be quiet! Silent Wings 2 140mm vs PWM Varient

Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

you can control the speed of the fans PWM or not

its just that PWM lets you go down to sub-40% speeds if your motherboard supports it

Recently, I watched Linus' build guide on "How to Build the ULTIMATE Silent Gaming or Workstation PC" and I had a question about the fans that he used for the case. I was browsing the be quiet! website and I saw that there are two versions of the 140mm fans that he used. SILENT WINGS 2 | 140mm (BL063) and the SILENT WINGS 2 | 140mm PWM (BL031). My question is, in order to do what Linus did in the video (changing the fans to run at certain speeds at certain temperatures), do you need the PWM vartient for that to work? Thanks guys!

-Evan

its just that PWM lets you go down to sub-40% speeds if your motherboard supports it

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Would a MAXIMUS VII FORMULA support it?

-Evan

yeah your motherboard has 8 4 pin fan connectors

but if you want to save some money (because the PWM fans are expensive) the non-PWM fans will perform just as well

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

yeah your motherboard has 8 4 pin fan connectors

but if you want to save some money (because the PWM fans are expensive) the non-PWM fans will perform just as well

Cool! And aside from doing what Linus did, what is the functionality with case fan controllers? Say the Define R5, would I still be good with the on PWM varient?

-Evan

Cool! And aside from doing what Linus did, what is the functionality with case fan controllers? Say the Define R5, would I still be good with the on PWM varient?

case fan controllers are usually not PWM

Spoiler

case fan controllers are usually not PWM

Alright thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

-Evan

Alright thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

You're welcome :)

Spoiler