When are PC games gonna start being released on blue-ray?

Tairetsu

:mellow: I haven't been a big gamer until recently, but how I'm happy I asked my friend for a HDD for christmas lol

I ended up dedicating one of my drives to my steam library. So far its taking up close to 800gb. Thankfully steam is good with having games to a seperate drive.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

With  the amount of people who have disk drives, let alone blu ray drives in there PC's, I doubt anytime soon. Plus I think physical copies will die on the PC soon enough.

Last phsyical disc I got from a friend was skyrim. When i looked on the box it had a steam key and needed steam to install. I wonder what the point was of having a boxed copy.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

With  the amount of people who have disk drives, let alone blu ray drives in there PC's, I doubt anytime soon. Plus I think physical copies will die on the PC soon enough.

It shouldn't tho,a lot of people still like to buy games phisically and the internet is not reliable enough to ONLY have the option of digital. 

Last phsyical disc I got from a friend was skyrim. When i looked on the box it had a steam key and needed steam to install. I wonder what the point was of having a boxed copy.

At least you have an offline source for the data,you do not need an internet connection to install and play the game,I mean steam works offline,but you cannot install steam games offline,with a disc,even if it requires steam,then you can still install the game without an internet connection. 

It shouldn't tho,a lot of people still like to buy games phisically and the internet is not reliable enough to ONLY have the option of digital. 

Problem is you have to dl shit even if you buy the physical copy. Sort of ruins the point IMO. Last physical game I bought was BFBC2 and I had to dl half of it in updates anyways.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Yes,well,any kind of phisical distribution for PC would be good at this point.

Well,console games come on blue-ray and they cost 60$,just like new AAA releases on Steam,so I don't see why it should be different on PC.

Yup,same here.

Damn Gaben and his steam sales :D oh, and lets not Forget Humble bundle :D

Well... you can install the game from the DVD through steam :) I did that with a couple of games I have as physical disks, because 3Mbps Internet :D

I found a way how to do that on the interwebz :)

Edit: Here! :)

* Insert the DVD and close Steam (Steam > Exit).

* Press Windows Key + R to open Run

* Type: "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -install D: (Replace "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" with your actual Steam install location if different; replace D: with your DVD drive letter if different), and click OK.

* Steam will launch and ask you to sign in if you do not have your password saved. Your installation should continue from the disc.

I'm not really sure how bluray would make it so that gamers wouldn't have to constantly switch games, but in any case, praise our lord and savior Gabe Newell. Steam is revolutionary. It makes nearly evrry game you can think of available as a digital download. No more losing discs, no more unreadable errors, no more swapping discs to play a different game. What a time to be alive.

I'm not SAV1OUR. I promise. | Number of successfully bricked phones: 1 Samsung Galaxy S5 | 01001001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01100001 01101110 00100000 01100101 01101100 01100001 01100010 01101111 01110010 01100001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01110010 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101110

At least you have an offline source for the data,you do not need an internet connection to install and play the game,I mean steam works offline,but you cannot install steam games offline,with a disc,even if it requires steam,then you can still install the game without an internet connection. 

The problem was that it did require steam for the install as it downloaded the game instead of using the files on the disc. If you were able to install off the disc (with a little bit of work), you needed steam to activate the game, decrypt the files, and install the day one patch that had been released.

^ I've never bought a pc game via a disk in my life

You must be pretty young.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Problem is you have to dl shit even if you buy the physical copy. Sort of ruins the point IMO. Last physical game I bought was BFBC2 and I had to dl half of it in updates anyways.

Well... you can install the game from the DVD through steam :) I did that with a couple of games I have as physical disks, because 3Mbps Internet :D

I found a way how to do that on the interwebz :)

Edit: Here! :)

* Insert the DVD and close Steam (Steam > Exit).

* Press Windows Key + R to open Run

* Type: "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -install D: (Replace "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" with your actual Steam install location if different; replace D: with your DVD drive letter if different), and click OK.

* Steam will launch and ask you to sign in if you do not have your password saved. Your installation should continue from the disc.

Some games were nice when it came to downloads. I remember titanfall compressing the files from 40+gb to ~22gb for the download and than uncompressing the files for install.

