What do you guys think of this Android security app?

LinusTech

So, the company that don't make any money on the app itself is willing to pay money to advertise it. Isn't that a red flag for what the users are paying with? I.e. their private data? And I bet this app would get their hands on a lot of data.

Besides, for such a big and "legit" company something like this is just laughable:

Pretty much the only reliable app for phone recovery would be cerberus installed as a system app with root. It will survive a factory reset, and be completely hidden..

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

Virus on phone is so BS and that app takes a lot of ram, i bet , not worth it

Ahhh, the advantages of wp. Not popular enough to get viruses / other malicious programs........

But when I did run android I never had a need for a Av, only thing that seems useful is the ability to remove crapware.

From the initial use what I can say is that I have already been doing all the functionality that this app gives with other ways like Xposed modules and things like that. But where is are value in this app is for someone who does not know how to do all that or does not have the time to. This might be awesome for my mom and girlfriend. Both heavy android users but not tinkers or moders. I'll try this on my mom's phone as well. But for now it seems legit. Specially since it's free.

After looking at all the settings it seems that it will at least keep your phone clean and free of crap, but I'm not sure how the AV will affect the phone or how the speed boost actually work. It if it even make a difference. Going to have to try on a mid tier phone like a Moto G.

I'm taking a look through the permissions right now

I've starred suspect permissions

Version 3.0.5 can access:

Device & app history

• retrieve running apps
  • read sensitive log data ** 
  • read your Web bookmarks and history

Identity

• find accounts on the device
  • add or remove accounts **

Contacts

• read your contacts **
  • modify your contacts **

• approximate location (network-based)
  • precise location (GPS and network-based)

SMS

• edit your text messages (SMS or MMS) **
  • receive text messages (SMS) **
  • read your text messages (SMS or MMS) **
  • send SMS messages **

Phone

• reroute outgoing calls **
  • write call log
  • directly call phone numbers **
  • read call log

Photos/Media/Files

• test access to protected storage 
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage

Camera

• take pictures and videos ** WHY?

Wi-Fi connection information

• view Wi-Fi connections

Device ID & call information

• read phone status and identity

Other

• close other apps
  • receive data from Internet
  • set an alarm
  • delete all app cache data
  • run at startup
  • write web bookmarks and history
  • measure app storage space
  • prevent device from sleeping ** If you want performance boost NOT having this is better, this will waste battery
  • view network connections
  • install shortcuts
  • use accounts on the device
  • close other apps
  • read Google service configuration
  • toggle sync on and off
  • expand/collapse status bar
  • draw over other apps
  • full network access
  • pair with Bluetooth devices
  • modify system settings
  • connect and disconnect from Wi-Fi
  • read sync settings
  • control vibration
  • access Bluetooth settings
  • change network connectivity

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

i just got it to try it out its not bad i have AMC Security its about the same 

I think you need to avoid partnering with "security" companies for mobile devices.  I mean for Android, just don't sideload and stick to the play store and then these kinds of apps are useless.  You guys are better than this.  Stick to working with companies you have personal experience with and can personally recommend.

Mothership - 3770k @ 4.5 - 980ti SLI - Z77UD5

Protégé - FX8350 @ 4.8 - Fury X - CHVFZ

I'm taking a look through the permissions right now

I've starred suspect permissions

Version 3.0.5 can access:

Device & app history

• retrieve running apps
  • read sensitive log data ** 
  • read your Web bookmarks and history

Identity

• find accounts on the device
  • add or remove accounts **

Contacts

• read your contacts **
  • modify your contacts **

• approximate location (network-based)
  • precise location (GPS and network-based)

SMS

• edit your text messages (SMS or MMS) **
  • receive text messages (SMS) **
  • read your text messages (SMS or MMS) **
  • send SMS messages **

Phone

• reroute outgoing calls **
  • write call log
  • directly call phone numbers **
  • read call log

Photos/Media/Files

• test access to protected storage 
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage

Camera

• take pictures and videos ** WHY?

Wi-Fi connection information

• view Wi-Fi connections

Device ID & call information

• read phone status and identity

Other

• close other apps
  • receive data from Internet
  • set an alarm
  • delete all app cache data
  • run at startup
  • write web bookmarks and history
  • measure app storage space
  • prevent device from sleeping ** If you want performance boost NOT having this is better, this will waste battery
  • view network connections
  • install shortcuts
  • use accounts on the device
  • close other apps
  • read Google service configuration
  • toggle sync on and off
  • expand/collapse status bar
  • draw over other apps
  • full network access
  • pair with Bluetooth devices
  • modify system settings
  • connect and disconnect from Wi-Fi
  • read sync settings
  • control vibration
  • access Bluetooth settings
  • change network connectivity

I've sent this post to them asking for explanations for why they might need some of these things.

Appreciate the community stepping up to help here :)

In general as long as it doesn't do anything harmful, I have it installed right now and I can definitely see the value of having some of these "handy dandy" things that it does all in one place versus being scattered across sub-menus on the device or multiple apps... ESPECIALLY for less experienced users who don't want to research how to do all this stuff.

I've sent this post to them asking for explanations for why they might need some of these things.

In general as long as it doesn't do anything harmful, I have it installed right now and I can definitely see the value of having some of these "handy dandy" things that it does all in one place versus being scattered across sub-menus on the device or multiple apps... ESPECIALLY for less experienced users who don't want to research how to do all this stuff.

