Linus Tech Forum

I was wondering if the Windows Encrypting File Service is any good for data security? and what would you recommend for alternatives? 

Project Devils Delight

Mobo:ASUS B85 PRO Gamer  CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k   RAM: 8GB Kingston HYPERX Beast 1600Mhz    GPU PowerColor Devils 13 Dual Core 290X

Case: Corsair Air 540 strips Storage: Samsung 256GB SSD and a 1TB WD Black (2013 Model)                                                                                                       

Hey there, first post on LTT, just wondering, I am planning a $1000- $1200 gaming pc build. It's my first build ever. Should i get an SSD and which SSD or HDDs would best suit a budget build like mine.

im wondering if theres a program that will make windows reliably download and install new programs to another drive

ive tried the online tutorials, but a lot of things always end up installing to C anyways

This is perfect. I have a PC (I built it almost 2 years ago) with:

• Samsung XP941 M.2 SSD (OS is on this one),
  • Samsung 830 SSD
  • WD Greens in 6TB, 4TB and 2TB (WD20EARS, WDD40EZRX, WD60EZRX)
  • WD10EAVS as USB Backup drive for Windows File History and Image Backups.

My system is already pretty optimized when running. Like Linus suggested I already added Steam directories to the 4TB drive and the Samsung SSD for games that have ridiculous loading times. The only programs that run off the HDDs are Steam games and Origin, none of which load at startup. All my user directories are also on the 4TB drive. So it might be the case that Windows needs to access this drive at boot.

I'd like for the OS to not spin up the HDDs until I actually want to access them. I got an ASUS X97 Pro WiFi/AC board, and I already configured the BIOS to not look for any drive than the boot drive. That works wonderfully and POST time is about 2 seconds, so I can't even see it before the screen goes on. But Windows 8.1 then spins up the drives. With the 4 drives it takes almost 40 seconds until I can log in.

How can I prevent Windows from spinning up the HDDs? I tried setting the PUIS/PM2 jumper on the drives but as far as I can tell, they still spin up when Windows is loading. And somehow it killed the drivers on the 6TB drive and Windows didn't see it. It took me quite a while to figure out to reinstall the driver in device manager. Until then I almost thought it killed my drive.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Do WD have any plans to extend the Blue series beyond 1TB to more directly compete with the 2/3 TB barracudas?

Hi to Nick from accounting

I'm also kind of interested in that the new 1TB WD Black that seems to just be a rebranded blue.

actually i have the same doubts since ssd's are getting cheaper day by day

it would be actually nice to see a full fledged more consumer targeted ssd(120 gb,240gb etc) from a reliable company like wd

I would love to see more high performance enthusiast HDDs but they need to either offer even better performance or a larger size at a lower cost.

I think @Captain_WD should be able to help you out with any of your storage questions. This guy's full of knowledge in this area, he even has a 'Trusted Advisor' badge to prove it, not that he needs it ;).

I'm quite sure you'll be able to help these guys out mate...buddy! :)

I wish I had a trusted advisor badge. I miss my IRS badge. I bet no one trusts me because I don't have one. :P

This may have changed but my question is in regards to rpms of drives. Is there any research in regards to making the platter speed be adjusted based on demand similar to dynamic frequency scaling on a cpu? A 7200 rpm drive that goes 7200+ rpm under high load and 5400- rpm while doing menial tasks?

If I recall there are drives that already do this, just not on a scale as large as your describing.

Would like to know as well. All I've really found is firmware and warranty.

- snip -

Edited by alpenwasser
Don't mind me, just removing some off-topic chitchat to keep the thread on topic. Carry on. :)

Why is the 1TB WD Blue faster than 1TB WD Black ??

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I built a system 6 months ago with one SSD for OS and programs and one 2TB Red for storage. what's the best way to add another SSD later and RAID it with my installed SSD? I'm thinking of making an image of my drive then put it back after I RAID them, is this a good way to do it?

I also want to ask what drive can I get that gives me a good balance between performance and noise levels for gaming and exporting video from an editing software? I know the Black is a good option but it's loud and generates heat, so I was thinking also of having 2 or 4 Blue drives in RAID 10, you might also say that this config is worse than having one Black drive in there, so please give me your opinion.