Anthrax 8.0 - Let's build it again!

TheProfosist

Anthrax%208.0%20Header%20-%20Main.png

My largest build of all time Anthrax 7.0 has been going on for some time now (nearly 15 months). I have actually done a ton more than what is shown in the thread (built the computer fully 3x+). I have many logs still for that thread (100+). This is part of the reason why the build log is not up to date. The other reason is that sometimes life just gets in the way. I can usually sneak in time to do a few things and maybe snap pics along the way but what takes the most time is actually going through those pics and writing up a log for each set.

I am making this thread because I would like to keep you, the community, up to date with what is going on with the build. Also this is essentially a complete rebuild with all that has happened, most of which the majority of you haven't seen. The build it self is now going slower as I finally have another job and thus have less free time. Also Chibi PC is now acting valiantly as my main rig so the need for this to be built is less, so other things sometimes take priority.

In general this time around I will likely cover less but what I do cover will be in far more detail. I will be doing this on the sort of stuff that I think is either unique or that someone will befit from. A good example might tricks I have learned over the years or simple mods that many people don't think of.

Eventually I would like to get around to sorting out the rest of the old log as I have many of the pictures sorted and even some of the logs written but that is a low priority to say the least. Maybe once complete it will be able to take the crown for longest build log both in number of logs and time to complete...

Lastly, if there is anything else you want to know or something you think I should add please let me know. All input will be read and all questions answered as best I can. Your input greatly appreciated!

Please remember to LinusTechTips%20-%20Follow%20This%20Topi to receive update notifications automatically!

Parts List

Logs:

00 - The Last of Anthrax 7.0

01 - At last, Progress!

02 - A mod comes out of the woodwork.

Wait, are you ever gonna WC this baby?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Maybe :D but I don't think it would be considered "traditional" ;)

Maybe :D but I don't think it would be considered "traditional" ;)

So, modding involved? Like anything close to @MetallicAcid?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

So, modding involved? Like anything close to @MetallicAcid?

Nope nothing special. It will likely be the least special thing you have seen. Reason is I am doing it around everything that is already currently in there.

Nope nothing special. It will likely be the least special thing you have seen. Reason is I am doing it around everything that is already currently in there.

So just a parts upgrade? It needs a bit more, pizzazz.

Anthrax%208.0%20Header%20-%20Logs.png

Log 00 - The Last of Anthrax 7.0 | 2014.11.12

These are the final pictures of the second complete build I did in my Nanoxia Deep Silence 6. This ran for a total of 5 days I believe before turning into a near 100lb lump. Within two weeks of this picture being taken I had RMA'd the Case, MB, and GPU's. These pictures very likely helped me score my current job along with Chibi PC though, so there's that.

I think it turned out quite well. The main hurdle is the shier number of cables. There is probably a total of 10+ hours into the cable management alone and I wasn't really satisfied with it. The 24pin extension wasn't long enough and I couldn't get the PCI-E power to look good even with the longer extensions. Its also like there is almost too much space even though its nearly completely full, likely because of HPTX compatibility.

Anthrax%207.0%20Second%20Completion%20-%

Anthrax%207.0%20Second%20Completion%20-%

Please remember to LinusTechTips%20-%20Follow%20This%20Topi to receive update notifications automatically!

So just a parts upgrade? It needs a bit more, pizzazz.

Nope more than a parts upgrade but there is some of that too.

Nope more than a parts upgrade but there is some of that too.

Then what's more than a parts upgrade then? There possibly won't even be much after a parts upgrade other than a full overhaul.:D

Then what's more than a parts upgrade then? There possibly won't even be much after a parts upgrade other than a full overhaul. :D

Well like I said water cooling. Ill be going with a complete loop this time, though it'll be a non standard one. There will also be some cool custom touches here and there.

Well like I said water cooling. Ill be going with a complete loop this time, though it'll be a non standard one. There will also be some cool custom touches here and there.

You said nothing special. An open loop is something special. SMH...

You said nothing special. An open loop is something special. SMH...

Well I think you'll soon see that it is done a bit unconventionally and not to the current "water cooling theme" if you know what I mean. Basically the build is not about the water cooling, its just a part of the build.

Talk about a rats nest... and I thought my back was bad.  Granted you have long cables and who knows if it was rushed "I never really go for the perfect cable job" unless it's a paid gig.

But looked like you had some pretty good hardware!

Ever think about going with a case labs case? The extra height may help tidying up the cable job.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

What cpu cooler is that? Cable management is ugly.

Looks like Swiftech H320.

Talk about a rats nest... and I thought my back was bad.  Granted you have long cables and who knows if it was rushed "I never really go for the perfect cable job" unless it's a paid gig.

But looked like you had some pretty good hardware!

Ever think about going with a case labs case? The extra height may help tidying up the cable job.

I actually take slight offense to that because each and every cable was routed as best as possible with the allotted space. As I said the shier number of cables was working against me. Without doing the cable management that I and some of the time a friend did there would be no way that the back panel wouldn't have even closed.

I take my time and put the cable where I think they should go. Sometimes Ill even cut out whole groups if i later find a route that will work better.

If you go to the old thread linked in the OP it should have at least the initial parts list to give you an idea of whats all in it.

I have thought of a case labs though I no clue which to pick. Also there is almost too much customize-ability that I almost dont know where to start. I basically need exactly what this case offers just in a slightly bigger and better built form. With the Case Labs case to get one thing you generally have to give up anther. I am also far more used to making existing cases fit my needs rather than say having one built keeps all of my needs in mind. It is highly likely that my next build (Skylake E) will be planned to be in a Case labs case from the start though.

What cpu cooler is that? Cable management is ugly.

I really appreciate the negative feedback with no suggestions on how to improve. It's really helpful.

Looks like Swiftech H320.

Yes is a Swiftech H320 that I re-did the tubing on so that the run would be cleaner.

I really appreciate the negative feedback with no suggestions on how to improve. It's really helpful.

Yes is a Swiftech H320 that I re-did the tubing on so that the run would be cleaner.

Sorry. Here's the suggestion, black sleeve your visible cables.

Sorry. Here's the suggestion, black sleeve your visible cables.

Hell no! Those cables are 100% custom sleeved and sewen by @ericlee30 Noctua is love, Noctua is life, praise Noctua. :P

Hell no! Those cables are 100% custom sleeved a sewen by @ericlee30Noctua is love, Noctua is life, praise Noctua. :P

lol, they don't match with the black colour. That's why I was saying.

lol, they don't match with the black colour. That's why I was saying.

Pish posh. Nothing matching black, but black matches everything.

Anthrax%208.0%20Header%20-%20Logs.png

Log 01 - At last, Progress! | 2014.12.05

Progress happened today! I mocked up the MB and once GPU to see if the the radiator would fit with a gasket installed on both sides. It fit physically but I found that running screws all the way through the fans was not going to work. This was because even the screw's head was too much to allow it to fit flush against the HDD cage when mounted. I already had to go get more screws to go through the fan on the other side so I guesstimated what length I needed and picked some up. They ended up being right so everything ended up going together very smoothly.

Below is a picture of the rad assembly on the fan bracket for the case. The second picture is of the assembly in my case with my motherboard as reference.

Anthrax%208.0%202nd%20Rad%20Peek%20-%20O

Anthrax%208.0%202nd%20Rad%20Peek%20-%20I

MIKU! sad face

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

MIKU! sad face

Lol, What kind of a reply is that? :P