Man I feel old. I remember when mods were distributed on CDROM. :(

To some extent,  and also up until I was 11 or so I only played DS lol

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Better question:

"Why won't they start selling thumb drives preloaded with the game?"

DRM can be done via a their software...

Better question:

"Why won't they start selling thumb drives preloaded with the game?"

DRM can be done via a their software...

Shipping. Probably a higher distribution cost than discs. I'd have issues with USB's getting into the wrong hands now that BadUSB is being implemented by malicious people.

i dont have a blu ray reader and wouldnt spend 60$ for one, but i like to buy the disk just because i live in the country and dont have unlimited internet

The last game that I used a disk with was made in 1997. 

Digital Distribution is my favorite. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

I think if people are living in countries that have really crappy internet they should just be able to buy the game from a store in the form of a USB stick, they could make them into key-rings/collectibles :)

what game is 50 GB?

Where do I start, AC:Unity, Battlefield, Wolfenstien is over 60, etc, etc.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Blu-Rays need to get cheap or standard first. Just getting internal drive is too expensive. €80 vs €20 for DVD drive. Not really that interested.

As for how big game folders are. That is bit different than on how many disks they arrive. After all they are in compressed format in disks. For example, vanilla BF4 is about 37Gb. Or something like that. It comes in 3 DVDs. If all those are dual-layers, 8.5Gb each, its about 25Gb.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Blu-Rays need to get cheap or standard first. Just getting internal drive is too expensive. €80 vs €20 for DVD drive. Not really that interested.

As for how big game folders are. That is bit different than on how many disks they arrive. After all they are in compressed format in disks. For example, vanilla BF4 is about 37Gb. Or something like that. It comes in 3 DVDs. If all those are dual-layers, 8.5Gb each, its about 25Gb.

Technically PCs are the only ones not using blue-ray right now,movies and console games are all blue-ray now,music went digital because not a lot of people buy music anymore (and even if they did music is not heavy enough to justify a blue-ray,or even a DVD) AND EVEN THEN music can be still purchased on CDs and even vinil,so if music gets that luxury games should too,they make a shit load more money than music CDs after all.

But the point of the topic mainly was that phisical distribution seems to have stopped to be an option for PC gaming,and Im not really ok with that,wether it is trough one-way USB storage devices or disks or fucking cartridges I would just like to be able to walk into a store,grab a small pretty box with some sort of storage device inside that has my PC game,just like I can do it with my consoles,seriously,digital should not be the ONLY way,the internet just is not reliable enough. 

Also i'm sure someone mentioned this but I can't find the comment,about how it doesn't really matter because games recieve constant updates anyway so even getting a phisical copy is still like half the game,and I agree,then again I don't think its right that developers are allowed to release games incomplete,but even in this situation I prefer to have the disk with the un-patched version,so at least you can install it and play it if you are not connected to the internet,sure it might be a lesser experience but at least you can have it,and on that subject,if a game is not playable without an update then that game probably should be judged harshly for that reason,and not be given a free pass. 

GTA 5 will be what? 7-8 DVDs? It is better than having to download the game (at least in India). Internet here sucks! I have a 4mbps connection, 450-500kb/s download speeds. But if my downloads cross 35gb within a month, it drops to 80kb/s till reset at the end of the month. Stupid FairUsagePolicy.  

I agree, it sucks in places that have limited internet speeds or capped data connections, but it would have to be a big enough outcry from customers in order for it to happen. It would also have to make sense financially to them. I'm pretty sure they'll say its to "deter pirates." And seeing how Steam and Origin are DRM, I doubt they'll want to "take the risk" allowing for offline installs and authentications.

I agree, it sucks in places that have limited internet speeds or capped data connections, but it would have to be a big enough outcry from customers in order for it to happen. It would also have to make sense financially to them. I'm pretty sure they'll say its to "deter pirates." And seeing how Steam and Origin are DRM, I doubt they'll want to "take the risk" allowing for offline installs and authentications.

It would just be nice if companies took us in account from time to time,from a gamers perspective it really feels like companies only care about the US and western Europe. 

It would just be nice if companies took us in account from time to time,from a gamers perspective it really feels like companies only care about the US and western Europe. 

They dont care about us either. All they really care about is their bottom line. And until thats affected, we wont see change on any front (seeing how a lot gamers will flock to buy games day1, blah blah) .