First, thank you for having them explain why on the permissions side of things, Its something I believe that every app should be up front with on why it needs XYZ permissions.

I'm not going to install it, I don't need it, but I am curious

Does the app let you tune what things you want easily and efficiently?

Can you say disable real time protection (which will have a negative battery impact) and it not go haywire because RTP is turned off? 

Like I've explained, the most efficient battery saving technique is combating wakelocks, which google permissions don't allow. The next best thing is actually removing the offending apps.

What I don't like to see is something that thinks that is must have complete control to be any use.

I'm not going to install it, I don't need it, but I am curious

Does the app let you tune what things you want easily and efficiently?

Can you say disable real time protection (which will have a negative battery impact) and it not go haywire because RTP is turned off? 

Like I've explained, the most efficient battery saving technique is combating wakelocks, which google permissions don't allow. The next best thing is actually removing the offending apps.

What I don't like to see is something that thinks that is must have complete control to be any use.

Honestly most of the stuff it does is pretty basic and even included in Android - data limit monitoring, running process list with RAM usage (not helpful to shut them down since many will just open again in 10 seconds, but not bad as an FYI), find my phone, SMS and call blacklisting, etc.

The advantage I see is that the UI is really MUCH better for many of these things than whatever is built into a typical android skin or even stock Android as a "one stop shop" for your sister or mom to be able to find them all in one place and even for myself I could see using it just for convenience as long as it's not doing anything malicious.

I heard back already and it sounds like their plan is going to be to offer more features in the future behind a paywall, but for right now it's just "free with no strings attached" so might be worth giving a try for a lot of folks.

My thoughts exactly.

I don't have a Android mobile.

But it seems good. One of my friend is using this.

Getting good feedback from him after I asked.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

tornadoguard.png

I see the point in system maintenance, and if it works then great, I'd be cautious about the "security" part if you know what I mean ;)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

usually the claims of those apps are way to high for what they actually do. and note that most antivirus apps on android are just wasted money.

Honestly I would never make ads for any antivirus phone app.

Do we really need antivirus on phones now? Is Android that insecure?

Can't help but think this feels like a bit of a con with some scaremongering thrown in.

This is just my opinion of course...

Additionally, given that it's free, how are they making money? (They must be making some right, they want to sponsor LTT..)

99.9% of the time, Android antivirus apps are useless. If you don't install APKs from third party sources, and install only from the Play Store/Amazon, you'll be OK.

Android has RAM management built in since 2.2, AKA FroYo, so unless you're running 2.1 or below, task managers are also

less.

Like people have said before in this thread, I'm getting a "PC booster" crapware vibe from this app, and wouldn't try it on any of my devices.

Edit: They also do popup alert ads on mobile. https://plus.google.com/114504085014068515551/posts/igzwdLbLNy5

New sponsor!

I was getting tired of those Kingston HyperX and PhantomGlass ones from CES :P

Also, 3.5 million people cant be wrong, so I'd say they're OK

So George W Bush was a good president?

And the people who voted Hitler in power were right?

BAM! Lawyered!

Intel Core i7-3770k @4.4GHz. 1.170V - Noctua NH-D14 - 8GB (2x4) G.Skill RipjawsX @1866 MHz. CL8 - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H - Samsung 840 250GB - XFX HD7970 DD GHz. @1125MHz - CM 690 II - Seagate Barracuda 2TB + WD RED 3TB - Corsair RM750X

FiiO E10 - Sennheiser HD 598 - Edifier R1600T - Sony MHC-EX50 - Razer Blackwidow Ulitmate 2013 - Razer Deathadder 2013 - LG IPS237L - Dell P2314H - Philips 237EQPH - LG 47LB561V

LG G2 - HP Spectre X360 - Audio Technica ATH-M50X - Sennheiser IE 60

I'm skeptical of products from this company. Their products has some controversies on backdoors and stealing users' private information in last few years. Of course they have their own explanations, but I would do more diggings and researches if I were you.

So George W Bush was a good president?

And the people who voted Hitler in power were right?

BAM! Lawyered!

Because an Android app and a dictator who committed mass genocide are completely the same thing... 

I see what you're getting at, but that is taking it a bit too far

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

Some of the claims that they are making are a bit odd but the app has a clean interface and is intuitive to use. 

Because an Android app and a dictator who committed mass genocide are completely the same thing... 

I see what you're getting at, but that is taking it a bit too far

Of course, I know.

Just a bit of fun. ;)

Intel Core i7-3770k @4.4GHz. 1.170V - Noctua NH-D14 - 8GB (2x4) G.Skill RipjawsX @1866 MHz. CL8 - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H - Samsung 840 250GB - XFX HD7970 DD GHz. @1125MHz - CM 690 II - Seagate Barracuda 2TB + WD RED 3TB - Corsair RM750X

FiiO E10 - Sennheiser HD 598 - Edifier R1600T - Sony MHC-EX50 - Razer Blackwidow Ulitmate 2013 - Razer Deathadder 2013 - LG IPS237L - Dell P2314H - Philips 237EQPH - LG 47LB561V

LG G2 - HP Spectre X360 - Audio Technica ATH-M50X - Sennheiser IE 60

Hey linus I think that before you accept them as a sponsor test out there product and if you dont like it dont sign them up

Please no.

Anything that tries to "boost" your performance just like a registry editor is aweful.

Malwarebytes to way better than that application as an anti-virus.

This seriously looks like a bitdefender type of product with a shit load of extra features to suck you in.

blackshades on